Lt. Commander
# 11
10-12-2010, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlot
What would Kirk do?
Are you talking about the Kirk who cheated on the Kobayashi Maru?
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-12-2010, 08:29 AM
Cheating? No. It's called exploiting. Just as likely to get you banned though.
You reported it so the safe thing to do is to not exploit it and not spread word of how you did it.
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-12-2010, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantinople999 View Post
Unless this bug is harming other peoples gameplay
Bugs such as Revlot describes (and he doesn't describe much, and he shouldn't, kudos to him) have been -proven- to do great harm to games.

Ultima Online, in its early years, was plagued by a bug that permanently destroyed the player economy by producing more items in several days than could be produced by the player population through legitimate means in ten years of play.

So many years after the incident, there are still items in circulation that were produced by this bug, so many in fact that it greatly devalued similar items produced through legitimate means. It also gave those players that exploited the bug buying power several times greater than legitimate players. This gave them great control over the player economy and player housing which was based on real real-estate.

Exploiting bugs is cheating, no matter how benign it seems. It is very commendable that Revlot saw the obvious ethical question, reported the bug, and even sought other opinions on the matter.

I doubt the bug he found was as critically broken as Ultima Online's but it is a bug and should not be used to gain an advantage.
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-12-2010, 08:38 AM
Quote:
An exploit, in video games, is the use of a bug or design flaw by a player to their advantage in a manner not intended by the game's designers.[1] It is often colloquially abbreviated sploit. Exploits have been classified as a form of cheating, however the precise determination of what is or is not considered an exploit can be controversial. This debate stems from a number of factors but typically involves the argument that the issues are part of the game and require no changes or external programs to take advantage of them.[2]
)"]Wikipedia - Expl

Hopes this helps you.
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-12-2010, 08:44 AM
To the OP, if you find you want to play the area you've found the bug in, and have to deal with extra components, I'd say it would be safe to say "right click, discard" is your friend. That way, you could (possibly) continue playing the area and be shown to be not exploiting the bug by disposing of the extras responsibly.

Just throwing that out in case you weren't aware of that option on items.
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-12-2010, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Painter_Pegazus View Post
To the OP, if you find you want to play the area you've found the bug in, and have to deal with extra components, I'd say it would be safe to say "right click, discard" is your friend. That way, you could (possibly) continue playing the area and be shown to be not exploiting the bug by disposing of the extras responsibly.

Just throwing that out in case you weren't aware of that option on items.
Yeah dont make the bug affect your play.
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-12-2010, 09:51 AM
Quote:
I have reported it as a bug, it will take time to fix, untill then...

It gives me free ship components that I can sell on the exchange.
I am not currently playing the game untill I can figure this out.
I stoped playing as soon as I figured it out, after 3 free components.

What would Kirk do?
Congratulations on your integrity & honesty Revlot. More times than not its the dishonest individuals we have to hear about – Griefers, Trollers, and fleet bank thieves. Don’t stop playing though. If your receiving “free” components unfairly just discard them. I’m sure Cryptic can review your online activity and determine your not taking advantage of the bug.
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-12-2010, 09:56 AM
'Ahem'... To quote the Official STO Rules of Conduct...
Quote:
When engaging in Chat in the Game, or otherwise using the Game, or when participating in the Forums, you may not:

xiii) Cheat or utilize "exploits" while playing the Game in any way, including, without limitation, modification of the Game's files;
http://www.startrekonline.com/code_of_conduct
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-12-2010, 10:00 AM
Quote:
I have found a paralel path that functions as intended, so there is no need for me to be in the area of space that I was having the bug occur in. The game has done me no wrong so I see no reason to abuse it.
I really hope you are not worried about loot drops. Those are supposed to be free.
Lt. Commander
# 20
10-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsranger View Post
I really hope you are not worried about loot drops. Those are supposed to be free.
It was about those aid missions.
That you got to keep the items(energy generators and whatnot) the people you were aiding needed.

I'm still thinking it is some freakish WAI.