Lt. Commander
# 11
10-12-2010, 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekvar
Unwritten is the problem here. If you expect another player to abide by such rules, you establish this before the duel. If there isn't an opportunity to do so, then you assume that there is no such rule in effect and do whatever it takes to win.

What you don't do, is whine about losing afterwards.
I dont expect anything in PvP (except that people do not use exploits)

Everything is fair game, as far as Im concerned (doesnt mean Ill "do whatever it takes" if I find the use of a particular skill/tactic morally wrong - But I do accept people use whatever it takes agains me)..

To come with a few examples:

Chaining RSP is not an exploit.. The skill work as intended, using two is not "wrong" - I only use one RSP on all my ships (including cruisers)

The pre-fix use of CSV III *was* an exploit - It wasnt working as intended - I never used it myself.

Spawncamping isnt an exploit either.. Its morally wrong, but cant be helped.. I generally try to avoid it, but sometimes (IE: if someone runs back to their spawn or the opposing group never move from spawn) it just cant be helped..
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-12-2010, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelineAaele View Post
I dont expect anything in PvP (except that people do not use exploits)

Everything is fair game, as far as Im concerned (doesnt mean Ill "do whatever it takes" if I find the use of a particular skill/tactic morally wrong - But I do accept people use whatever it takes agains me)..

To come with a few examples:

Chaining RSP is not an exploit.. The skill work as intended, using two is not "wrong" - I only use one RSP on all my ships (including cruisers)

The pre-fix use of CSV III *was* an exploit - It wasnt working as intended - I never used it myself.

Spawncamping isnt an exploit either.. Its morally wrong, but cant be helped.. I generally try to avoid it, but sometimes (IE: if someone runs back to their spawn or the opposing group never move from spawn) it just cant be helped..
Yeah I agree with the above. Using things in the game to win is... how you win. Plain and simple.

Honor in PvP is saying "gg" at the end of a match after you've been beaten or won, regardless of what they used. And that's about it. Fight to win, winning is honor.
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-12-2010, 07:38 AM
KLingon 16 ranks below almost win and fed needs heals to survive??? why, I do declare, klingons are op in ground combat as well :p
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-12-2010, 07:45 AM
Um, really, if you wanted to go by this self-imposed rule, you should have worked it out beforehand with your opponent.
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-12-2010, 08:01 AM
Everyone seems to have missed the main point here. The Fed player was 16 levels higher than the OP. Sixteen levels higher in ground combat and he needed to pot to win.

Fed player did what he needed to win, but showed he had no skills. /endthread
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-12-2010, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frets91 View Post
Everyone seems to have missed the main point here. The Fed player was 16 levels higher than the OP. Sixteen levels higher in ground combat and he needed to pot to win.

Fed player did what he needed to win, but showed he had no skills. /endthread
And?

He won, period, end of thread, BBQ
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-12-2010, 08:21 AM
A senile one-eyed monkey could win against an opponent sixteen levels lower. Fed guy had no skills. Thread still won't end, I want some BBQ.
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-12-2010, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frets91 View Post
A senile one-eyed monkey could win against an opponent sixteen levels lower. Fed guy had no skills. Thread still won't end, I want some BBQ.
Thats my point..

Regardless of how it played out, one guy won, the other lost..

Skills or lack thereoff is completely irrelevant.

/SlideOver BBQ
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-12-2010, 08:57 AM
First of all, thanks for the BBQ.

And skill is certainly not irrelevant. This is a game. This is PVP in a game. Skill is big, if not everything. Skill determines your bragging rights, your reputation - in fact calling other people skilless is a favorite among the arsenal of canned PVP trashtalk, even. You can't deny that.

Look, this would be different if they were equal, and they were both fighting tooth and nail, 100% on their game, and one gained the winning edge by popping a pot. If so, then GG, WP, other acronyms, and give both players a beer for their trouble. But this guy was -sixteen- levels higher, and he was the one who -initiated- the challenge, according to the OP. Dude, if someone pulled that stuff outside of Ironforge, or in Kheshatta in front of their guildies, and needed a pot to win? The guildies would've laughed their vent server into crashing, and the server forums would never let that person live that down.

The OP asked for peoples' thoughts on his situation, of a fight where a -16 player got a +16 player down to 20% health, and the +16 player needed to use a hypo to not die. Mostly everyone proceeded to give their opinions on a different situation, that of a +0 and a +0 player duel, and one using a legitimate game ability to not die. I agree with everyone that the 'different' situation is perfectly fine. I agree wholeheartedly, but that's not the situation the OP gave. That's all.
Lt. Commander
# 20
10-12-2010, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoras_Serenitus View Post
Excuse me, but did i see honour and pvp in the same sentence?

Are you THAT naiv or what? In most PvP settings players will do what it takes to win, regardless if the skill is cheesy, unfair, OP or whatnot. Faithborn has a good name for these "honourtanking" players: Scrubs.

I can agree to an extent that fairness and good sportsmanship should be good virtues during any PvP match, but do not expect honour to be one of them. PvP is competitive and people WANTS to win. As they say in Top Gun: "Second place gives no points"

And certainly not the chicks either
damnit devoras! you stole my thunder!