Lt. Commander
# 31
10-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combadge
The last time I heard someone use the "if everyone knows about the bug, then the developers will HAVE to fix it quickly" line, it took the developers a month to fix and a month after that the plug was pulled on the servers and the company went out of business.
o_0 What game was that?
Lt. Commander
# 32
10-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Lt. Commander
# 33
10-12-2010, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
o_0 What game was that?
"All Points Bulletin" by Real Time Worlds, which was ultimately killed by hacks, exploits, and cheating, a poor new player experience, and a slow developer response to those key issues.

The slow response was due to many fubar policies and events happening internally behind the scenes, but none of that is really important to players who are making their "stay or go" decisions based on issues happening specifically with the game, and whether or not they have faith in the developers fixing them.
Lt. Commander
# 34
10-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlot
Actualy, in the responce that I got to my in-game bug report, the boiler plate says that if I wish to involve the wider player base that I am free to post to the message board about it. It will not let me copy-n-paste the text and I am too lazy to type verbatum, but it gives implicit permission to discuss any and all bugs in the forums. I made a personal decision to post this one. And since it is now following me I am unable to play.
I believe you're talking about the standard, automated, canned response from support that includes the following text:

"If you feel that the feedback you provided is something that you would like to share with other players, and discuss on the forums to increase Developer awareness, please share your thoughts on the Forums on the Star Trek Online Official Website, under the Community tab. "

This is where your common sense has to come into play. What you're discussing here is essentially an exploit to make unlimited credits. I imagine the only delay here is in flying between mission maps, filling up your inventory, vendoring the items, rinse repeat.

When I spoke about the "other" game earlier/above that took a month to fix an exploit once the developers (and the community) became publicly aware of it, it too was a money exploit. It was possible to make several million in-game dollars per day exploiting the bug, and it was being abused by hundreds of players, and it took them a month to fix it. Take a moment to do some quick math in your head and then take a guess at what happened to the in-game economy as a result.

The canned response you received to your bug report said "If you feel that the feedback you provided is something that you would like to share with other players" - I've underlined the important part. That's where you have to ask yourself "What will other players likely do with this information? Is sharing it with them a good idea?". You started this thread off correctly by not giving any details on the exploit. But, in my opinion, by the end of it you made a very damaging mistake - one that I'm likely to remember as I watch prices on the auction house scoot up to ridiculously insane levels and wonder why.
Lt. Commander
# 35
10-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combadge
"All Points Bulletin" by Real Time Worlds, which was ultimately killed by hacks, exploits, and cheating, a poor new player experience, and a slow developer response to those key issues.

The slow response was due to many fubar policies and events happening internally behind the scenes, but none of that is really important to players who are making their "stay or go" decisions based on issues happening specifically with the game, and whether or not they have faith in the developers fixing them.
So it's not just that subscriber interest generally didn't match the investment? Fascinating. Well, good thing I never bothered with it.
Lt. Commander
# 36
10-12-2010, 07:42 PM
I dont know if this is your case but it if you have any of those items in your Bank then it will take from your bank first then inventory. Thats what i do is put all those type of items in my persons bank so when i get the mission i dont need to buy anything and it doesn't take up inventory space. If you put those in your bank and forgot that may be why you never noticed the items getting removed... Just food of thought.
Lt. Commander
# 37
10-12-2010, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
So it's not just that subscriber interest generally didn't match the investment? Fascinating. Well, good thing I never bothered with it.
I think in the last ten years every MMO but one has had that particular problem.
Lt. Commander
# 38
10-26-2010, 02:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlot
I have reported it as a bug, it will take time to fix, untill then...

It gives me free ship components that I can sell on the exchange.

I am not currently playing the game untill I can figure this out.

I stoped playing as soon as I figured it out, after 3 free components.

What would Kirk do?
Did you submit a Ticket In-Game to report the BUG?

You can do so at the time it is available by clicking the Drop Arrow on the lower right of your mini map, and submit a discription of the issue.
Lt. Commander
# 39
10-26-2010, 03:03 AM
I know exactly what exploit you are refering to. Please do not discuss this any further. If you have 'figured it out' you should know what to do to avoid the bug, if not it would be in your best interest to stop doing Aid The Planet missions.

On a slightly related note:
If you're trying to level up on diplomatic missions only, there are lots of non combat missions beside AtPs. You can recognize if it's a noncombat mission in the first mission screen 95% of the time, the last 5% are those sneaky ones that disguise themselves as noncombat but aren't :p. And there is a dimishing return on your XP if you're in a nebula that is below or above your target level. As a rule of thumb your nebula of choice would be exactly the nebula where you are offered exploration missions for. (that explore the hromi cluster 0/3 ones for example). Stay in these clusters and you have to do a lot less missions than choosing one and only one. Stick to that suggestions and you might get to VA with something between 500 and 600 noncombat missions (been there, done that).
Lt. Commander
# 40
10-26-2010, 04:53 AM
Didn't I read somewhere earlier that you can right-click discard items?

Although I don't know much about the bug, I would say that is the best thing to do with anything ill-gotten