Lt. Commander
# 11
10-12-2010, 11:21 AM
For God's sake, just go to the bar. That's what my lesbian friends do in real life. If you want something different, then IMO, you want to be segragated.

Lt. Commander
# 12
10-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archanubis
I will admit, my statement makes the primarily Vulcan crewed ships like the T'Kumbra and Hera and even the earlier Intrepid rather odd. Considering the Intrepid was a Constitution-class starship capable of crewing over 400 people, and the Hera and T'Kumbra had similar, if not larger compliments, I have to wonder how Starfleet managed to staff an all Vulcan-ship - unless Starfleet's got a lot of Vulcans in service, or the majority of the ships' crews are civilians, which another question in and of itself (especially with the Dominion War-era T'Kumbra).
Maybe that was part of the original deal for Vulcans to start up the Federation with Earth and the other planets and it was just an amendment that was never changed?

Lt. Commander
# 13
10-12-2010, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archanubis
I will admit, my statement makes the primarily Vulcan crewed ships like the T'Kumbra and Hera and even the earlier Intrepid rather odd. Considering the Intrepid was a Constitution-class starship capable of crewing over 400 people, and the Hera and T'Kumbra had similar, if not larger compliments, I have to wonder how Starfleet managed to staff an all Vulcan-ship - unless Starfleet's got a lot of Vulcans in service, or the majority of the ships' crews are civilians, which another question in and of itself (especially with the Dominion War-era T'Kumbra).
The funny part is, there is actually a lot of segregation and prejudice in the Star Trek universe, imo. Especially on the Federation's part, which is sad and you're right, unnecessary. I always thought, though, that this was done on purpose to point out the fallacies of prejudice and ethnocentrism. Ironic, too, since the Vulcans are sort of ethnocentrist themselves.

Remember the scene in Star Trek VI when the Klingons were eating dinner on the Enterprise? Azetbur says something to the effect of, "The Federation is nothing more than a Homo Sapiens-only club."

And even earlier, Spock mentions that Valeris was the first Vulcan to be graduated at the top of her class at the Academy.

If I remember correctly, too, I seem to recall Worf and B'Elanna speaking of having a hard time being accepted by other children in their youth, because of their Klingon heritage.

One of the themes behind that movie I felt was pointing out how important it is to embrace change and new cultures. I think that's been a reoccurring theme throughout the show.
Lt. Commander
# 14 fun times
10-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Well at least the music would be fierce. Just gather your buddies somewhere and wha-la instant gay bar! But I agree it shouldn't be necessary in this time period.
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Identiaetlos View Post
The funny part is, there is actually a lot of segregation and prejudice in the Star Trek universe, imo. Especially on the Federation's part, which is sad and you're right, unnecessary. I always thought, though, that this was done on purpose to point out the fallacies of prejudice and ethnocentrism. Ironic, too, since the Vulcans are sort of ethnocentrist themselves.

Remember the scene in Star Trek VI when the Klingons were eating dinner on the Enterprise? Azetbur says something to the effect of, "The Federation is nothing more than a Homo Sapiens-only club."

And even earlier, Spock mentions that Valeris was the first Vulcan to be graduated at the top of her class at the Academy.

If I remember correctly, too, I seem to recall Worf and B'Elanna speaking of having a hard time being accepted by other children in their youth, because of their Klingon heritage.

One of the themes behind that movie I felt was pointing out how important it is to embrace change and new cultures. I think that's been a reoccurring theme throughout the show.
Think that has more to do with the special effects budget over any sort of actual prejudice in the federation.
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-12-2010, 12:05 PM
What if your species reproduces asexually? Do they get their own bar? Not really a wild time by most species opinion, but I think they come equiped with private "budding booths".
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-12-2010, 12:06 PM
If someone gives you a hard time, /ignore.

Suddenly, you can roleplay that the homophobe likes leather. Problem solved.

Also, who here goes upstairs at the ESD bar?
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-12-2010, 12:15 PM
I do but never see anyone up there.
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-12-2010, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
Think that has more to do with the special effects budget over any sort of actual prejudice in the federation.
Perhaps, but I recall the exchange between Kirk and Spock toward the end of Star Trek VI. The two musing about their personal feelings toward accepting the Klingons, and the Vulcans finally starting to be treated as equals:

"Gorkon had to die before I realized how prejudiced I am."

Then, the comment from Spock about Valeris, "I was prejudiced by her accomplishments as a Vulcan." Valeris was literally able get away with murder, because Spock wanted so desperately for her to be that success that the Vulcans never had previously.

The theme throughout that movie was putting aside differences in favor of intergalactic cultural change. Overcoming old prejudices to accept a new peace.

On another note, I have never had a problem once in-game roleplaying a lesbian character.
Lt. Commander
# 20
10-12-2010, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
I do but never see anyone up there.
That's because they're too busy writing letters to magazines about what a poor MMO we play and a horrible community we are, only to get it debunked the next issue, with the community effectively shunning said person after proving them to be a liar and an attention seeker.

....Ahh. Good times.