Lt. Commander
# 31
10-15-2010, 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipermist
Such a rating / feedback system is a terrible idea that is open to abuse.
We have a system now that works if you dont like what someone has said right click their name a select ignore player.
The ignore option is enough for me, generally if someone has to stroke their own ego and show off because they won a PvP match when their team had more players, I just have to laugh at how pitiful that is and what it says about that person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantheras View Post
I m not sure what exhibits a more anti social, anti team ,anti-game and fellow player degradation and insult:The occasional ego trash talk in the chatbox/zone or those otherwise SILENT players that queue for pvp and stay idle at respawn all through the match.When being asked why they dont participate ..the typical reply is " I m only here for the Emblems"...To me such an attitude is much more of hard insult than any "owned noob" on the zone.
Is THAT what is going on here? Do players still get emblems if they warp out of the match while it is in progress?

It would explain why so many feds never actually do anything after joining PvP matches, and why most games I play always result in uneven player counts on the teams. I wasn't kidding in my thread, 2/3rds of my games have one of the teams down 1-3 players. It's rare to get a evenly matched game even at RA level.
Lt. Commander
# 32
10-15-2010, 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mourkoth View Post
If there has ever been an ideal way to learn of the problems with your very own solutions, it usually involves looking back to history and what examples they have provided. I can think of one such solution that closely resembles your own, something that turned out to be a catastrophic failure. If anyone has caught on, I speak of the Maginot Line built by france prior to World War two. It was a powerful defense, to which the Germans could not easily go through it. Their solution? They went around it.

The same can happen here. If the insults they share with you cease to be effective by their power alone, then you could very well suffer for electing to simply ignore them. By doing such, not only are you no longer able to hear them, but additionally you can no longer hear the slanderous comments they seek to spread in your elected ignorance. In a short time much can go wrong....to which you may never know why, simply because you elected to ignore the problem.
I can agree that it does not pay to ignore problems in RL

But this is a game. You are paying for entertainment. Being called a cheater or a coward is not entertaining to me. I ignore them because I am taking control of my entertainment environment. And the folks that count to me in game are fleeties and other friends so no sweat for me...
Lt. Commander
# 33
10-15-2010, 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mourkoth View Post
If there has ever been an ideal way to learn of the problems with your very own solutions, it usually involves looking back to history and what examples they have provided. I can think of one such solution that closely resembles your own, something that turned out to be a catastrophic failure. If anyone has caught on, I speak of the Maginot Line built by france prior to World War two. It was a powerful defense, to which the Germans could not easily go through it. Their solution? They went around it.

The same can happen here. If the insults they share with you cease to be effective by their power alone, then you could very well suffer for electing to simply ignore them. By doing such, not only are you no longer able to hear them, but additionally you can no longer hear the slanderous comments they seek to spread in your elected ignorance. In a short time much can go wrong....to which you may never know why, simply because you elected to ignore the problem.
I don't even know where to start with this post. You seem to be lacking in your history knowledge. I suspect from your post you are one of those people who looks at what is in plain sight, and makes judgments based on that, rather than looking a bit deeper to actual understand what it is you are looking at, and why it is happening.

I could go on, but that would be off topic.

As has been replied to you by another player here, this is a game. Not reality.
As many have stated, this is the internet, and people have anonymity from one another.
End result is that your Ignore list is all you need to leave the people out of your life that you don't care for.

I'm sure I'm on lots of peoples, just as my list is 80+ and growing.
Lt. Commander
# 34
10-15-2010, 10:57 PM
Quote:
Players' Horrible Attitude
As Captain Pike said in a episode of TOS fanfiction called "The Deafening Duldrums:"

"Kill them with kindness. If that doesn't work, kill them with torpedoes."
Lt. Commander
# 35
10-16-2010, 06:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISS Voyager
Greetings

Id like to bring up a sensitive subject that I believe is necessary to improving STO, and that's the bad attitude many players exhibit in PvP.
Firstly, let me say this: I am not bringing this up to complain about game balance, bridge powers, load-out, nerfing, or any game mechanic; this has nothing to do with winning or losing. Both Fed and Kling players are guilty of totally horrible gloating and mean-spirited chats when they win.

It doesn't matter how a game goes; 1 player defeating 5 others over and over again does not give them justification to spew terrible insults and degradations through the chat zone. Additionally, a player who loses does not have the right to chat mean things back at the other team. Such things aren't responsible, they aren't positive, and they turn a game into a bullying-field. I was shocked to hear (read) some of the things that players have typed as they "gloated." I was embarrassed to be playing the same game as them. If a player gets blown up in 10 seconds, he/she doesn't need to be told that he isn't as good as the others. Degradation only drives such new/casual players away. Imaginary space ships blowing up is not the same as a human being telling you that you are stupid/suck/ineffective/etc.

I think the game, the community, and every other PvP faucet of STO will improve massively if players simply stop being bullies.

I'm sure somebody here - perhaps even all of you = are about to reply saying that I'm a nut / softie for having the idea that STO PvP can be a "friendly" experience. If I am really in the minority about basic common dignity, then I'm already out of words.

To be honest, insults are very rare a vanilla in this game. If you ever played other MMOs you we find this out (SWG, Conan and etc).
I am actually shocked how easily people get there e-feelings hurt in STO. I guess thats because I come from SWG where insults went way beyond "you suck you *&^&^*&@$$".
Just place people on ignore or better yet laugh about it and move on.
Lt. Commander
# 36
10-16-2010, 09:10 AM
Hello,

My experience has been the opposite of the Thread Originator's. I have been surprised at how little trash talk there is. When it occurs, I have been surprised at how mild it is. Most games end with a simple gg. Sometimes, genuine complements are offered to the opposition. Things such as, "You have a great tank" or "Well done Feds" or "Tough Fight."

Very occasionally, Klingons will be insulted for cloaking, and Feds will be insulted for clustering. I consider this to be psychological warfare used in the hopes of encouraging the opposition to abandon their strength. I don't do it, and I don't know anyone who falls for it and makes a berserk charge.

All in all, my experience has been a positive one.
Lt. Commander
# 37
10-16-2010, 02:27 PM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~InfoNinja
Lt. Commander
# 38
10-17-2010, 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janko
I don't even know where to start with this post. You seem to be lacking in your history knowledge. I suspect from your post you are one of those people who looks at what is in plain sight, and makes judgments based on that, rather than looking a bit deeper to actual understand what it is you are looking at, and why it is happening.
During the beginning motions of World War two, France did not take any measures to ignore the presence of Germany, in fact...the defensive establishment I had elected to present was built for the sole purpose of counteracting any military movements made by Germany after World War One had concluded. Unfortunately, all that time and effort spent in creating such a powerful defensive line, was defeated when the Germans opted to go around the defensive line, their intentions declared in Poland.

France fell to the Germans, as did this defensive line. Why?....because their investments were not expanded upon to meet the growing threats and demands of modernized strategies employed to counter their own. It did take time, and much efforts did come with great sacrifice.....however in time, the lines did fall and the Germans conquered France.
The same can be applied here. While on different terms, the same risk remains the same and has actually been proven in this very same topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepez
Its very rare i do this but. yesterday i had a guy sending tells and in zone chat about how i was a cheater.
The issue is that in employing what seems like a simple solution, consisting of no more than pressing a single button....you isolate yourself from understanding a problem that could be blown entirely out of proportion by your decision to ignore it. In this you can no longer monitor the issue and by extension, it can either wind down to no longer existing or continue to escalate into slander-inspired misjudgment. It would not matter to you if you were insulted by the occasional passerby, however I would think that even you would find yourself distressed to discover that entire teams allied in nature, depart from the PVP battlegrounds when you are to arrive. Why? Because you simply did not know of the rumors of your acts of 'cheating' being spread...nor would you know when they started scattering across the PVP channels.

The argument was simply to provide the understanding in that while some may find comfort in hitting the ignore button, there are others out there who understand the flaws of such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janko
I suspect from your post you are one of those people who looks at what is in plain sight, rather than looking a bit deeper to actual understand what it is you are looking at, and why it is happening.
To quite the contrary, my explanation is based around a three-dimensional perspective on what is, was and can be, all results and causes to the reality of attempting to ignore an issue that can evolve in any manner. You however seem more content with making assumptions of others. Do note however that I am not fully convinced that even my own proposition is completely guaranteed to happen. In most cases those that disagree with you after being ignored, take to finding new prey that might not know how to ignore them....or chooses not to. In any case, while the risk of being attacked in silence exists, it is not likely.

Just opt not to completely rely on the ignore button for all of your problems and you should fair well.
Lt. Commander
# 39
10-18-2010, 03:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
I'm still confused by the "Its open pvp, so everybody take a number and attack me in sequence" belief structure. Does not open mean "anything goes" as long as it brings victory and doesn't exploit game bug?
Just because something is allowed doesn't mean you have to do it. But since it's allowed, I wouldn't expect it to stop or not happening. I can still think of a group of players doing this as a..ho..s.
Lt. Commander
# 40
10-18-2010, 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Just because something is allowed doesn't mean you have to do it. But since it's allowed, I wouldn't expect it to stop or not happening. I can still think of a group of players doing this as a..ho..s.
It may not be the nice thing to do or the courteous thing, but if one walks into a moshpit it shouldn't be a surprise if one gets hit and jostled about about a bit. My surprise is at the belief that "open-pvp" isn't suppossed to mean "open" pvp by definittion. I avoid Kerrat just because it is the only open-pvp zone and in STO that means full of ganking, but if I decide to go in - it will not be with a false sense of the definition of "open" and I will expect to be attacked.
Of course I may be used to it from playing Eve so long ago where its not uncommon to be in a zone doing stuff and have pirates or an oppossing corp come along and ruin the day.
Taunting is what I do not like.