Lt. Commander
# 11 Impractical
10-14-2010, 08:43 AM
There are several factors that may, if not 'will', prevent Cryptic from ever doing something like this. For starters, there's the rigorous process of submission and authorization of the assets Cryptic wishes to add to STO. Every piece of art has to be considered by CBS, if I recall correctly.

On top of that, since STO is an MMO and as such requires a client-server architecture, any programming module/component that may breach their client-server security protocols could in the long run cost them subscription money if it caused people to leave the game. In essence, the UGC tool-set seems like the best hope for community involvement and helping Cryptic handle making more content.

EDIT :: Also, when bringing in new people into any project, there's a phase of training where the new guys learn the systems they're going to be working with. Even highly motivated volunteers can't be expected to learn the systems of an MMO and become effective before a vast effort is made to make the MMO API's and other assets presentable and deliverable to such volunteers, so in essence taking on volunteers would increase Cryptic's overhead in the short run!
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-14-2010, 08:46 AM
UGC is not made for STO. It is being developed for NVN. And since the CO/STO/NVN share the very same core engine it is not all that hard to make the tools compatible.
So we could cry and whine to all our liking, if there was no NVN in production, there would be no UGC in production either.

This core compatibility has costs, thou. You can't change low level stuff, unless you check CO/NVN compatibility.
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-14-2010, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendra37 View Post
...if there was no NVN in production, there would be no UGC in production either.
I wouldn't say that since the roots for these UGC tools were already evident, to some extent, in Champions Online with its Nemesis system where you get to design super-powered nemeses for your Superhero.
Lt. Commander
# 14 Bigger Things
10-14-2010, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
There are several factors that may, if not 'will', prevent Cryptic from ever doing something like this. For starters, there's the rigorous process of submission and authorization of the assets Cryptic wishes to add to STO. Every piece of art has to be considered by CBS, if I recall correctly.

On top of that, since STO is an MMO and as such requires a client-server architecture, any programming module/component that may breach their client-server security protocols could in the long run cost them subscription money if it caused people to leave the game. In essence, the UGC tool-set seems like the best hope for community involvement and helping Cryptic handle making more content.

EDIT :: Also, when bringing in new people into any project, there's a phase of training where the new guys learn the systems they're going to be working with. Even highly motivated volunteers can't be expected to learn the systems of an MMO and become effective before a vast effort is made to make the MMO API's and other assets presentable and deliverable to such volunteers, so in essence taking on volunteers would increase Cryptic's overhead in the short run!
If you have every played a Valve game you have seen some real cool stuff that fans have made, with that said I get what your saying. On the other hand what I am trying to say is not let the volunteers do what every they want but what Cryptic would like to see done like sitting in the chair and the min game and other little thing so that they could be working on other bigger things....
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-14-2010, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden View Post
If you have every played a Valve game you have seen some real cool stuff that fans have made...
I actually played Vampire The Masquerade :: Bloodlines, and the community developed its own mods as hacks since Troika Games went out of business shortly after the game was released, and Activision wasn't much help for the modding community. So yes, I'm fully aware what volunteers can do.

Quote:
On the other hand what I am trying to say is not let the volunteers do what every they want but what Cryptic would like to see done like sitting in the chair and the min game and other little thing so that they could be working on other bigger things....
Problem is, you can't truly call community members who mod your game exactly per your requirements volunteers, can you now?
Lt. Commander
# 16 Q Where Are You
10-14-2010, 10:09 AM
I love to see what Q thanks about the idea!!!
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Caden I LOVE your Idea and i have a friend that would play STO if he could help make the game a better game. He knows the game needs a lot of work and this would help them free of some Davs to work on other things.

So nice thing Caden.
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-14-2010, 12:21 PM
I just want to see Q again he was on here last friday. So heres 2 time we need one more person to say Q...
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuc View Post
I just want to see Q again he was on here last friday. So heres 2 time we need one more person to say Q...
Q is hard at work so I take the 2nd best thing StormShade StormShade StormShade!!!
Lt. Commander
# 20
10-14-2010, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Q is hard at work so I take the 2nd best thing StormShade StormShade StormShade!!!
Dont give up just yet I help you boys out oooo Q where are you.... :p