Lt. Commander
Never done respec before. I downloaded Star Trek Character Builder 2.3.0 and there is no install file. How do I make it work??

I learned some things about respec online and have a question. As you are changing around skills, how come the accept button does not light up? How many things must I change before I accept? I'm confused!

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm a Vice Admiral in STO.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-15-2010, 01:56 PM
I can't help you with the character builder. Sorry, never used it. As far as the Accept button, it won't light up until you've spent as many points as you had when you started the respec. You only click the accept button at the very end of the whole process.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-15-2010, 02:07 PM
How many points do I have? How can I tell? I don't think I understand properly, sorry.

Can ANYONE tell me how to use the Star Trek Character Builder 2.3.0
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-15-2010, 02:19 PM
At the bottom of the respec screen it tells you how many points you have and how many you have spent. Once you have spent all your points you can accept it.

Just a word of suggestion, if you aren't a Vice Admiral, or at least a Rear Admiral Lower Half, there is no point in respecing, you are just wasting a free respec token.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-15-2010, 03:16 PM
The character builder is just a tool to see how you can allocate your skill points. It doesn't actually do anything to your character in game. Also, it is out of date. I don't think it includes skills in the retro fit ships. I've used it a few times after season 1 update, but not any time recently. It should just load up in your browser (you need the most updated version of Java for it to work). I never downloaded it.

The best way that I have found to respec is to clear all the skills completely, and start adding in point starting with tier 1. Once all you points are allocated, you can hit "accept".
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-15-2010, 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurkling
Never done respec before. I downloaded Star Trek Character Builder 2.3.0 and there is no install file. How do I make it work??

I learned some things about respec online and have a question. As you are changing around skills, how come the accept button does not light up? How many things must I change before I accept? I'm confused!

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm a Vice Admiral in STO.
The proviso's about respec are similar to how you level up. You much spend X (where X varies per rank) amount of skills points on Captain Skills of that ranks. For example, you have to expend at leart 6700 skill points on your Lieutenant rank skills. If you do have enough skills points spent for a rank, the Respec window will Red Out and highlight that rank skills of skills. In order words, you don't skimp on lower ranked skills to spend them on higher rank skills.

And you only have to spend a total amount of points to brink your to the lowest possible grade of your current rank. For example, if your are Rear Admiral/Lower Half 5. You onlly have to expend enough skills points in total to reach Rear Admiral/Lower Half 1. You can bank the remaining skills points to be spend later.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-16-2010, 04:07 AM
Thanks, fuzun, I didn't know you could bank points like that.

One thing I fear is screwing up what I already have. I thought of some ways to protect against that and want to see if anyone thinks they are a good idea or even possible.

1. Make screen shots of my current skill point set up so I can always respec again back to what it was
2. Since I can create another Federation charcter in STO, can I clone my current character or do I have to start from scratch again?
3. Use a 3rd party program to do everything offline first. I can not get Star Trek Character Builder 2.3.0 to work. It does not open in my browser, has no install file, etc. Are there any other 3rd party prgrams out there that really work?
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-16-2010, 05:24 AM
Quote:
Thanks, fuzun, I didn't know you could bank points like that.

One thing I fear is screwing up what I already have. I thought of some ways to protect against that and want to see if anyone thinks they are a good idea or even possible.

1. Make screen shots of my current skill point set up so I can always respec again back to what it was
2. Since I can create another Federation charcter in STO, can I clone my current character or do I have to start from scratch again?
3. Use a 3rd party program to do everything offline first. I can not get Star Trek Character Builder 2.3.0 to work. It does not open in my browser, has no install file, etc. Are there any other 3rd party prgrams out there that really work?
1) That works, however don't worry about respcing until you are at least a Rear Admiral. There really is no point to do it before that.

2) The only way to clone it is by copying it to the test server called Tribble. However it is only a test server to test new content, which means there aren't a lot of people playing on there. It is a good place to test new skill set ups though.

3) I am actually working on one right now, it will be the most up to date one. Check the link in my signature below between Tuesday and Wednesday, that is when I should be releasing it on the site. I can also send you a message if you want.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-16-2010, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the info, Attilio.
I'm a Vice Admiral.

How do I get to the Tribble server and how do I clone my character to the Tribble?
I bookmarked your site and am looking forward to your character builder program. One problem though, your link to the blog is a dead link and just brings you to the 000webhost.com main page.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-16-2010, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Thanks for the info, Attilio.
I'm a Vice Admiral.

How do I get to the Tribble server and how do I clone my character to the Tribble?
I bookmarked your site and am looking forward to your character builder program. One problem though, your link to the blog is a dead link and just brings you to the 000webhost.com main page.
This will help you with the test server http://www.startrekonline.com/test-s...acter-transfer

Thanks, I fixed the link. I was wondering why people weren't visiting it lol