Lt. Commander
# 1 What a joke!!!
10-11-2010, 10:58 PM
Tell me, are there any decent PvPers out there anymore?

I recieved a personal challenge tonight, from a Starfleet officer (while I was on my Klingon) and this person will remain nameless.

He/She was a Commander. I was a Lieutentant Commander. This person had +16 on me. Still, being one not to refuse a challenge, I accepted, and stepped up to the fight, in good faith.

Now, obviously, a few good shots from something 16 levels above you will kill you. But I fought on, and I worked this Commander dowwn to about 20% health on one round. I figured I had him dead to rights, and worked hard for the kill.

So what's he/she do? Instead of taking the death honorably, the Commander uses a hypospray to get back to full health!

Any good PvPer knows, the unwritten code of honor on the PvP battlefield is you don't use pots. It's a lame excuse to take a rightful victory from your opponent. Instead of acknowledging my skill and fighting it out to the end, the person pulls the I.W.I.N. switch and kills me instead.

What a joke.

Am I wrong on this? I'd like the PvP Communitiy's take on this incident. Am I right, and this person should have taken his/her lumps, or are pots (hyposprays) fair game in PvP?
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-12-2010, 01:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMattSchwab

I recieved a personal challenge tonight, from a Starfleet officer (while I was on my Klingon) and this person will remain nameless.

He/She was a Commander. I was a Lieutentant Commander. This person had +16 on me. Still, being one not to refuse a challenge, I accepted, and stepped up to the fight, in good faith.

Now, obviously, a few good shots from something 16 levels above you will kill you. But I fought on, and I worked this Commander dowwn to about 20% health on one round. I figured I had him dead to rights, and worked hard for the kill.

So what's he/she do? Instead of taking the death honorably, the Commander uses a hypospray to get back to full health!

Any good PvPer knows, the unwritten code of honor on the PvP battlefield is you don't use pots. It's a lame excuse to take a rightful victory from your opponent. Instead of acknowledging my skill and fighting it out to the end, the person pulls the I.W.I.N. switch and kills me instead.

What a joke.

Am I wrong on this? I'd like the PvP Communitiy's take on this incident. Am I right, and this person should have taken his/her lumps, or are pots (hyposprays) fair game in PvP?
I dont play ground.. Far to tedious for my taste.

But..

He might have used a skill, and not a pot to heal..

As for the principle..

Weeeeeell.. The person did nothing wrong, he used the games skill/items as they were intended to work.. While there might be a honour rule regarding pots/healing, thats all it is.. A honour system.. If people chose to ignore it, there is nothing you ccould (or should) do.. Id even go as far as saying you might have the wrong side of the arguement here, since you are trying to dictate how another player (that are following the rules mind you) plays the game.

Yes, Id have been annoyed as well.. But Im man enough (woman to be factual) to take it with a shrug and find the next fight.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-12-2010, 01:21 AM
Quote:
Actually, good PvP'ers will use any advantage they can to win, whatever that may be.

The whole 'pot' excuse is just the lame refuge of a loser. You have equal access to the same tools. It's not like you couldn't use a hypospray yourself or a shield regen. Whining about losing is still whining about losing, no matter the situation.

Next you'll be complaining about focus-fire.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-12-2010, 01:23 AM
wait, so lemme get this straight. it was ground combat, and he used an ability to stop himself from dying? oh the horror of it all! i would like to petition an imdiate ban on all powers that may help one person unfairly or fairly even, win over another player. what are games comming to these days?
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-12-2010, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekvar
Actually, good PvP'ers will use any advantage they can to win, whatever that may be.

The whole 'pot' excuse is just the lame refuge of a loser. You have equal access to the same tools. It's not like you couldn't use a hypospray yourself or a shield regen. Whining about losing is still whining about losing, no matter the situation.

Next you'll be complaining about focus-fire.
To be fair, many games have these "unwritten" rules to only use the toons skills.. IE: No expendables (buffs/heals or whatever)

I dont know the reason for this (possibly because a "rich" player could just bring 2000 pots or rare pots into the game : Example - Full Rejuv potions in Diablo 2 (these would give an instant life/mana heal with no cooldown, drawback or activation pause - in essence, you are able to instantly heal yourself to full, only limited by inventoryspace))
Lt. Commander
# 6 It's a joke alright...
10-12-2010, 04:23 AM
I can't figure out which part of this I find most ridiculous. I'm not a hardcore PvPer and have limited experience beyond this game but I've never been in a situation where it made sense for me to let myself die, effectively handing someone else the win. Maybe I'm laughing at you about this because the tone suggests that they did something cheap like disconnecting or throwing around accusations of hacking.

In the future, don't rely on an unwritten law or code. Maybe you should lay out the ground rules from the start instead of assuming that everyone is going to know what you are thinking. The amount of anger and frustration over this is just silly.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-12-2010, 04:45 AM
Yes there are decent pvp'ers out there. The best pvp'ers go through dozens of power cells/hypos/shield charges in each match. You can restore health and shields with a touch of a button. However, many can expose/hold/knock you back with a simple touch of a button with a skill in their kit or from their passive traits. This too may seem unfair if our character doesn't have this kit or trait, but it is fair and uses normal gameplay.

We also use shields and armor--some could view these as unfair as well.

In normal pvp matches against 5 opponents, if you don't use a hypo... you may as welll not show up to play.

As mentioned--it may be a good thing to lay the ground rules before your next private match.

You fought well, being so many ranks below the opponent, and reducing him to a near incapacitation. Be proud of that and try again. Demand a rematch.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-12-2010, 04:49 AM
Excuse me, but did i see honour and pvp in the same sentence?

Are you THAT naiv or what? In most PvP settings players will do what it takes to win, regardless if the skill is cheesy, unfair, OP or whatnot. Faithborn has a good name for these "honourtanking" players: Scrubs.

I can agree to an extent that fairness and good sportsmanship should be good virtues during any PvP match, but do not expect honour to be one of them. PvP is competitive and people WANTS to win. As they say in Top Gun: "Second place gives no points"

And certainly not the chicks either
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-12-2010, 05:06 AM
Quote:

What a joke.

Never heard of this unless you agree before hand. ALL game mechanics are fare.

Why didn't you use a pot?
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-12-2010, 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelineAaele View Post
To be fair, many games have these "unwritten" rules to only use the toons skills.. IE: No expendables (buffs/heals or whatever)
Unwritten is the problem here. If you expect another player to abide by such rules, you establish this before the duel. If there isn't an opportunity to do so, then you assume that there is no such rule in effect and do whatever it takes to win.

What you don't do, is whine about losing afterwards.