Lt. Commander
# 21
10-15-2010, 10:28 AM
Haz, no killing the newbies and using their bodies to decorate the battlements.
Lt. Commander
# 22
10-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
You're new here, aren't you?
Back on-topic. There's an interesting segment on the Memory Alpha site where it says:

Scientifically, use of the prefix "di-" denotes two atoms, suggesting dilithium consists of two atoms of lithium. However, lithium, being a metal, should not be able to exist in this state, as metals cannot form diatomic molecules. "Real" dilithium (two lithium atoms in a covalent bond) is only currently known to exist as a gas.

Originally, lithium was said to be used to control the warp reaction, but it was quickly realized that since lithium was a real element, with known properties, it would not be able to do some of the things the writers wanted it to do
Lt. Commander
# 23
10-15-2010, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach2Infinity View Post
Back on-topic. There's an interesting segment on the Memory Alpha site where it says:

Scientifically, use of the prefix "di-" denotes two atoms, suggesting dilithium consists of two atoms of lithium. However, lithium, being a metal, should not be able to exist in this state, as metals cannot form diatomic molecules. "Real" dilithium (two lithium atoms in a covalent bond) is only currently known to exist as a gas.

Originally, lithium was said to be used to control the warp reaction, but it was quickly realized that since lithium was a real element, with known properties, it would not be able to do some of the things the writers wanted it to do
Except that no matter can do with they want it to, any matter coming in to contact with anti matter will annihilate.

pointless conversation is pointless, it's made up science that is ruled only by writers.
Lt. Commander
# 24
10-15-2010, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
Haz, no killing the newbies and using their bodies to decorate the battlements.
Awwww!

You're no fun!
Lt. Commander
# 25
10-15-2010, 11:22 AM
Quote:
No thanks.

So, who else is excited for the fall season of Burn Notice? Nov 11. Hell yeah.
I never really got into Burn Notice. However, I'm quite pleased with how the new series of Glee is shaping up. The characters are really growing and evolving. It's nice to see Artie outside of his whole "I'm in a wheelchair" thing, and Brittney's actually a really nice character, instead of the stereotypical dumb blonde.

I haven't caught up with Fringe yet, but, on the whole, I really like the fall line-up. The one thing I'm slightly let down by is Chuck. It feels like they've run out of things to write about concerning the titular hero, and although I'm enjoying the Morgan/Big Mike and Morgan/Casey dynamics, I'm dreading the day Jeffster makes another appearance.
Lt. Commander
# 26
10-15-2010, 11:24 AM
I ******n love Burn Notice. I haven't tried watching Glee, but I have people telling me it's good. It's a show about a glee club, how good can it possibly be?
Lt. Commander
# 27
10-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Quote:
I ******n love Burn Notice. I haven't tried watching Glee, but I have people telling me it's good. It's a show about a glee club, how good can it possibly be?
This is how I've been describing it to people:

Imagine High School Musical.

Now imagine High School Musical with balls.

The first season introduced teen pregnancy, fake pregnancy, drug abuse (in the most hilarious way) OCD behaviour, constant jibes to varioud ethnicities and cultures, homosexuality, implied homosexuality, really really DUMB people, and some pretty jumping tunes. Also, Jane Lynch is in it. Now, I usually can't stand Jane Lynch. I hated her in Role Models, loathed her in Party Down, and I even REALLY disliked her in her bit part as an unnamed reporter in The West Wing. Yes, I spotted her, and yes, I hated the part. She's always portrayed characters that are Holier Than Thou, and look down on everyone for no discernible reason. Whether because of that, or just by happy co-incidence, the creators of the show made her character, cheerleading coach Sue Sylvester just like that, but more so. She's snarky, evil, completely egomaniacal, and comes out with bizarre threats and one liners. She's sort of like a more masculine SpaceFork.

Quote:
If it is one minute late, I will go to the animal shelter and get you a kitty cat. I will let you fall in love with that kitty cat. and then on some dark, cold night i will steal away into your home and punch you in the face
How can you NOT love a nonsequiteurial threat like that?

There are also some good lines that actually try to teach people about life in general, too, although they're neatly batted away by other characters.

Quote:
Will: These are the moments that matter finn. These are the times you look back on when you get old and think...what if?
Finn: I don't buy that..I don't think one decision affects your whole life, unless you invent some zombie virus or something.
It's well written, superbly acted and directed, the song choices are inspired, and in the most recent episode, there's some crazy lesbian loving between two cheerleaders!

WATCH GLEE!
Lt. Commander
# 28
10-15-2010, 11:58 AM
Fair enough.
Lt. Commander
# 29
10-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
Except that no matter can do with they want it to, any matter coming in to contact with anti matter will annihilate.

pointless conversation is pointless, it's made up science that is ruled only by writers.
Judging by the wiki entry it seems they tried to skirt around it by stating that it has an "ability to be rendered porous to light-element antimatter when exposed to high temperatures and electro-magnetic pressures". At this point in time we only know enough about anti-matter to know it is annihilated when it comes into contact with matter. I know it's pseudo science when it comes to mentioning the part about about electro-magnetic pressures and high heat but it's fun to speculate and not pointless.
Lt. Commander
# 30
10-15-2010, 12:27 PM
No, it's pretty pointless.