Lt. Commander
# 21
10-13-2010, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Kent View Post
I have nothing against giving rewards of proper magnitude for highly rated/featured UGC missions though....
There's plenty of ways they can put design parameters into the UGC so tangible rewards can be acquired in a not-unbalanced fashion. I'm not ready to give the vote of confidence that they will, but there are ways, like focusing rewards into time-gated wrapper missions, and I hope they do something to make the mechanics work out rather than linking it to ratings or dev favor. In the former case, that would guarantee that the most exploitatively rewarding missions got highest rating. The latter just strikes me as too narrowly fickle and likely to be plagued by favor-currying, and would penalize people who are actively seeking out UGC to overwrite or contradict the devs' vision rather than run with it.
Lt. Commander
# 22
10-13-2010, 10:02 AM
Great Interview...
Lt. Commander
# 23
10-13-2010, 02:37 PM
Very nice interview!

Seems to be some confusion on STOked's part about the Genesis Development Tool and the Deferi Series. Genesis was used to create only the dailies such as the Deferi Patrol and Aid Out Post 3. The series episodes themselves were hand written and not created using Genesis.

This might be some indication of how complex we'll be able to make our missions initially with UGC.
Lt. Commander
# 24
10-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror-Master
Very nice interview!

Seems to be some confusion on STOked's part about the Genesis Development Tool and the Deferi Series. Genesis was used to create only the dailies such as the Deferi Patrol and Aid Out Post 3. The series episodes themselves were hand written and not created using Genesis.

This might be some indication of how complex we'll be able to make our missions initially with UGC.
Yeah, I was confused about that at first. The interview cleared it up for me though. Kinda embarrassing to get it wrong, but if I did, I'm sure others did as well.
Lt. Commander
# 25
10-13-2010, 03:29 PM
I'm really surprised they have allowed the UGC to actually take place in the canon universe... I mean it is soft canon - but still, it's kinda exciting.
Lt. Commander
# 26
10-13-2010, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Kent View Post

I for one will be knee-deep in the tools for at least a solid month without food sleep or rest or even so much as a bathroom break.

Ok, maybe thats a little exaggeration. Maybe.
Isn't that what laptops are for?
Lt. Commander
# 27
10-13-2010, 04:58 PM
Stahl is our man...
Lt. Commander
# 28
10-13-2010, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
There's plenty of ways they can put design parameters into the UGC so tangible rewards can be acquired in a not-unbalanced fashion. I'm not ready to give the vote of confidence that they will, but there are ways, like focusing rewards into time-gated wrapper missions, and I hope they do something to make the mechanics work out rather than linking it to ratings or dev favor. In the former case, that would guarantee that the most exploitatively rewarding missions got highest rating. The latter just strikes me as too narrowly fickle and likely to be plagued by favor-currying, and would penalize people who are actively seeking out UGC to overwrite or contradict the devs' vision rather than run with it.
We do want player made missions to have rewards and are working on a way for them to "earn" the ability to give out rewards based on some criteria.

For example - to qualify for having a reward, it must be completed x number of times and have an average time to complete over x minutes. We can also scale rewards based on complexity of the mission and time for completion on top of that. In addition, placing some pre-made encounters guarantees that they will have standard loot drop rewards as well... so in essence, we expect that well made missions that players have approved will grant mission rewards that are worthy.

There is a lot riding on the rating system and how player made missions are policed by the community. We will be adding in features to flag content that could be considered exploitative or innappropriate and have mechanisms in place to ensure that players can't "game" the system in any way.

But don't expect to be able to place 100 goodie crates in a closet and call that a mission - its not going to happen.
Lt. Commander
# 29
10-13-2010, 05:13 PM
Curses! My dastardly plan has been foiled!
Lt. Commander
# 30
10-13-2010, 05:23 PM
What kind of loot will the players have access to give out as far as rewards speaking of which? Credits? Engines? Weapons ground and space?