Lt. Commander
# 151
12-18-2010, 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
Star Wars never took a break. It's always been massively popular. It's toys have never not been sold in toy stores and it's games never not made.
I wish that was true of Trek. I used to have this cool TOS era phaser, but it didn't survive a move to Europe. I still have the tricorder and communicator, though.

I'd like to get my hands on a TNG/DS9 Era tricorder though. Not the plastic toy one, but more like this

But I ain't got a few hundred bucks to spend on an indulgence.
Lt. Commander
# 152
12-18-2010, 11:19 PM
that's a fancy tricorder. If anyone was looking for something really expensive to buy me for christmas, that would be fine, and thanks in advance
Lt. Commander
# 153
12-18-2010, 11:41 PM
Great intro. Not bad series.

Crappy, crappy song.

"Faith of the Heart" makes my soul vomit. *LOL*
Lt. Commander
# 154
12-19-2010, 12:31 AM
Quote:
Audience can be oversaturated, at which point only hardcore fans will stick to the franchise. If the franchise goes into a few years of hybernation and allows the "saturation" to abate, however, it may return with a big bang, instantly rekindling its popularity.
This could be so. Or it could have been the intital Star Wars were so monumental they couldn't have been topped no matter what. The bias of the "first" movies was just too great for the audiences to love the subsequent ones. Then you have the star factor of the "first" ones and the chemistry that was near impossible to duplicate. I dunno, Lucas did such a good job he was before his time and beyond his time simultaneously.
Lt. Commander
# 155
12-19-2010, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
Star Wars never took a break. It's always been massively popular. It's toys have never not been sold in toy stores and it's games never not made.
True - but movies and books? There was a huge gap for some time until Zahn released his Thrawn trilogy, and I think the wave of toys had receded as well, at least in comparison. There have always been good PC games, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizaru
I'd like to get my hands on a TNG/DS9 Era tricorder though. Not the plastic toy one, but more like this
Do want! >_>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klingorion View Post
This could be so. Or it could have been the intital Star Wars were so monumental they couldn't have been topped no matter what.
Well, that is kinda related. You can never always top yourself no matter what - the belief that this is possible is surreal management-level thinking - so you will get to the end of the line at some point. The time when this point is reached depends solely on the quality of what you have presented before, and the longer you wait with the hiatus, the longer people need to "grow thirsty" again.

Imagine that instead of the JJ **** we would have gotten nothing for 5 to 10 years. People would have begged for another Trek show by then. But with the current approach it'll just be another case of "meh" when it comes to the broad audience. I still do not see Trek revived in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klingorion View Post
The bias of the "first" movies was just too great for the audiences to love the subsequent ones.
Mhmm, it might also be that it was "a different time". Maybe it's just me, but I'll take proper models over CGI at any time. The latter still hasn't come far enough to look as good in close-ups. I don't even know why, but you can "feel" there's a difference (subconscious identification of flaws?). Somehow, I also prefer the old picture style in terms of colours etc. Just makes movies look a little more classy.

Or maybe I really am just stuck in nostalgia.

In any case, I do not like the direction Hollywood in general is moving towards right now when it comes to movies. Fancy explosions and lensflares are deemed more important than story. Meh.
Lt. Commander
# 156
12-20-2010, 01:28 AM
Valias,
Before I respond, it should also be noticed when he made SW, Lucas was pretty much building the modern movie FX repertoire from the ground up. Suddenly, surreal sci fi was real. Where does one go from there?
Lt. Commander
# 157
12-20-2010, 03:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint01
You and me both. I think the most we'll get though is JTL in SWG. As for Enterprise, I thought it was a great show that was well cast. It had a lot of potential.
Want, too!
Lt. Commander
# 158
01-02-2011, 03:32 PM
Why is it that the series that had the worst ratings had the best doctors? Phlox was great and so was the holographic doctor from Voyager.
Lt. Commander
# 159
06-02-2011, 07:13 PM
and Sato was hot-o
Lt. Commander
# 160
06-03-2011, 12:57 PM
*thwacks thread with a shovel and drags down the hill* Burying it!
Closed Thread