Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
1st this was taken from the syfy site:

While we were filming Nemesis an idea was being developed by John Logan, the screenwriter of Nemesis, and Brent Spiner for a fifth and final movie. It was a very exciting idea for a screenplay. It would have been a real farewell to Next Generation, but it would have involved other historic aspects of Star Trek as well. I can't go into details because the project wasn't mine. When that didn't happen, the studio announced in its own inimitable way that we were suffering from franchise fatigue and that there was to be no more, and I am absolutely content with that. I remain very proud of the work that we did, very proud of the series and the movies, but I do not wish to return to it.

http://blastr.com/2010/10/patrick-stewart-says-the.php

Ok this is very interesting to me, and makes me wonder what was the planned 5th TNG movie. It's a shame really, I would have loved to see a good send off, like they gave Kirk and the gang, but it is what it is. (

So what do you think the 5th movie was going to be about?
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-13-2010, 05:14 AM
I think they started running out of ideas after First Contact. The plots got weaker from there, and in the case of Nemesis, even entirely borrowed (from Wrath of Khan).

I think a fifth movie wouldn't have lived up to expectations.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-13-2010, 05:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
I think they started running out of ideas after First Contact. The plots got weaker from there, and in the case of Nemesis, even entirely borrowed (from Wrath of Khan).

I think a fifth movie wouldn't have lived up to expectations.
Pretty much this. Insurrection and Nemesis were outright terrible movies (no reason Nemesis needed to throw out everything they were building up during TNG), Generations had massive logic flaws and was disappointing in general, and First Contact only halfway decent, but was at least coherent and more-or-less made sense (and was a good excuse to see Cochrane).

If it was being written by Spiner, it probably would have included some deus ex machina to bring Data back that would have made even less sense than Spock's return.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-13-2010, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Cedric View Post
So what do you think the 5th movie was going to be about?
My bets? An attempt to make what Generations *should* have been.
EG a decent multi-series multi-generation crossover.

Irrespective, I wish they'd novelize it.

And for the record, Insurrection was my all time favorite Trek film. :p
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-13-2010, 07:15 AM
Quote:
Quote:
in the case of Nemesis, even entirely borrowed (from Wrath of Khan).
Quote:
entirely borrowed (from Wrath of Khan).
What are you talking about?
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-13-2010, 07:23 AM
I'm talking about the genetically engineered villain with a long-standing grudge against the protagonist capturing him, torturing him, and participating in an epic space battle with him, but eventually being destroyed by his own hubris.

It was good when it was done in Wrath of Khan.

It was mediocre at best when it was done in Nemesis.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-13-2010, 07:29 AM
that sounds like an extremely overgeneralized plot layout, and its not even accurate. To say that Nemesis is anything like Wrath of Khan is an insult to WoK. You might has well have said, There is a bad guy and he has a ship and the good guy also has a ship and needs to stop him.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-13-2010, 07:34 AM
Not really. What I said is what happened, in both movies.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-13-2010, 07:38 AM
So then Wrath of Khan was a crappy movie. got it.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-13-2010, 07:40 AM
Did I say that? I'm almost certain I said the exact opposite. Pay attention.

Wrath of Khan was a good movie.

Nemesis was a formulaic copy of Wrath of Khan, with names, locales, and background changed to reflect both the time period and the new characters. As a result, it essentially copied the basic plot of Wrath of Khan. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't anything new, and therefore wasn't all that good, either.