Lt. Commander
# 11
10-08-2010, 02:20 AM
My @name is the same with my account name -the name with which i log into STO.
I believe many players have that.I dont see this as a security risk because there is still a 12 letter/numbers password.
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-08-2010, 04:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantheras View Post
I believe many players have that.I dont see this as a security risk because there is still a 12 letter/numbers password.
I could use a password cracker on the forum login to get past that. If your account name and forum name are different then once I crack it, I have access to your forum login, but not your STO account because I don't know your STO account name.
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-08-2010, 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by machocyclone View Post
Go to your chat options and you will see where it says "Show Account Name". Therefore the account name is not secret.

charactername(handle)@player1(account name)

Chat Options Screen Shot

That clearly says Account Name.

Every toon that you create will share the same @name cause that toon is on your account. They have different names (handles) but all have the @name in common. That is why there can be 50,000 Picards and 100,000 Jame T Kirks.
You're a bit confused here, and the option mislabel in-game doesn't help. When you enable that option it shows the global handle for whoever is speaking. The global handle is the name displayed on the forums. In my case it would display as Barek@O_Farmer if I'm on my tac officer. However, my Account Name(the name used to login to the forums and the game) is NOT O_Farmer It's something completely different. If your global handle(@name) is the same as your login username, you need to contact support and get it changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praesius View Post
I could use a password cracker on the forum login to get past that. If your account name and forum name are different then once I crack it, I have access to your forum login, but not your STO account because I don't know your STO account name.
That logic is false. You log into the forums using the same account login as you do the game. You can't log into the forums using your forum display name. So, if their display name is the same as their login you would have their login for the game too. If it isn't you wouldn't be able to log into either.
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-08-2010, 05:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
*hands over a platter with a slice of cake* I used a new recipe. Less dense and more chocolate.
Mmmmmmmmmmmm, cake!

Quote:
Well, you've just stripped away 1 layer of security by yourself but that's your call.
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-08-2010, 05:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidNuetronium
Well, you've just stripped away 1 layer of security by yourself but that's your call.
TBH, someone's STO account wouldn't be my first choice to hack...

I would like to ask y'all some very simple questions:

What is your email address?
What street did you grow up on?
Where were you born?
What is your mother's maiden name?

u get the picture - I would probably go after an email account first myself...
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-08-2010, 06:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by praesius View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidNuetronium

Contrary to popular belief Using a password cracker to break a password is not easy task as it might get quite time consuming depending on the number of letters/numbers it contains.
But i would rather shift focus and say for arguments sake you do indeed break my password and log into STO with my account.What could this possibly acomplish ? You cannot even strip my rare /very rare gear as they are bound to the char.Take all the credits ? Lol biig deal.Play my chars ? Excellent ! as they will be leveling while i m gone.Play pvp and make a bad name of my chars ? They cant get any worse anyway
So you see,even if YOU COULD have access to someone elses account ,it lacks any substantial benefit for doing it
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-08-2010, 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetzaal
TBH, someone's STO account wouldn't be my first choice to hack...

I would like to ask y'all some very simple questions:

What is your email address?
What street did you grow up on?
Where were you born?
What is your mother's maiden name?

u get the picture - I would probably go after an email account first myself...
An STO account would be an appetizer before the main course as they say. The account name is already known just type in "123456789abc" for the password(you know someone has this) and you're in.
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-08-2010, 06:42 AM
Quote:
Contrary to popular belief Using a password cracker to break a password is not easy task as it might get quite time consuming depending on the number of letters/numbers it contains.
But i would rather shift focus and say for arguments sake you do indeed break my password and log into STO with my account.What could this possibly acomplish ? You cannot even strip my rare /very rare gear as they are bound to the char.Take all the credits ? Lol biig deal.Play my chars ? Excellent ! as they will be leveling while i m gone.Play pvp and make a bad name of my chars ? They cant get any worse anyway
So you see,even if YOU COULD have access to someone elses account ,it lacks any substantial benefit for doing it
Let's see, delete characters, move/delete officers, move/delete gear, get you banned, cancel your account and buy c-points if you have a credit card saved. You see they can log into your account page too and do some damage.
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-08-2010, 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by O_Farmer
You're a bit confused here, and the option mislabel in-game doesn't help. When you enable that option it shows the global handle for whoever is speaking. The global handle is the name displayed on the forums. In my case it would display as Barek@O_Farmer if I'm on my tac officer. However, my Account Name(the name used to login to the forums and the game) is NOT O_Farmer It's something completely different. If your global handle(@name) is the same as your login username, you need to contact support and get it changed.

I know that when I first set-up the game I was not asked to setup two different names. The name I chose became my game login name and my @name in the game. At the time I did not know that was a flaw in the game. I thought that was just how they set it up.
Lt. Commander
# 20
10-08-2010, 07:44 AM
Quote:
My @name is the same with my account name -the name with which i log into STO. I believe many players have that.
A lot of us "old-timers" had that. We weren't offered a choice - our forum names automatically became our account log-in IDs. I had mine changed as soon as I found out that Cryptic had added the option.

Quote:
I dont see this as a security risk because there is still a 12 letter/numbers password.
I guess I'm more paranoid. My life rule #4 is that if you can choose to leave something to chance, don't.