Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 31
10-16-2010, 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondaddyd View Post
The original patch done on Thurday would have meant the "patch to fix the patch" would have happened on Friday, giving the players an uninterrupted weekend to enjoy the game.

That would demonstrate good customer consideration/service.



Europe seems to be overlooked in a big way in all things in this game. This downtime starts smack-bang in the middle of lunch time, London, England. Morning or 2 - 3pm in other parts of Europe. All of which is prime time playing time for us Europeans. If the patch happened two - three hours earlier, so 12 -1am PST and therefore 8 - 9am GMT would it really have hurt? It would certainly accomodated more players IMO.

Also would be nice to annouce the downtimes in GMT given that GMT is generally considered +/-0 in World time.
UTC is GMT. Many (and I do mean MANY) people couldn't understand that BST is not GMT, so thus the term UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) was switched to prevent this confusion. (I would assume anyways. I can't really recall if they ever mentioned this but that would be my best guess).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonwindspirit
That is all fine and dandy except most of the messages in the game launcher are garbage. You quickly learn to stop reading them.

Furthermore that does NOT help those who were in game before they put it in the launcher.
The launcher was updated with the notice HOURS before it happened. Unless you're telling me you were in game for over 9ish hours :p If you can't stop to read when it says SERVER MAINTENANCE SCHEDULED (in big gold letters mind you), then dunno what to tells yah :p. Not to mention right above where you log in at the patcher it says it in white letters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by picardalpha2clearance View Post
The new warp FX need top be rolled back also!!!!!! It looks choppy and sounds like a trans warp failure!!!!!

The old ones were much better!!!
No gaming company "rolls back" a patch. It's actually a LOT more complicated than you think to do it, not to mention that doesn't "fix" anything that just causes more problems. What happens to the database? Want that rolled back as well?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 32
10-17-2010, 03:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askray View Post
UTC is GMT. Many (and I do mean MANY) people couldn't understand that BST is not GMT, so thus the term UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) was switched to prevent this confusion. (I would assume anyways. I can't really recall if they ever mentioned this but that would be my best guess).
This is actually the first game I encountered UTC.
Not like I ever heard about it before either. :p
Luckily I quickly understood that Cryptic games is not something you do during lunch time. Housewife... Boredom rises during lunch.
So these days even when there isn't any scheduled maintenance I do something else during lunch... Habits... Who knew? Like a daily raid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askray View Post
No gaming company "rolls back" a patch. It's actually a LOT more complicated than you think to do it, not to mention that doesn't "fix" anything that just causes more problems. What happens to the database? Want that rolled back as well?
Kitchen sink.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 33
10-17-2010, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
This is actually the first game I encountered UTC.
Not like I ever heard about it before either. :p
Luckily I quickly understood that Cryptic games is not something you do during lunch time. Housewife... Boredom rises during lunch.
So these days even when there isn't any scheduled maintenance I do something else during lunch... Habits... Who knew? Like a daily raid.
HEH I had one place I worked at using UTC a year ago so I had to learn what that meant, but yeah first game i've encountered using it too :p

Quote:
Kitchen sink.
HAH!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 34
10-17-2010, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askray View Post
The launcher was updated with the notice HOURS before it happened. Unless you're telling me you were in game for over 9ish hours :p If you can't stop to read when it says SERVER MAINTENANCE SCHEDULED (in big gold letters mind you), then dunno what to tells yah :p. Not to mention right above where you log in at the patcher it says it in white letters.
try 6ish hours (and yes I was in game for that long) and that isn't the point. The point (which, once again, you obviously completely missed) is that an in game warning of the servers going offline is standard practice in the MMO industry. Read that again.

IT IS STANDARD PRACTICE IN THE MMO INDUSTRY

let me repeat that for you, because you seem to be a bit slow...

IT IS STANDARD PRACTICE IN THE MMO INDUSTRY

One more time just to make sure you 'get it' now....

IT IS STANDARD PRACTICE IN THE MMO INDUSTRY

Now, if you can't understand THAT, then you need to go back to school.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 35
10-17-2010, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonwindspirit
try 6ish hours (and yes I was in game for that long) and that isn't the point. The point (which, once again, you obviously completely missed) is that an in game warning of the servers going offline is standard practice in the MMO industry. Read that again.

IT IS STANDARD PRACTICE IN THE MMO INDUSTRY

let me repeat that for you, because you seem to be a bit slow...

IT IS STANDARD PRACTICE IN THE MMO INDUSTRY

One more time just to make sure you 'get it' now....

IT IS STANDARD PRACTICE IN THE MMO INDUSTRY

Now, if you can't understand THAT, then you need to go back to school.
For starters - Stormshade made the scheduled maintenance post at EXACTLY " 10-15-2010, 05:52 PM" PDT

Servers went down around 3:40 AM PDT

Round up to 6PM PDT (just to be nice) That's 9 hours from 6pm to 3am. So while trying to be such a nice person to me at least learn to count.

However as to your attempt at being even more civil towards me, I know what standard practice is or isn't in the MMO industry. Been in it for quite sometime and have even worked in it. I was NOT in any way, shape or form commenting on that remark you made if you look at what I posted. I clearly took the part I WAS commenting on and quoted it. But, since apparently you want me to for whatever reason, I don't disagree with the thought of actually announcing the down time before it happens which they have in most instances when it's happened and I've been on. (Recently however it has lapsed).

Now since I commented on what YOU wanted me to comment on ya happier?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 36
10-17-2010, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askray View Post
For starters - Stormshade made the scheduled maintenance post at EXACTLY " 10-15-2010, 05:52 PM" PDT

Servers went down around 3:40 AM PDT

Round up to 6PM PDT (just to be nice) That's 9 hours from 6pm to 3am. So while trying to be such a nice person to me at least learn to count.

However as to your attempt at being even more civil towards me, I know what standard practice is or isn't in the MMO industry. Been in it for quite sometime and have even worked in it. I was NOT in any way, shape or form commenting on that remark you made if you look at what I posted. I clearly took the part I WAS commenting on and quoted it. But, since apparently you want me to for whatever reason, I don't disagree with the thought of actually announcing the down time before it happens which they have in most instances when it's happened and I've been on. (Recently however it has lapsed).

Now since I commented on what YOU wanted me to comment on ya happier?

Stormshade may have posted on the forums at that time (and it may even have been in the launcher then as well). But it wasn't in the LAUNCHER when I logged in. So.. that being said. I didn't see it; mainly because I have been known to play an MMO for 15 hours straight with few if any breaks on weekends, though I think I was only online for about 6-8 hours when the servers dropped.. I'm not real sure exactly when I logged in but the launcher didn't have any notices in it when I did.

As for you and I agreeing on in-game server shut down countdowns.. That's good. I am glad we can agree on something, and I apologize for being snippy with you. I've been having major trouble sleeping for the last 3 weeks and I'm just a little grumpy and short with pretty much everything right now. I try not to be but sometimes it still slips through.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 37
10-17-2010, 04:46 PM
Perfect example of people will find ANYTHING to complain about
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 38
10-18-2010, 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClingingMars View Post
Perfect example of people will find ANYTHING to complain about
As I have said it is a standard practice in the MMO industry to give server shut down warnings. it is NOT standard Practice to just pull the plug w/o an in game warning short of a server emergency.

I was pretty sure I made that perfectly clear but I guess you missed it in your zeal to post something that said nothing and had no other intent than to be annoying.

I don't consider a shut down w/o an in-game warning to be 'anything', I consider it **** poor management and total disrespect to the players. If you consider that 'nothing' then I honestly pity you.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 39
10-18-2010, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonwindspirit
As I have said it is a standard practice in the MMO industry to give server shut down warnings. it is NOT standard Practice to just pull the plug w/o an in game warning short of a server emergency.

I was pretty sure I made that perfectly clear but I guess you missed it in your zeal to post something that said nothing and had no other intent than to be annoying.

I don't consider a shut down w/o an in-game warning to be 'anything', I consider it **** poor management and total disrespect to the players. If you consider that 'nothing' then I honestly pity you.
I would assume that the shutdown warnings are on some sort of automated system, with a timer set counting down to a specific time. well, STO didn't shut down at that specific time for some reason. so instead, it shut down 40 minutes later, without said warnings. EVERY OTHER TIME maintenance has occurred, all the way back to OPEN BETA, there have been ingame warnings.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 40
10-18-2010, 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClingingMars View Post
I would assume that the shutdown warnings are on some sort of automated system, with a timer set counting down to a specific time. well, STO didn't shut down at that specific time for some reason. so instead, it shut down 40 minutes later, without said warnings. EVERY OTHER TIME maintenance has occurred, all the way back to OPEN BETA, there have been ingame warnings.
No, that's not true. Not every other time. I've experienced at least a couple of times before this time when they haven't sent any kind of warnings. And it wasn't emergency maintenance either.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:57 AM.