Lt. Commander
# 1 Buddy key vs demo
05-07-2010, 02:39 PM
Does the buddy key actually let you play the game? Lol, the demo gives you the tutorial and one mission, not really enough to see the progression of the game or what you'll be in for. Doesn't allow PvP, or any exploration.

I'm a pretty good candidate for referral points, 90% chance i'll buy if the game continues at this pace... might as well give somebody a referral though since I've read a lot about people needing to recruit members for certain perks. I'd just like a chance to actually make a bit of progress, see where the game leads, and try some PvP before I commit. So if anyone has a spare buddy key, and it will allow more progression than the demo I'd love to give it a shot.

Hope you guys arent sick of threads such as this one, please don't flame me! Looking to be an active member, but you know how it is making a commitment this large when I've heard so many mixed reviews. I appreciate it guys, have fun bodly going...
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-07-2010, 02:41 PM
as far as i know the buddy key gives you 5 days of free play, completely free, no restrictions

the demo only lets you play through a few missions and that's it
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the info. This is kind of a double-post so I apologize if anyone read my post in Starfleet Academy. This one is more directed at the playablity of the buddy-key program though, so I thought it could be its own thread.

Again thanks for the responses, hopefully i'll be a part of the universe soon enough. If anyone needs the referral I'm pretty sure I'll join.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-07-2010, 02:49 PM
I could use the referral lol just send me a message with your info
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-07-2010, 02:57 PM
Hey everyone, thanks for being so generous!! I have a few people willing to send me a buddy key. Not sure how it will play out since I've activated the demo, but well see!

Thanks again, great community so far.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Hey All,

The restrictions on Referral Keys are the same as the demo. Check out our uber-FAQ here.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=155913

Addendum: In the past we offered 5 day buddy keys which allowed access to the entire game, but those are different that what is offered via the referral program that was offered today.

Edit: I specifically changed the wording in the first paragraph to reference "Referral Key" instead of buddy key. Buddy Keys are in fact different from the Demo as Buddy Keys do not have content restrictions, while Demo/Referral keys do.

-Destra
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-07-2010, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM_Destra
Hey All,

The restrictions on buddy keys are the same as the demo. Check out our uber-FAQ here.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=155913

Addendum: In the past we offered 5 day buddy keys which allowed access to the entire game, but those are different that what is offered via the referral program that was offered today.

-Destra
What about the 10 buddy keys with my CE? I assume they work the same as the 5 day one, but clarification would be nice.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-07-2010, 03:18 PM
Well, that sucks. Good thing we got clarification though so I don't burn someones key.

And if you are only going to get 1 mission... wtf do you need the 5 days for from the key... character creation?AND... why would they start the referral program that offers the exact same features on the same day as the demo lol... hmmm...
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-07-2010, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grox View Post
What about the 10 buddy keys with my CE? I assume they work the same as the 5 day one, but clarification would be nice.
Correct, the 10 day buddy keys do not have content restrictions.
Lt. Commander
# 10 Missing Demo Keys
05-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM_Destra
Correct, the 10 day buddy keys do not have content restrictions.
It appears the demo page is redirecting new users to the regular web registration and only a validation email is being generated, and no 2nd email containing the demo key is being sent out. There is no indication on teh demo site where to obtain a demo key. A user on IRC tried 2 different emails to get a key.