Lt. Commander
# 11
10-09-2010, 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapolis View Post
This would be a pretty big departure from the norm in STO in general, but I can see the potential of this idea. I wouldn't expect it in the first iteration.
I think this would add a lot to the game. It would use the same architecture, in theory, as missions where you don't take your captain or play as one of your crew, which may be a natural evolution of the tech that will allow BOs to be promoted to player captains. (Ie. the models will all be playable and there will theoretically be a skill transfer from NPC to PC.)

This seems to be a requested feature and one perk of it is that it allows BOs to matter more for things like STFs.

Let me just spitball a way to take this further: what if you could leave a BO behind at a social location and cut over to them via a single load screen to do banking and other activities? Or have missions that involve splitting between locations? The BO would be unusable for away teams and ship staffing and would have a saved location that they are "stuck" at until the ship returns there to "beam them back aboard".
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Let me just spitball a way to take this further: what if you could leave a BO behind at a social location and cut over to them via a single load screen to do banking and other activities? Or have missions that involve splitting between locations? The BO would be unusable for away teams and ship staffing and would have a saved location that they are "stuck" at until the ship returns there to "beam them back aboard".
This would be fantastic.

There are lots of missions where you do stuff on the ground, then beam up and do space stuff, and then back down.. back to space... etc.

That didn't happen on the shows. The away team went down, and if the ship got into a fight, the officer on duty did the battle, like Scotty did often in TOS, and that episode where LaForge was in command and had to separate the saucer to go back and save the away team.

So missions where you're having to fight without your captains abilities and perhaps whatever BOs you took with you, because your planetside and the 2nd officer is in command (maybe he has some basic abilities you could use in those situations)
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Have a BO behind at a social location and cut over to them via a single load screen to do banking and other activities? Or have missions that involve splitting between locations? The BO would be unusable for away teams and ship staffing and would have a saved location that they are "stuck" at until the ship returns there to "beam them back aboard".
I like that. It reminds me of party-splitting in some Final Fantasy games--you might even have to select who stays where, and tailor each team to the duties they'll likely face at that location. It would encourage people to have diverse BOFFs beyond those typically used in away missions and in manning bridge consoles.

I can see where this would be a challenge for them to do in a clean way, though. While switching models should be easy... if the game doesn't remember our action bar layouts, for instance, we'll all be pulling our hair out every transition.
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-10-2010, 08:56 AM
Quote:
The map editor is pretty open and flexible. You'll be able to place props freely, adjust height and rotation, and design your own space maps from scratch. For ground and interior maps, you will be able to select from pre-populated or empty starter maps that you can layer detail onto. Creating custom room layouts and editing terrain is in development, but will likely not be in the first release.
That's kind of a bummer. I hope the wait isn't too long after the release of UGC.

One of the things I want most out of the UGC system, more than making new missions, is to develop new interior maps. Specifically, if there's any way to create your own ship layouts. The pieces we've seen so far in our ship interiors (all interiors, actually) make it seem like they're pretty simple block pieces where the hardest part would be getting them to align where they connect (which shouldn't be that hard if there's some sort of grid system they could align or snap-to). If we could somehow be able to replace wall sections (like change where the door piece is on a room), that would be another big bonus.
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-10-2010, 09:02 AM
Having a "split party" system would force players to utilize more of their reserve bridge officers as well.
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Quote:

I suppose you can use marker volumes to make a game of hide and seek, where the enemy you're looking for appears when you move into the volume. Something like tag could be accomplished once we have patrols in. I'm not sure what you mean by DotA
DotA is Defense of the Ancients Its more or less a real time strategy resources battle game.

Here's a question along similar lines, if we can do hide and seek, will it be possible to hide active players/npcs on the map?
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-10-2010, 10:13 AM
*Original Poster is Crit by Dev Post for 500,000,000.
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-10-2010, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennjahn View Post
DotA is Defense of the Ancients Its more or less a real time strategy resources battle game.

Here's a question along similar lines, if we can do hide and seek, will it be possible to hide active players/npcs on the map?
DotA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OzWIFX8M-Y

Lt. Commander
# 19
10-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomastheCat View Post
Having a "split party" system would force players to utilize more of their reserve bridge officers as well.
big fan of this, as they feel rather useless
Lt. Commander
# 20
10-10-2010, 11:48 AM
How close is this to something like the NWN 1 toolkit? Can I script actions? Place triggers? Have transit locations? Is it tile based?