Lt. Commander
# 1 Starbase 24 Swordmasters?
10-07-2010, 07:32 PM
Swordmasters brought me from full to zero health with a single swipe three times in the Starbase 24 ground action tonight. On Normal difficulty, no less... This didn't happen to me last time when I played on Advanced. Have they been buffed, or was it just dumb luck?

Seems like every time I do this mission on a new character, something gets changed to make it pointlessly difficult. First the insanely short respawn times, then the one-shotting swordmasters - what's next, Munitions Officers that delete your character?
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-07-2010, 07:39 PM
It's been a while since I did this one, but it could just be dumb luck. The Swordmasters just happened to hit a Critical those three times.

The last time I did this the first level was unusually difficult though. They seem to have sped up the respawn times on that first floor. By the time you finish with one group another group behind you has respawned and if you don't keep close track of your BOffs you end up having to fight them again. And then the group in front of you respawns again.

Lt. Commander
# 3
10-08-2010, 12:33 AM
Yeah, funny you mentioned this, I revisited Starbase 24 after a few months of absence, I was playing same level as before and with same equipment (I'm a casual player)...

I was constantly getting killed because:

a) Respawn is too frequent IMHO... hope STO developers take note of this!
(Also because the NPC respawn locations are *very* close to each other due to Starbase 24 layout...

b) Swordmasters did not one-hit KO me in Normal, but 2-3 hits knocked out my health...
This is overdone, it's starting to feel like Elite difficulty! (Yes, i've tried Elite difficulty before on Starbase 24, again same Level and same equipment--I'm a casual player).

All in all, previously Starbase 24 was a challenging but fun place to be if i have had only 20 minutes of playtime, but now Starbase 24 fights feel like work and no longer any fun!

I hope STO developers tweak this again to make it slightly easier like before...
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-08-2010, 01:32 AM
they don't one shot on expert, let alone normal.

however there's at least one segment of sb24 ground where theres lots of klingons around because there's friendly NPCs in the fight. it's more than possible you just got slapped by focus fire + swordmaster swipe.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-08-2010, 05:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyShoe
they don't one shot on expert, let alone normal.

however there's at least one segment of sb24 ground where theres lots of klingons around because there's friendly NPCs in the fight. it's more than possible you just got slapped by focus fire + swordmaster swipe.
It was a case of losing substantial health without losing shields, and it coincided with a Swordmaster swinging a bat'leth at my face. Thus, I'm as sure as I can be that it wasn't a case of focus fire.

Granted, it didn't happen every time I ended up toe-to-toe with a Swordmaster, but it happened far more often last night than it did last time I played this mission (on Advanced, btw). Literally one-shotted three times, and there were a few more times I lost 5/6 of my heatlh with one swipe.

Wish I could say I was making this up...
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-08-2010, 06:35 AM
I've only done Starbase 24 twice, but I noticed a vast increase in difficulty between my first and second runs. Strange though, the second time was much harder, and that was with better gear and better skills.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-08-2010, 07:01 AM
I too have noticed swordmasters being able to take out a significant amount of health. I was doing an explore mission in the Khazan Cluster and he was the last guy left. He sprints over to me and I went from full health and shield down to 50% health. I popped a large hypo and with his next swing I was again down to half health. I rolled back and as soon as I stood up I died.

This was on normal difficulty too. The odd thing is this doesn't happen with all swordmasters, just some. The damage glitch definitely effects all difficulty levels. Hopefully they can figure out what's causing it and correct the issue.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-08-2010, 07:04 AM
the accelerated Movement skill the AI gets seams a bit extreme on the Level they are supposed to have for this mission.

Accelerated Movement for a Klingon PC is a higher level skill then the mission is listed for by 16 RANKS or more. That's rude imbalance. The AI Bat'Leth movement targeting and follow is almost perfect.. and unbalanced for the PC perspective.

its like them in open missions are very different from the Klingon Tourney My LC4 fought in and won.
They are almost "Flash Stepping ref Bleach" They move in patrolling back and forth in a door way like this making targeting almost imposable. and far beyond any known skill or ability a Klingon PPC Warrior has at that level by boat loads of RANKS.

These warping behaviours cause a lag or EXploit.. its not a skill 9 LT .. The LVL is set for LT 4 in the mission description even with scalign should never have your LT facing down against 2 COMMander lvl opponents in the same room.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-08-2010, 11:45 AM
I just died due to a Swordmaster on steroids on normal level while doing the mission "City on the edge of never" , playing with my Sci Lt.Cmdr.

Oh I miss the time I leveled my vulcan with "mindmeld" ability where you would either get a nice expose or what was even better - the swordmaster attacked the klingon mob while my own team all pounding on the NPC.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-08-2010, 06:30 PM
they don't one shot, they just don't. maybe you are -resisted from an injury or something. Swordmasters are mean but not that mean. Dahar Masters can do it on expert tho.

my memory is fuzzy but sb24 might be the mission with the dahar masters that are labeled 'klingon officers'. I don't think so but i'm not sure.

also bear in mind that energy dampening armor offers no protection whatsoever against physical attacks. for fighting klingons id suggest using integrated targeting, recoil compensating, or polyalloy weave.