Lt. Commander
# 11
10-15-2010, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
A slight jaw drop when you realize how big V'Ger was.
Well, it was always intended to be a massive ship, especially considering how puny the 300m+ refitted Enterprise looked flying over it. Besides, anything that can create an energy cloud that's 2 AU (approx. 186 million miles) across has to be huge - otherwise, it just looks silly.
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-15-2010, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archanubis
Well, it was always intended to be a massive ship, especially considering how puny the 300m+ refitted Enterprise looked flying over it. Besides, anything that can create an energy cloud that's 2 AU (approx. 186 million miles) across has to be huge - otherwise, it just looks silly.
Yo momma makes a cloud that's 4 AU across every time she farts!

Did I do right? :p
*hides under a rock*
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-15-2010, 11:17 AM
Quote:
I repeat my earlier statement - there are not many ships in Star Trek, aside from the Borg and a few Delta Quadrant vessels, that are outlandishly huge. The Star Wars ships, however, especially those used by the Imperials, make me wonder how they managed to find enough people to crew those things, even with cloning and/or draft drives.
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-15-2010, 11:22 AM
I've never heard of a Poseidon class carrier in Babylon 5. This site is brilliant!
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-15-2010, 01:44 PM
Quote:
I repeat my earlier statement - there are not many ships in Star Trek, aside from the Borg and a few Delta Quadrant vessels, that are outlandishly huge. The Star Wars ships, however, especially those used by the Imperials, make me wonder how they managed to find enough people to crew those things, even with cloning and/or draft drives.
Well, it was supposed to be a galaxy-wide empire, with presumably tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of worlds to draw crew from. Not too hard to fill up the numbers when the human race numbers in the hundreds of trillions.
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-15-2010, 01:51 PM
Quote:
you got to remember that star wars they have been space faring for tens of thousands of years not hundreds like star trek and they can cross the galaxy in hours rather than centuries.
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-15-2010, 02:19 PM
On the other hand, their technology's also "lower." Outside of hyperspace, most of the ships in the Star Wars universe aren't even that unrealistic. A Star Destroyer is big, but it still takes a fleet of them a sustained barrage to, say, level an entire planet.

Star Trek ships use more exotic power sources and pound for pound next to anything in the Star Wars universe are vastly more powerful. The TOS Enterprise was described as being able to level a planet on it's own, and left to their own devices the fleet that attacked the Changeling homeworld could have vaporized the entire thing in short order. When ships are so powerful as it is, there's a lot less reason to build something as big as some of the ships in Star Wars.
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-15-2010, 02:37 PM
I like the one Chat recommended, it has Robotech ships too. LOL
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-15-2010, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Nice find.

even has Rama from Arthur C. Clarke's Rama series...(which I am re-reading now..on the Garden of Rama...the final book)
Lt. Commander
# 20
10-15-2010, 04:07 PM
Size isn't everything, its quite all right that Star Wars has massive ships compared to the Fed's. If one fighter gone kamikaze can take out the biggest baddest thing the Empire can throw at them i think earth is going to be alright.