Lt. Commander
# 1 Players' Horrible Attitude
10-14-2010, 11:35 PM
Greetings

Id like to bring up a sensitive subject that I believe is necessary to improving STO, and that's the bad attitude many players exhibit in PvP.
Firstly, let me say this: I am not bringing this up to complain about game balance, bridge powers, load-out, nerfing, or any game mechanic; this has nothing to do with winning or losing. Both Fed and Kling players are guilty of totally horrible gloating and mean-spirited chats when they win.

It doesn't matter how a game goes; 1 player defeating 5 others over and over again does not give them justification to spew terrible insults and degradations through the chat zone. Additionally, a player who loses does not have the right to chat mean things back at the other team. Such things aren't responsible, they aren't positive, and they turn a game into a bullying-field. I was shocked to hear (read) some of the things that players have typed as they "gloated." I was embarrassed to be playing the same game as them. If a player gets blown up in 10 seconds, he/she doesn't need to be told that he isn't as good as the others. Degradation only drives such new/casual players away. Imaginary space ships blowing up is not the same as a human being telling you that you are stupid/suck/ineffective/etc.

I think the game, the community, and every other PvP faucet of STO will improve massively if players simply stop being bullies.

I'm sure somebody here - perhaps even all of you = are about to reply saying that I'm a nut / softie for having the idea that STO PvP can be a "friendly" experience. If I am really in the minority about basic common dignity, then I'm already out of words.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-15-2010, 12:49 AM
I don't think you're a nut or a softie, I'd completely agree with all that you said.

The problem is you can't teach a kid (or grown-up) morals overnight. I really don't see how this can be fixed, although perhaps if some sort of feedback, karma, or rating system was implemented it would minimize the issue. It's about the only thing I've seen work in some situations.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-15-2010, 05:10 AM
It doesn't need to be a friendlier experience, in my opinion, but it doesn't need to be as rude as it can be sometimes. At any rate, people will stroke their ego as they wish. Just have to accept it and develop a thicker skin. Block zone chat or ignore the players if absolutely necessary.

It's really not terrible in this game, but when it happens it's pretty out there.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-15-2010, 05:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISS Voyager
Greetings

Id like to bring up a sensitive subject that I believe is necessary to improving STO, and that's the bad attitude many players exhibit in PvP.
Firstly, let me say this: I am not bringing this up to complain about game balance, bridge powers, load-out, nerfing, or any game mechanic; this has nothing to do with winning or losing. Both Fed and Kling players are guilty of totally horrible gloating and mean-spirited chats when they win.

It doesn't matter how a game goes; 1 player defeating 5 others over and over again does not give them justification to spew terrible insults and degradations through the chat zone. Additionally, a player who loses does not have the right to chat mean things back at the other team. Such things aren't responsible, they aren't positive, and they turn a game into a bullying-field. I was shocked to hear (read) some of the things that players have typed as they "gloated." I was embarrassed to be playing the same game as them. If a player gets blown up in 10 seconds, he/she doesn't need to be told that he isn't as good as the others. Degradation only drives such new/casual players away. Imaginary space ships blowing up is not the same as a human being telling you that you are stupid/suck/ineffective/etc.

I think the game, the community, and every other PvP faucet of STO will improve massively if players simply stop being bullies.

I'm sure somebody here - perhaps even all of you = are about to reply saying that I'm a nut / softie for having the idea that STO PvP can be a "friendly" experience. If I am really in the minority about basic common dignity, then I'm already out of words.
Welcome to the internet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kougar7 View Post
I don't think you're a nut or a softie, I'd completely agree with all that you said.

The problem is you can't teach a kid (or grown-up) morals overnight. I really don't see how this can be fixed, although perhaps if some sort of feedback, karma, or rating system was implemented it would minimize the issue. It's about the only thing I've seen work in some situations.
Such a rating / feedback system is a terrible idea that is open to abuse.
We have a system now that works if you dont like what someone has said right click their name a select ignore player.

And there is difference between general trash talk lolz and personal sustained and deliberate harassment of another player, the latter of which is rare and of course totally unacceptable.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-15-2010, 05:58 AM
I m not sure what exhibits a more anti social, anti team ,anti-game and fellow player degradation and insult:The occasional ego trash talk in the chatbox/zone or those otherwise SILENT players that queue for pvp and stay idle at respawn all through the match.When being asked why they dont participate ..the typical reply is " I m only here for the Emblems"...To me such an attitude is much more of hard insult than any "owned noob" on the zone.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-15-2010, 05:59 AM
Well nobody thinks you're a nut so far!

I must admit that I love the "amusing PvP chat of the week" thread, it turns up some real gems, and is mostly harmless banter, but yes I do agree with your post for the most part.

It is still a videogame, and some people take things way too seriously, if you do badly you're a nub, if you do well, you get thinly veiled negative comments like "I'd respect those numbers.....if you didnt need so much healing" (last night). There's always a 'but'.

I'd like to see a karma system, and to avoid abuse, it would have to be teammates only that would be able to report.

It would no solve all problems - like people who do not team up, but it would go a long way in my opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-15-2010, 06:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kougar7 View Post

I agree, its not possible to teach others not to behave like AH's

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
It doesn't need to be a friendlier experience, in my opinion, but it doesn't need to be as rude as it can be sometimes. At any rate, people will stroke their ego as they wish. Just have to accept it and develop a thicker skin. Block zone chat or ignore the players if absolutely necessary.

It's really not terrible in this game, but when it happens it's pretty out there.
This is the best advice that can be given, I agree. If one pvp's develop a thicker skin and ignore the chat box.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-15-2010, 06:19 AM
I admire the OP's sentiment, but sadly, wherever there's PvP, there's trash talk. The two just go hand in hand. In any field in life where people compete with one another, you get insults and psychological taunting. It's just human nature.

Sadly we're still a long way off from Roddenberry's utopia.

Just to try and throw some fuel on the fire though, I will say that in my experience, Klingons tend to trash-talk and insult much more in FvK matches, than you see in FvF. I'm not sure why that it is though. It's not that PvPers are immature - the best PvPers I know in the best Fleets are some of the most mature and respectful, nice, polite, helpful people in STO. But still, of the most abusive and childish players I've seen in STO, most of them have been Klingon.

Which is a shame really, as it might put off some people from wanting to play on the KDF side.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-15-2010, 06:41 AM

I kill many feds in pvp , some take it good some take it bad.

Many situations happen in Pvp , its part and parcel of the game , here two examples:

I confronted one fed cruiser , we eneded up on our own and it was a longish fight , i eventually won (after realising i had power set to speed lol).

Anyways the fed player said 'great battle' and we congratulated each other.

Later that night , same thing happened with another player , but another fed player turned up , i held as long as i could , i did see klinks taking a cap so i led them away , me and these two feds fought for no more then a few minutes but our team was able to take a cap , but i was out of heals etc and the two feds beating on me , i decided job was done and got out of there.

Then the usual chat started ' i hate cowards that run!' , 'thought klinks had honour!' this set the tone for the rest of the match. (incidently i said simply in return 'lets do a private one on one and go from there' i then refrained to say anymore in chat even with there constant moaning. (he didnt take my offer up btw lol)

I had a great night in pvp with klinks winning 12 matches to 1 , but the moaning and crying is unbeleivable.

PLUS heres a tip for some of you , we are NOT real Klingons lol i think most will know what i mean sheesh.

Most of the games always have abuse so my idea is this:

Remove Zone chat from pvp so opposing sides cant chat , all the players on fed and klink sides are put straight into a custom team channel , job done!

PvP would be awsome then.

I love pvp but the constant crying is getting to be too much.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-15-2010, 06:47 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fewzz View Post

I kill many feds in pvp , some take it good some take it bad.

Many situations happen in Pvp , its part and parcel of the game , here two examples:

I confronted one fed cruiser , we eneded up on our own and it was a longish fight , i eventually won (after realising i had power set to speed lol).

Anyways the fed player said 'great battle' and we congratulated each other.

This happens most often to me and I have found that a lot of fed players are just as happy to acknowledge a good fight as the next player.

Quote:
I love pvp but the constant crying is getting to be too much.
The only "crying" I have tired of are the cries of "Klingons are OP" on the forums. All the others I can ignore and write off to angst on the battle field.