Lt. Commander
# 11
10-12-2010, 02:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blyn
say what you will about Star Trek Enterprise as a series...

and nothing against the traditional starship zipping thru dramatic space-scapes while blasting the theme song style opening...

Enterprise had the only intro that made me want to like, donate to NASA... or follow the progress of Virgin Galactic.
That was the worst theme music of any series, ever. Your horrible taste in music aside, It was fine when it wasn't the moronic time travel episodes, which seemed to be every other episode at one point.
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-12-2010, 03:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelineAaele View Post
I loved Ent.. Its by far the series with the most "exploring" and "seeking out new life and new civilizations" with Voyager coming in at a close second (remember they weren't exploring, merely trying to get home).

TOS Enterprise didnt explore much
TNG Enterprise didnt explore much
DS9 Defiant didnt explore much (apart from a few episodes in the Gamma Quadrant)

Enterprise and Voyager are actually the series with the most "Trek spirit"
what? are you nuts? TOS defined what the "spirit" of Star trek was.

So no, Ent and voyager couldn't possibly have more of the "spirit" than TOS.

What ever the hell "spirit" is, sounds like the sort of ******** people with out any valid arguments invoke,
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-12-2010, 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
what? are you nuts? TOS defined what the "spirit" of Star trek was.

So no, Ent and voyager couldn't possibly have more of the "spirit" than TOS.

What ever the hell "spirit" is, sounds like the sort of ******** people with out any valid arguments invoke,
The spirit: To explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new cilvilizations. To boldly go where no man have gone before.

Sorry, TOS doesnt hold a candle to Ent in that regard, nor do TNG or DS9..

I mean.. Every single race they encounter (besides the Vulcans and Phlox) are "first contact": The Romulans, Klingons, Andorians, Tellarites to name a few. Every planet (besides Vulcan) they visit are a "strange new world". Every system they enter, every lightyear they travel are "boldly go where no man have gone before"

Doesnt really get more "Trek" than that..
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-12-2010, 03:25 AM
Quote:
The spirit: To explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new cilvilizations. To boldly go where no man have gone before.

I mean.. Every single race they encounter (besides the Vulcans and Phlox) are "first contact": The Romulans, Klingons, Andorians, Tellarites to name a few. Every planet (besides Vulcan) they visit are a "strange new world". Every system they enter, every lightyear they travel are "boldly go where no man have gone before"

Except it's a set up, you know almost all of the races they meet already. so they aren't new and any that are new make no sense because nothing that comes later in the time line has heard of them.
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-12-2010, 04:39 AM
Quote:

So, what you're saying is the show that featured The Temporal Cold War, and ENTIRE season of hunting down a planet destroying weapon (torturing, killing, using drugs), then featured Time Traveling space nazis, a bunch of crazy augments and their geneticist dad, the mirror universe, and terorrists trying to destroy the Coalition of Planets is more of a Star Trek spirit than Star Trek. I have to say, I disagree.
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-12-2010, 04:43 AM
I didn't think it was horrible, but it was definitely the weakest of the shows. Half the characters had literally no defining traits (especially Travis and Malcolm), the only two that got any decent definition were Tucker and T'Pol. Archer was the worst of the five captains, partly because Scott Bakula can't act (I saw only two emotions during the entire run: awkwardness and some RAAAAAGE! in season 3). That show is also responsible for giving us the absolute worst, the absolute ugliest, the most absolutely abominable ship ever created in Trek: the Enterprise-J.

That said, season 4 was pretty good and almost on par with anything from any other show. The Mirror Universe tie-in was especially awesome to connect with that TOS episode (even if the ending doesn't line up with the TOS episode about the MU).
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-12-2010, 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
Except it's a set up, you know almost all of the races they meet already. so they aren't new and any that are new make no sense because nothing that comes later in the time line has heard of them.
Youre looking at it wrong..

Chronologically, Enterprise is the series depicting first contact with the Klingons, the Romulans, the Borg, the Andorians, the Tellarites, the Xindi, the Suliban, the Tolians and so on.. Many of these species are present in other series and/or movies..

Its no surprise that the Suliban are not present in later timeperiods, since the temporal cold war was stopped (remember, prior to the enhancements, the Suliban was just a relatively primitive species) and the Xindi also is (sorta) explained, in that they too became a "major" species only because of the threat the posed to earth (again, as part of the temporal cold war)

For crying out loud.. Enterprise show us the forming of the Federation, it show us the beginnings (and reasons) for the Prime Directive.
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-12-2010, 04:49 AM
Aaaaand it turns out the entire show was probably played during the TNG era on the holodeck.

:p
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-12-2010, 05:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.William2 View Post
So, what you're saying is the show that featured The Temporal Cold War, and ENTIRE season of hunting down a planet destroying weapon (torturing, killing, using drugs), then featured Time Traveling space nazis, a bunch of crazy augments and their geneticist dad, the mirror universe, and terorrists trying to destroy the Coalition of Planets is more of a Star Trek spirit than Star Trek. I have to say, I disagree.
Disagreement is cool..

All Im saying is that they explore more, meet more new people, visit more new worlds than any other show, save Voyager.. And Voyager doesnt take the no1 spot, simply because theyre not in the Delta Quadrant to explore.

Enterprise show us the very first baby steps into deepspace.. The tech is inferior to just about every other warp capable species they encounter, unlike the other shows where the Feds generally have superior tech..

You have to admit that the opening narration (which I define as the "Trek spirit") fits Enterprise better than TOS/TNG.
Lt. Commander
# 20
10-12-2010, 06:57 AM
Loved Enterprise.

Love TOS more.

Love TNG, DS9 and Voyager, about the same as Enterprise.

TOS, Kirk, Spock, McCoy.... Girls in miniskirts. Can't get any better than that.

Camp aside, the original Star Trek set the stage for all of it. One of the most annoying things I felt about TNG and even Voyager, was a condescending attitude toward Kirk's 'cowboy diplomacy' era and a sort of 'superior' attitude they had toward them. I didn't care for it. It seemed to reflect the Berman/Braga dictate that nothing TOS was up to the standard of Star Trek.

DS9 however, I felt held a reverence for TOS, and so did Enterprise.

Now, before you think I didn't like any of them, I compare them all to favorite ice cream flavors. I like them all, but some I would choose first, even though I'd enjoy any of them.

Ken
Closed Thread