Lt. Commander
# 1 Bugs first, content second
10-16-2010, 05:49 AM
This is a shout out to both the community and the developers.

I'm going to go ahead and guess that most people are going to agree with my stance here. By all means, if you don't, feel free to express that here, but if you do support the general idea, then please also post that support here as well.

The argument I'm putting forth is that the developers need to fix the bugs and fine-tune the game before focusing on bringing out new content and features.

Does the game need new content and features? Hell yes. Won't get an argument against that from me. But ask yourself what you would rather: would you rather play in new content with new features whilst putting up with all the current bugs and frustrations? Or would you rather have the majority of those bugs and frustrations fixed and ironed out, making the play experience much better for everyone first?

Personally, I was a hair's breadth away from just letting my trial account lapse when I first played this game. Honestly, the only reason I subbed was because I currently have a lot of time to kill and I'm sick of WoW. And the primary reason behind that feeling was the buggy game-play. I'm betting that the conversion rate of trial accounts to subscribers is very, very low, simply because of the abysmal first experience most people have with the game.

The biggest reason behind WoW's success is it's accessibility. Let's face it, it's a very easy game to get into and play. That's why you get 12 million subscribers. The majority of them aren't geeks or gamers, they're just regular folk who tried the game out because they'd heard about it or gotten a free trial, and because it was so accessible to them, they continued to play.

STO, however, is the opposite. Immediately you face a world of bugs and difficulties that only the persistent or hardcore overcome. The default settings, for instance, made the game unplayable on my computer. I had to fiddle with them and investigate to find out about the issues behind Dynamic Lighting before I could get the game to be even playable.

And these bugs continue to frustrate and annoy me throughout my time playing. Every time mu sub comes up, I question whether I want to really continue. Currently the only thing keeping me as a subscriber is the hope that the UGC will result in some pure awesome content and give me an outlet for my own creativity.

This is another argument for concentrating on fixing the bugs and fine-tuning the game instead of trying to produce new features and content. The UGC will handle new content for awhile to come. I know KDF players are (whiny) persistent about getting their content up to par, but they should also ask themselves the same question as above, since they suffer from more bugs than even the Fed side.

Personally I would love it if future patches were nothing but bug fixes and fine-tuning game elements until the game was running like a well-oiled machine and was a pleasant experience for both long-term gamers and newbies. Then I'd love to see new content and features come out.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-16-2010, 07:13 AM
Either way, there is a No-WIN situation for the process.

If they stop to fix Bugs, then those wanting Content aditions will Gripe, If they Keep adding new Content, then those waiting for bug fixes will Gripe. Do we turn left or right??
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-16-2010, 07:31 AM
I think they're handled by different people, so I'm not sure that what you're proposing is even an option.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-16-2010, 11:29 AM
I'm hoping that Cryptic is sufficiently staffed to handle both bugs and add new content.

EVE opted to add new content and ignored bugs that are years old. They are spread very thin because they are working on both DUST and Word Of Darkness leaving EVE virtually abandoned. They lost my sub over this.

I'm more into bug hunting myself.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-16-2010, 12:50 PM
My understanding is that a major bug fix is coming with Season 3. Since that's only a month or so away I think getting through the next 5-part weekly series will put is close to the Season 3. So it's really not that far away.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-16-2010, 01:21 PM
Quote:
would you rather play in new content with new features whilst putting up with all the current bugs and frustrations?
yes.

tbh in my time from Ensign to VA I ran into very, very few bugs.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-16-2010, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClingingMars View Post
yes.

tbh in my time from Ensign to VA I ran into very, very few bugs.
I find that astounding. I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I am saying I'm incredibly surprised.

I've levelled three characters to VA so far and am making a third at the moment. I've experienced so many and such a large variety of bugs that I'm left with a standard response to them when an old one rears its head or a new one appears.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekvar
I find that astounding. I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I am saying I'm incredibly surprised.

I've levelled three characters to VA so far and am making a third at the moment. I've experienced so many and such a large variety of bugs that I'm left with a standard response to them when an old one rears its head or a new one appears.
I'd have to say that your experience is unique. Outside of some first-run-throughs on new content that gets added I seldom encounter many bugs now. There are some missions that have become buggy since launch - Hunting the Hunters springs to mind, but for the most part episodes and patrols go off without too many problems for me. Most of the problems I had in past missions have been fixed: Zelle not being out in Divide et Imperia, Geometry clashes in Trapped, Geometry blockage in Ghostship, and so on. I don't get too hung up on spelling issues or the like so I tend to overlook them.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-17-2010, 05:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
I don't get too hung up on spelling issues or the like so I tend to overlook them.
I don't consider a spelling or grammar mistake to be a bug.

Here's a list of the bugs I've experienced, just off the top of my head:
  1. My BO's on ground missions disappearing.
  2. My BO's on ground missions getting 'stuck' somewhere.
  3. My BO's on ground missions not doing anything during a combat and just standing there despite being given orders to move to a particular position or fire on a particular opponent or use particular abilities.
  4. NPC's on ground missions not being interactive in any way but being vital to finishing the mission.
  5. NPC's on ground missions getting stuck inside objects, mountains, buildings, etc. or on top of a tree or building and untargetable but you have to kill it to finish the mission.
  6. NPC's not giving the next stage of the mission.
  7. Ships in space combat getting lodged in asteroids and becoming untargetable. I mean, seriously, either build a better collision detection system or have less friggin space junk in the game.
  8. Anomalies being buried under ground.
  9. Zoning into an exploration mission only to find it's one you've previously completed and it doesn't give you credit for it.
  10. Buttons becoming unclickable and therefore unusable during a combat, both in space and on ground.
  11. Auto-fire not auto-firing on ground missions.
  12. Gun buttons not responding on ground missions despite every other button working fine. Literally having the enemy right in front of you, with your weapon active, no effects on you, and yet... you simply can't fire your weapon.

Again, that's just off the top of my head whilst sitting here thinking about how to respond. I've experienced dozens more and every time I've mentioned a particular bug affecting me to people in my fleet, I've almost always had at least one person pipe up saying that they've had it happen to them as well.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-17-2010, 06:21 AM
1: I encounter the Exploration mission where they BO and foes disappear under ground about once per every other toon.
2: I haven't had that happen since the 45 day patch.
3: I've never had that happen. Have you checked your keyboard or mouse?
4: I don't even know what that is supposed to mean.
5: As with 2, I haven't seen that happen after the 45 day patch.
6: As with 2, I haven't seen that happen after the 45 day patch: with the exception of the new bug in Hunting the Hunters.
7: I've never had one become untargetable. I have had several where I had to change my angle to shoot at them while they're attempting to hide in the asteroid.
8: It happens about once every 20 maps or so. Not that common.
9: Never had that happen since the 45 day patch. Some mission types no longer give credit in the standard way. Gathers no-longer give XP, some missions only give Diplomacy XP now, etc.
10: That sounds like a keyboard issue. I've never had that happen to me.
11: Never had that happen to me, and that's after having 9 alts: 5 of which are admirals..
12: As with 10, it sounds more like a bad signal from your keyboard. Never happen to me.

And as I said above, Season 3 is full of bug fixes so hopefully you'll see some of these problems disappear before the end of the year.