Lt. Commander
# 21
10-14-2010, 02:28 PM
Well we are waitting...
Lt. Commander
# 22
10-14-2010, 04:08 PM
Hey gang,

This is not something that actually possible due to the laws California. It's the same reason why I don't have volunteer moderators on the forums, and this actually makes it even more complex.

California law states that you can't have a volunteer do the same thing that you pay someone else to do. As we are a game development company, one of the things we pay people to do is ongoing development for our games. So, we can't have volunteers do this.

Additionally, this would require a whole lot of re-organization on our part, as well as a sizable ongoing expenditure of capitol.

Not only would we need to shift focus to an almost entirely community driven content team, we would also have to substantially beef up our QA team, as others have mentioned. Additionally, as these new programmers would be volunteers, we would not be able to actually require they do any work.
  • No due dates could be enforced. You think saying, "We'll release when ready," is bad? Imagine hearing, "We'll release when you finish working on it and meet our standards."
  • This would introduce massive communication problems as well. You can't force a volunteer to attend a meeting.
  • And the list goes on...

However, if you do wish to work for Cryptic (and get PAID!) feel free to check out our job listings on our Company Home Page.

We're always looking for a few good people, so check back regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendra37 View Post
UGC is not made for STO. It is being developed for NVN. And since the CO/STO/NVN share the very same core engine it is not all that hard to make the tools compatible.
So we could cry and whine to all our liking, if there was no NVN in production, there would be no UGC in production either.

This core compatibility has costs, thou. You can't change low level stuff, unless you check CO/NVN compatibility.
This is not entirely true. We've wanted to introduce UGC to all of our games for some time now. However, when we began work on Neverwinter, we also knew we would need to include UGC as a part of that (It really would be wrong to release a project carrying that name with out a powerful UGC toolset), so this helped us to get the ball rolling as it were.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 23
10-14-2010, 04:10 PM
Ok Stomeshade this might be a dumb question... but how do you get past the User Generated Content? Is that not the Community doing what some of the devs do? ( write stories and make maps. )
Lt. Commander
# 24
10-14-2010, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
Ok Stomeshade this might be a dumb question... but how do you get past the User Generated Content? Is that not the Community doing what some of the devs do? ( write stories and make maps. )
I think the distinction there is that if I make a UGC mission, I'm not doing that because I want to volunteer my time for Cryptic; I'm doing that because I want to play, or I want my friends to play, that mission.

I'm not really volunteering anything, I'm using a tool Cryptic provides to entertain myself or others. The person primarily benefiting from my time is me or my friends, NOT Cryptic.

When you talk about artists or coders volunteering their time for Cryptic, the implication is that Cryptic would own whatever code or assets these volunteers make and would be able to manipulate and re-use them in Cryptic games ad infinitum.

With UGC, Cryptic already owns all the assets and code involved, we just get to play with them. Also, anything we make will be optionally available for other players, but it's not like Cryptic will stop producing its own professional quality content just because they've opened up the possibility of player-created missions.
Lt. Commander
# 25
10-14-2010, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Volunteers are solicited, unpaid employees for all intents and purposes. UGC creation is unsolicited. The tools exist but you are in no way obligated to use them to play the game. Volunteers have an obligation to task and deliverables.
Lt. Commander
# 26
10-14-2010, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade

However, if you do wish to work for Cryptic (and get PAID!) feel free to check out our job listings on our Company Home Page.
About the cryptic job....
Do you have to work hard and do you have any important deadlines?
Do you have anyone counting on you ?
Lt. Commander
# 27
10-14-2010, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post
About the cryptic job....
Do you have to work hard and do you have any important deadlines?
Do you have anyone counting on you ?
If you screw up it's likely someone on these forums will complain about it (like wise for CO/NVW)
Lt. Commander
# 28
10-14-2010, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tendel View Post
Volunteers are solicited, unpaid employees for all intents and purposes. UGC creation is unsolicited. The tools exist but you are in no way obligated to use them to play the game. Volunteers have an obligation to task and deliverables.
This.

What we're doing with the Foundry is making available some of the same tools that our designers use, so that players may entertain themselves by authoring exciting missions and episodes for others to enjoy.

We're not actually asking or requiring you, or anyone else to make use of The Foundry. Rather instead, we're making it available for players to use should they be so inclined.

Remember that The Foundry, while incredibly powerful, is still a limited version of the tools that our designers use. You will not be able to do everything one of our in-house designers can do with these tools.

What you will be able to do, is to author missions and episodes of your own design using the tools we make available to you. Later on, as the tool grows, more options will undoubtedly open up. For now however, it's allowing you to author your own missions and episodes.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 29
10-14-2010, 04:48 PM
Excellent, So I can make a mission where you aid Cpt Stormshade cure the planet Forumia of Trolls.
Lt. Commander
# 30
10-14-2010, 04:48 PM
Aww. I was wondering about this myself, though had a pretty good feeling it wouldn't work. I so wanted to develop ship models. Since.. well, my work 10 years ago is better than about 90% of the fan work I've seen out there right now. :p

But, tools have changed. I have to relearn everything now. That, and I think I'm going to rely more on my engineering background for the job I'm looking for. I doubt Cryptic will hire me to do art on the promise that I'll learn quick.

Hm. Seems Cryptic has some needs I might fit into. I put your name down as referring me Stormshade. Hope they have some referral bonus program!