Lt. Commander
# 21
10-10-2010, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinjiru View Post
Why is my gaming room not like that song's nightclub??????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naevius
How close is this to something like the NWN 1 toolkit? Can I script actions? Place triggers? Have transit locations? Is it tile based?
You can make almost any object in the game a clickable.

No idea if you can custom script missions.

You can have transit, multi-map locations.

This is no tile based. The long term feature Mapolis mentioned is terrain deformation (custom terrain). There are files for this in everyone's existing hoggs but it won't be added at first.
Lt. Commander
# 22
10-10-2010, 03:21 PM
It seems like a LOT of the dev response was "yes, but not until AFTER we release it." Why not wait until it's ready with all the cool features?
Lt. Commander
# 23
10-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felderburg View Post
It seems like a LOT of the dev response was "yes, but not until AFTER we release it." Why not wait until it's ready with all the cool features?
Because that would probably mean that we wouldn't have anything for another year. I'd rather they give us a little something to chew on now, and then build on top of that. If they followed that line of thought with ship interiors, we probably STILL wouldn't even have bridges.
Lt. Commander
# 24
10-10-2010, 03:50 PM
Quote:
This will be the beta version of the tools - just enough to get the kinks/exploits ironed out by players and ensure a quality product is eventually released.
Lt. Commander
# 25
10-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Im disappointed that UGC PVP maps arent going to be in the first release.
Personally Id rather see a bunch of new pvp maps over people creating rediculous storylines and stuff like that.

Also I fail to see how a map editor couldnt be made to create pvp maps..... create map - insert spawn points - set kill limit - pew pew pew

I understand I'm hugely oversimplifying the process but without NPCs, storylines, interactive environments, and all the other things necessary for plot based UGC a PVP map should be easy right?
Lt. Commander
# 26
10-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightw8
Also I fail to see how a map editor couldnt be made to create pvp maps..... create map - insert spawn points - set kill limit - pew pew pew
They're not saying they can't - just that resources are being spent on improving other areas at the moment. Imagine how many of the devs will be able to create "official" missions much more quickly now?

Suddenly the Cryptic offices can have make a mission Fridays.
Lt. Commander
# 27
10-10-2010, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightw8
Im disappointed that UGC PVP maps arent going to be in the first release.
Personally Id rather see a bunch of new pvp maps over people creating rediculous storylines and stuff like that.

I understand I'm hugely oversimplifying the process but without NPCs, storylines, interactive environments, and all the other things necessary for plot based UGC a PVP map should be easy right?
the thing is, I'm fairly confident some of the storylines are going to be GOOD.
Lt. Commander
# 28
10-10-2010, 06:19 PM
Quote:
I'd venture you're fairly new to MMOs (or development in general). In order for things to have evolution, they must first exist in physicality (even if, in this case, it takes the forms of 1s and 0s on electronic media) and not an abstract sense. At least, in this plane of existence. Imagine for a moment that the games in general didn't exist because they weren't made "perfectly". Developers sit developing in abstract space indefinitely because nothing quite fits perfectly. You wouldn't be playing the game yet because it didn't exist. Similarly, concepts start out in their infancy and evolve to be much more than they started (over time) - even if the initial forms are fairly primitive.

I would take map's answers as incentive to be excited. Players will have a hand in the evolution of this process rather than having it either sit in abstract space indefinitely -- or 'fully' fleshed out in ways that the players cannot use when it is otherwise implemented without player input. If I were you, I'd be fully excited that I would have a chance to influence the feature in a way that increases your enjoyment of it.
Lt. Commander
# 29
10-10-2010, 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClingingMars View Post
I can agree that SOME storylines are going to be good....however... I'm of the opinion that the majority will be mediocre and a good portion will be straight up terrible.

I see it this way

We're getting a similar system to the one the devs use....more or less.... and a team of professional, well-trained, creative people cant hit the mark every time.
If the dev team gives us missions that range from a great mix of story and gameplay to someone saying "well theres a portion of my life I'll never get back" than my expectations for UGC become pretty low.
Lt. Commander
# 30
10-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClingingMars View Post
Good? Mine are going to be awesome! Well, the ones I'm not ripping off from Buck Rogers episodes will be...