Lt. Commander
# 21
10-15-2010, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sural_Argonus
Nice find.

even has Rama from Arthur C. Clarke's Rama series...(which I am re-reading now..on the Garden of Rama...the final book)
They neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed to make a Rama movie!
Lt. Commander
# 22
10-15-2010, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
They neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed to make a Rama movie!
There was talk of one a few years ago...but then ACC died....I think all support for it died with him. Supposedly Morgan Freeman was part of it.

According to the Rama Wiki....

Quote:
Film, TV or theatrical adaptations

In the early 2000s, actor Morgan Freeman expressed his desire to produce a film based on Rendezvous with Rama. After a drawn-out development process which Freeman attributed to difficulties in procuring funding it appeared in 2003 this would indeed be happening.[4] IMDb at one point upgraded the status of the project to "announced" with an estimated release date in 2009. The film was to be produced by Freeman's production company, Revelations Entertainment. David Fincher, touted on Revelations' Rama web page as far back as 2001,[5] stated in a late 2007 interview (where he also credited the novel as an influence on the films Alien and Star Trek: The Motion Picture) that he is still attached to helm.[6] Revelations and IMDb indicated that Stel Pavlou had written the adaptation.

In late 2008, David Fincher stated the movie is unlikely to be made. "It looks like it's not going to happen. There's no script and as you know, Morgan Freeman's not in the best of health right now. We've been trying to do it but it's probably not going to happen."[7] The IMDb page for the project has been removed.

In 2001, Aaron Ross, a student at the Tisch School Of Arts at NYU, created a short film based on Rendezvous With Rama."[8]

There's this tho...was an NYU project.
Lt. Commander
# 23
10-15-2010, 11:38 PM
I liked in the Culture books (think Federation but set to 11), a decommissioned warship is moaning (all ships are sentient A.I. and considered Culture citizins) about losing it's military grade weapons. Someone points out it still has enough fire-power to destroy a planet, to which it pouts "yes well any ship can do that".