Lt. Commander
I tried to listen both the interviews posted on your page only to be quite put off by the background music. Not only it was annoyingly loud throughout both interviews (and got even louder at points)., but the choice of tracks also did not serve as an appropriate background theme (in most cases).

Please do not use background music of any kind when you conduct interviews since it is very distracting.

Thank you.

*Edit: wanted to add that (before this is taken the wrong way) that its a pity we cannot fully enjoy the efforts put into such an interview.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-15-2010, 02:34 AM
agreed...or at least tone it down/use slower music. very hard to hear.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-15-2010, 03:59 AM
They needed to tone down the music - however, the music was being used to cover up production problems (fans, faint ambient noise) as well as increase the pace (the dstahl interview had lots of pauses from the host).
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-15-2010, 04:54 AM
Quote:
They needed to tone down the music - however, the music was being used to cover up production problems (fans, faint ambient noise) as well as increase the pace (the dstahl interview had lots of pauses from the host).
I think we were all aware of the reasons. It still does not change the outcome though does it? I am sure Darren that they can speak for themselves and explain this anyways.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-15-2010, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tychus_Findley
I think we were all aware of the reasons. It still does not change the outcome though does it? I am sure Darren that they can speak for themselves and explain this anyways.
They do need to tone down the music.

However, I only meant to highlight the fact that the music cuts out briefly in the second interview and you can hear a fairly strong fan (probably due to an overly hot mic).
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-15-2010, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
They do need to tone down the music.

However, I only meant to highlight the fact that the music cuts out briefly in the second interview and you can hear a fairly strong fan (probably due to an overly hot mic).
Pretty much Darren hit's the nail on the head :p We do try to keep the music low or pick music we know won't be too loud that it annoys our listeners, but it can be difficult at times to make that happen. We appreciate the comments Tychus, and even without the edit I wouldn't of taken it in a bad light. Just you expressing your issues with our interviews (which isn't bad at all!).

We will continue to work on making our interviews easier for listeners, those listening to the live broadcast or the podcast versions we put up, to listen too - including doing what you suggested or using very low music in the background.

If you have any other comments (and that goes for everyone) let us know! Post on our website, send us an in game message (you can msg me if ya want), email me directly (askray@subspace-radio.net) and we'll look into it!

Thank you for listening and your comments! We hope that you will continue to listen to our broadcasts, either the actual stream or our interviews when posted!
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-15-2010, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askray View Post
Pretty much Darren hit's the nail on the head :p We do try to keep the music low or pick music we know won't be too loud that it annoys our listeners, but it can be difficult at times to make that happen. We appreciate the comments Tychus, and even without the edit I wouldn't of taken it in a bad light. Just you expressing your issues with our interviews (which isn't bad at all!).

We will continue to work on making our interviews easier for listeners, those listening to the live broadcast or the podcast versions we put up, including doing what you suggested or using very low music in the background.

If you have any other comments (and that goes for everyone) let us know! Post on our website, send us an in game message (you can msg me if ya want), email me directly (askray@subspace-radio.net) and we'll look into it!

Thank you for listening and your comments! We hope that you will continue to listen to our broadcasts, either the actual stream or our interviews when posted!
Great interview though with Mapolis!

Seriously, I have no idea how you managed to get a 95 minutes interview-a-thon. Most game developers don't even have interviews lasting more than an hour leading into a game's release - let alone afterwards.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-15-2010, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Great interview though with Mapolis!

Seriously, I have no idea how you managed to get a 95 minutes interview-a-thon. Most game developers don't even have interviews lasting more than an hour leading into a game's release - let alone afterwards.
We bribe them with cookies but shh that's our little secret
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-15-2010, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askray View Post

We will continue to work on making our interviews easier for listeners, those listening to the live broadcast or the podcast versions we put up, to listen too - including doing what you suggested or using very low music in the background.

your interview with Mapolis is one of my favorite dev interviews ever. And I don't mind some nice background music! Keep up the good work and experimenting on that background music!
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-15-2010, 04:26 PM
The Mapopolis interview was fantastic, the sheer volume of information, and the way you had him run you through the creation of a mission pretty much answered all the lingering questions I had.
Mapopolis should be thanked as well for hanging out and doing such a solid patient job of explaining things.

The Dsthal Interview was pretty much the same as most of his latest, I liked hearing that territory control was on the table, it seems that he really gets that between UCG and PVP territory the endgame is going to be very player controlled, something that is hard to pull off but when done right creates a lot of free time for devs to add in and tweak the game.

Music wise it was for sure way too loud and distracting, I wouldn't remove it entirely.