Lt. Commander
# 1 Idea For The Cryptic Devs
10-13-2010, 07:29 PM
My idea for the Devs, is we have volunteers in every job you can think about. Why not the gaming community, I know of one company that has already done that Valve they let people use their source engine to add more content to their games.

My idea is we have a lot programmers that play Star Trek online, that I am more then sure that they would be willing to volunteer there time to help Cryptic Studios make Star Trek online even better.

Cryptic Studios could start a volunteer programmer forums and a special contract that they will give you part of their engine for you to help them program certain things in Star Trek online. If you break the contract can be sued so on so on.

I'm sure cryptic and come up with some good legal terms but you get the basics of the idea...

I like to see what you all think on this idea. You can add to it and I'd also like to see what cryptic things about it especially with this new user generated content coming out soon.....
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-13-2010, 07:33 PM
I think the upcoming UGC tools will provide a way for anybody with an idea and some time on their hands to create additional content for STO.

Unless you're talking about creating new textures, ships etc.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-14-2010, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrayl View Post
I think the upcoming UGC tools will provide a way for anybody with an idea and some time on their hands to create additional content for STO.

Unless you're talking about creating new textures, ships etc.
Yes and much more!!!
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-14-2010, 08:20 AM
I believe this has been covered earlier. There are certain legal issues when Cryptic uses something fan made that would be intrinsic to the game. For example, a while back some minigames were made and screens were photoshopped. These were of such quality that Cryptic wanted to use them, but had to go through the entire process of buying the rights to them.

The Foundry avoids this by just being a mix-and-match mission writor, but entire ships and textures are another subject entirely.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-14-2010, 08:25 AM
Good idea, but I don't think this will ever happen.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-14-2010, 08:25 AM
I doubt CBS would ever allow it, they have to approve everything that Cryptic puts into the game.

Cryptic would have a hard time keeping control of the game.

Volunteers would need to be at en expert programming level and taught how the engine works, etc. This wastes Cryptic's time.

If this game became open source it would basically put Cryptic's engine out for everyone to see, which I doubt they would want.

I can think of plenty more reasons why this is a bad idea and would never happen, and why I would never want to see it happen.

Let Cryptic do their job. I am sure the devs work very hard on this game and get out as much content as possible that is bug-free. More random volunteers would just add more problems to the game.

There is an old saying, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Lt. Commander
# 7 You there Cryptic
10-14-2010, 08:29 AM
Yes you are right but if Valve can do it so can Cryptic and i know they need all the help they can get. Think for one min why do you thank there making the UGC for every one in the first place....

All I am saying lets step it up a little more and we will be blow away with what the fans can do... If Cryptic dont like what they do or CBS then they dont have to use it...

Just saying
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-14-2010, 08:32 AM
I'm sure a structure could be set up where people could provide content... from artwork to code... and the elements would then be submitted through a process that transfers the rights to Cryptic. It's an intriguing idea, and the company I work for actually have a similar structure in place... we outsource components of our software, essentially 'purchasing' them from smaller dev companies. This would be the same, except that the 'purchase' would be for free.

However, there are downsides to the approach. One needs a correspondingly bigger QA team to check and implement the components, one needs software that's modular enough to support the process through stable APIs, and so on. The UGC is a very interesting first step... perhaps it will continue to expand to allow more user content, with further restrictions.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-14-2010, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden View Post
Yes you are right but if Valve can do it so can Cryptic and i know they need all the help they can get. Think for one min why do you thank there making the UGC for every one in the first place....

All I am saying lets step it up a little more and we will be blow away with what the fans can do... If Cryptic dont like what they do or CBS then they dont have to use it...

Just saying
There is no denying the fact that Cryptic can do it, but it will NOT happen. There are too many legal issues. There are copyrights, CBS's approval, the fact that their engine would become available to their competitors, etc. Too many things that make this idea horrible.

How do you know they need help? Do you work with them? Do you see their daily routine? You don't know, you are just making an assumption.

I don't need to think about why they are making UGC, I KNOW why. It is a highly requested feature among the community. Just do a search for UGC and user generated content, and go back a few months before UGC was announced. You will see how many requests there were.

So what you are saying is that fans will waste their time doing something. Then Cryptic will waste their time reviewing it. Then CBS will waste their time. If someone doesn't like it then it won't be used. I would hate to be the programmer that spent hours creating something and then it gets rejected.

Listen, your idea makes sense, but it is just not for this game.
Lt. Commander
# 10 You Get It
10-14-2010, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraitholme View Post
I'm sure a structure could be set up where people could provide content... from artwork to code... and the elements would then be submitted through a process that transfers the rights to Cryptic. It's an intriguing idea, and the company I work for actually have a similar structure in place... we outsource components of our software, essentially 'purchasing' them from smaller dev companies. This would be the same, except that the 'purchase' would be for free.

However, there are downsides to the approach. One needs a correspondingly bigger QA team to check and implement the components, one needs software that's modular enough to support the process through stable APIs, and so on. The UGC is a very interesting first step... perhaps it will continue to expand to allow more user content, with further restrictions.
You get what I am trying to say. I am not saying let the volunteer programmer do what every they want, but what Crytic would like help with like the Chair for one thing little things... Not the big stuff min game and so on....