Lt. Commander
# 31
10-24-2010, 01:33 PM
LOL, boy did I call this or what? The new item isn't a proton pack per se but it def has elements that resemble the GB's pack and the stream looks like it. Please remember, DON'T CROSS THE STREAMS!
Lt. Commander
# 32
10-24-2010, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew.Felix
Does this mean that Kinetic and Physical damage are becoming two different types of damage for space combat? If so then that means they could interact with shields differently which would be appropriate for some attacks that currently use kinetic damage (like gravity well and photonic shockwave for example... also depending on how this is done it could also fix the problem that is Transphasic Torpedos since they are supposed to do the most damage when hitting a target with shields, but due to how much more damage Quantum Torpedoes do to a target even with the extra penetration that Transphasic Torpedoes have they fail to do more damage when shields are up than Quantum Torpedoes while also having a longer cooldown. Thus Transphasic is obsoleted by Quantum Torpedoes, while canonically Transphasic projectiles are supposed to be able to inflict the most damage when a ship's shields have not been brought down.

If this is the case, I suspect some of the existing skills that give +kinetic resistance would also give +physical resistance too. (like Brace for Impact.)
I think you're just over-analyzing. Kinetic is to Space as Physical is to Ground. Pure and simple. The only difference really is Kinetic refers to projectile (ie. Torpedo/Ramming Speed) where as Physical refers to melee and explosives.
Lt. Commander
# 33
10-30-2010, 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomicile
I think you're just over-analyzing. Kinetic is to Space as Physical is to Ground. Pure and simple. The only difference really is Kinetic refers to projectile (ie. Torpedo/Ramming Speed) where as Physical refers to melee and explosives.
That is quite possible that I was looking into it too much, but since they can add new damage types who knows what they will do in the future. I do know what kinetic and physical currently mean, but we don't know if someday in the future the devs will alter those roles. But since they have modified the Subspace Field Modulator to just be +% resist all and adjusted the cooldown to 3 minutes from 2 it is now sort of a mute point about what they originally meant. Its still a nice item though.