Lt. Commander
The Great UGC Challenge: We're Designing A Star System!

Third Poll is Up!

(=| Poll #3 = How? |=)

Background:
Everyone is anxious at the bit to see how UGC turns out: the critics would like to be surprised for once and the fans - well, you know how fans feel about creating their own play experiences.

Why not put this time toward something creative and community-driven? Let's build something together!
Our Goals and Process:
Create a star system utilizing UGC Tools. Polls will be used wherever possible to "vote" on what the star system will be like.

The polls are broken into three broad categories for now:
  • Where: Geography / Astronomy
  • Why: Background / Factions / General Story
  • How: Individual Mission Stories / NPCs

To enter this with a blank slate, let me present:
The Rules and Regulations:
I (Darren_Kitlor) will not contribute any original ideas to the discussion aside from questions that everyone votes on. I don't want to tamper or influence decision just because I'm running the thread. I'll encourage discussion but won't be trumpeting my ideas.

Votes get tallied each week to determine what direction the UGC star system will take.

Users on the forum will vote on public forms using GoogleDocs.

There must be content for both the Federation and KDF factions. This, however, does not mean the missions will be identical - just that both factions should be taken into account. Points for agnosticism but, let's face it, there's an army of thousands of us on the forums.

The results are posted each week, prior to the new weekly missions. This catches peoples' attention when they're already playing the game and have time to browse the forums. It also means the greatest number of people can contribute too.
Some Caution:
This will be a community effort. The polls will start fairly closed-end but gradually develop into an open-ended question format. What will begin as simple polling will evolve into contributing NPCs, Storylines, and Missions. As UGC beta tools near release, we'll also have a stronger grasp of what we can accomplish - this is why we start broad and then delve into specifics like missions structure.

This won't be an easy feat. Collaborative projects often fail under creative differences. This is why I will not contribute original ideas (nor will I force the project any one way). I'll only act as a mediator and strive to present as much information as possible (I have no idea how robust GoogleDocs' poll sharing and presentation package is).
Schedule
Results:
[pending voting feedback from players like you!]
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-12-2010, 03:59 PM
Brilliant.

It will be a marvelous social experiment of epic proportions as well as a good test of the UGC when the time comes.

For reference I voted to see some dual or triple white-to-blue star action with a variety of planets warm and cold set in the new Pellias sector block.

Booya for dark creepy space.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-12-2010, 04:10 PM
This is a terrific idea Darren. I am looking forward to contributing and seeing how it evolves.

I voted almost the same way as JK, though I opted for the Eta Eridani sector so the Klinks can get to it easily, and thought having a Derelict ship as a possible mission location might be a neat feature in the system.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-12-2010, 04:13 PM
I dont quite understand how this works. The entrypoint will have to be attached to one of the existing systems.

So are you gonna do the "Celes" thing where you warp to these various areas from the "main" system which isn't User Created?
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
The Great UGC Challenge: We're Designing A Star System!

First Poll is Up!

(=| Poll #1: Where (open for voting) |=)

Background:
Everyone is anxious at the bit to see how UGC turns out: the critics would like to be surprised for once and the fans - well, you know how fans feel about creating their own play experiences.

Why not put this time toward something creative and community-driven? Let's build something together!
Our Goals and Process:
Create a star system utilizing UGC Tools. Polls will be used wherever possible to "vote" on what the star system will be like.

The polls are broken into three broad categories for now:
  • Where: Geography / Astronomy
  • Why: Background / Factions / General Story
  • How: Individual Mission Stories / NPCs

To enter this with a blank slate, let me present:
The Rules and Regulations:
I (Darren_Kitlor) will not contribute any original ideas to the discussion aside from questions that everyone votes on. I don't want to tamper or influence decision just because I'm running the thread. I'll encourage discussion but won't be trumpeting my ideas.

Votes get tallied each week to determine what direction the UGC star system will take.

Users on the forum will vote on public forms using GoogleDocs.

There must be content for both the Federation and KDF factions. This, however, does not mean the missions will be identical - just that both factions should be taken into account. Points for agnosticism but, let's face it, there's an army of thousands of us on the forums.

The results are posted each week, prior to the new weekly missions. This catches peoples' attention when they're already playing the game and have time to browse the forums. It also means the greatest number of people can contribute too.
Some Caution:
This will be a community effort. The polls will start fairly closed-end but gradually develop into an open-ended question format. What will begin as simple polling will evolve into contributing NPCs, Storylines, and Missions. As UGC beta tools near release, we'll also have a stronger grasp of what we can accomplish - this is why we start broad and then delve into specifics like missions structure.

This won't be an easy feat. Collaborative projects often fail under creative differences. This is why I will not contribute original ideas (nor will I force the project any one way). I'll only act as a mediator and strive to present as much information as possible (I have no idea how robust GoogleDocs' poll sharing and presentation package is).
Schedule
  • (=| Poll #1: Where (open for voting) |=)
    Results will be posted Saturday, October 16.

• (=| Poll #2 Why (pending results from Poll #1) |=)
    Results will be posted Saturday, October 23.

• (=| Poll #3: How (pending results from Poll #1) |=)
    Results will be posted Saturday, October 30.

Results:
[pending voting feedback from players like you!]
D,

You should post this on the blog too, maybe linking to this thread.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberion1701
I dont quite understand how this works. The entrypoint will have to be attached to one of the existing systems.

So are you gonna do the "Celes" thing where you warp to these various areas from the "main" system which isn't User Created?
We'll decide the entry point once we know which sector block it should take place in - since the entry points are integrated with the game's fiction, we'll also choose a "quest-giver" when it comes time to drawing up the storyline.

Even if we can get a full system up and running - we'll at least have a community driven quest chain.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-12-2010, 05:08 PM
To give one of the few TOS series original races some more attention I decided to go with the Devron Sector on the Federation/Romulan border. I selected a Black Dwarf star - mainly because they are not supposed to exist Only a few items of note remain in the system, mainly Asteroid belts, dwarf planets, and moons.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avion65
To give one of the few TOS series original races some more attention I decided to go with the Devron Sector on the Federation/Romulan border. I selected a Black Dwarf star - mainly because they are not supposed to exist Only a few items of note remain in the system, mainly Asteroid belts, dwarf planets, and moons.
Black dwarfs are theoretically burnt-out white dwaves. They no longer generate significant energy or light.

However, duergar don't like your insinuation about their existence.

====

I realize that the polls run fairly quickly but the idea is to always keep momentum each week - rather than fade out.

Start thinking of races either from the shows or getting your own race made from the alien editor!

Suggest a race in this thread and I'll make sure to include in the next poll this Saturday.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-12-2010, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Black dwarfs are theoretically burnt-out white dwaves. They no longer generate significant energy or light.

However, duergar don't like your insinuation about their existence.

====

I realize that the polls run fairly quickly but the idea is to always keep momentum each week - rather than fade out.

Start thinking of races either from the shows or getting your own race made from the alien editor!

Suggest a race in this thread and I'll make sure to include in the next poll this Saturday.
Kastryn Race
This race has been considered extinct for ages mostly because even the ruins of their civilization have long fallen to dust and ashes. Still the Kastryn record left behind indicates a race advanced in the skills of bio-genetic engineering and the advanced geological and ecological engineering of their own planet as well as the few planets they visited. However, their space-faring capabilities were limited to STL technology so their colonies were few. The most promising of these colonies have long been blasted by the solar winds as they orbit the decaying husks of their dying suns. Surprisingly, one such colony managed to survive the death of its sun in vast thermal caves far beneath the planets surface - but what lengths will a dying race go to too survive and at what cost?

Note: This background is extracted from my own custom alien race created in the Character creator. Elements of this races design have been borrowed from other sources, mostly old science fiction books and old television episodes.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-12-2010, 08:24 PM
This sounds awesome...can't wait to see how it develops and help contribute as well