Lt. Commander
# 31
10-12-2010, 12:07 PM
Why would you expect "honor" when someone 16 levels higher than you blind-invites you to duel? That's two strikes against "honor" right there...

As for the unwritten code that pots are bad, I seem to recall duellists routinely calling "no pots" just prior to duels in other games. I always assumed that if that wasn't stated up front, there's no reason to expect it to apply. Plus, don't forget that STO has drawn in quite a few people who have never played an MMO before and may not know some of these conventions. IOW, that code isn't as universal as you might think.

Finally, if someone uses a hypo, to me that means they're vulnerable in another way. They're suddenly open to exposes, holds, and weapons malfunction until that global cooldown clears. Using a hypo or any other consumable can become a double-edged sword...
Lt. Commander
# 32
10-12-2010, 12:23 PM
don't forget that for evey item/skill used there is a thing called a cooldown, thats when the enemy is most vunerable and for the "no pots" simple solution:
1. Ref on each side/live broadcast
2. Agree on Set, Match, Round rules beforehand with screens saved for proof on each event for all participants to view and recognise of whats said.
Lt. Commander
# 33
10-13-2010, 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMattSchwab
Tell me, are there any decent PvPers out there anymore?

I recieved a personal challenge tonight, from a Starfleet officer (while I was on my Klingon) and this person will remain nameless.

He/She was a Commander. I was a Lieutentant Commander. This person had +16 on me. Still, being one not to refuse a challenge, I accepted, and stepped up to the fight, in good faith.

Now, obviously, a few good shots from something 16 levels above you will kill you. But I fought on, and I worked this Commander dowwn to about 20% health on one round. I figured I had him dead to rights, and worked hard for the kill.

So what's he/she do? Instead of taking the death honorably, the Commander uses a hypospray to get back to full health!

Any good PvPer knows, the unwritten code of honor on the PvP battlefield is you don't use pots. It's a lame excuse to take a rightful victory from your opponent. Instead of acknowledging my skill and fighting it out to the end, the person pulls the I.W.I.N. switch and kills me instead.

What a joke.

Am I wrong on this? I'd like the PvP Communitiy's take on this incident. Am I right, and this person should have taken his/her lumps, or are pots (hyposprays) fair game in PvP?

Although this dude you played sounds like a noob, there is nothing wrong with healing oneself within a pvp fight. "there is nothing more honorable than winning" (worf) lol.
Lt. Commander
# 34
10-13-2010, 07:19 AM
Quote:

I recieved a personal challenge tonight, from a Starfleet officer (while I was on my Klingon) and this person will remain nameless.

He/She was a Commander. I was a Lieutentant Commander. This person had +16 on me. Still, being one not to refuse a challenge, I accepted, and stepped up to the fight, in good faith.

Now, obviously, a few good shots from something 16 levels above you will kill you. But I fought on, and I worked this Commander dowwn to about 20% health on one round. I figured I had him dead to rights, and worked hard for the kill.

So what's he/she do? Instead of taking the death honorably, the Commander uses a hypospray to get back to full health!

Any good PvPer knows, the unwritten code of honor on the PvP battlefield is you don't use pots. It's a lame excuse to take a rightful victory from your opponent. Instead of acknowledging my skill and fighting it out to the end, the person pulls the I.W.I.N. switch and kills me instead.

What a joke.

Am I wrong on this? I'd like the PvP Communitiy's take on this incident. Am I right, and this person should have taken his/her lumps, or are pots (hyposprays) fair game in PvP?
thats a bad joke

1- you talk abotu ground pvp
2- honor? whats honor? healing is part of the game, its an 1v1 right? unless you agreed with terms with him before the match because hes higher lvl, he had all the right to do what he did
Lt. Commander
# 35
10-13-2010, 03:29 PM
I've played SWG, EvE, LOTRO and now STO, this is the first time ive ever heard of this unwritten rule.
If id been fighting you I would have used them, when i fight i fight to win.
Sorry
Lt. Commander
# 36
10-14-2010, 04:59 PM
Quote:

What a joke.

If their 16 levels above you and you are challenged, that should tell you they don't have any decency. Reject the challenge and call them out in Zone chat next time.
Lt. Commander
# 37
10-17-2010, 02:31 PM
Seriously, this thread is a joke, right?

Right??

Perhaps I'm too much of an MMO virgin to know better, but you give me a tool that allows me to, not die, and put me in a scenario where my aim is to, not die, i'm GOING to use it.

As for the unwritten (in my case unheard of) rule, perhaps you should agree to terms if you want someone who may very well have not played another MMO before (this game does attract a lot of Trek fans after all), to abide by what is essentially to them, a secret.
Lt. Commander
# 38
10-18-2010, 03:49 PM
Quote:

What a joke.

That unwritten code kinda died a while ago, it goes back to the days of Diablo 2. Unfourtunetly you will find very few if any players from the generations after that game who would uphoild that. Now all it is "IM GONNA WIN NO MATTER WHAT RAWRRRRRRRRRRRR U SUCK FOR NOT USING ITEMS IN A POINTLESS DUAL RAWWWWRRRRRRRRRRR.

for those who dont know about that "rule" it so you can judge you characters strength by its and your skills not how many regen items can i use items (although there was no cooldown on pots in that game)
using a "pot" in diablo 2 or similer games resulted in ridcule and shame and basicly admitted defeat.
Lt. Commander
# 39
10-19-2010, 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuroshin View Post
using a "pot" in diablo 2 or similer games resulted in ridcule and shame and basicly admitted defeat.
On the flip side, there's something to be said for having the foresight to keep a stack of hypos ready at all times... BTW, what's the cooldown on pots in Diablo 2 compared to hypo cooldowns here?
Lt. Commander
# 40
10-19-2010, 10:37 AM
Quote:

Any good pvp will use whatever means to keep alive.

This includes Exploits until patched and bugs.

In war everything is open minus you backstabbing your own team.