Lt. Commander
I was thinking about some of the things the new crew system could have and i was thinking it might be cool to have a whole bunch of unique ship attachments and weapons kind of like the aegis system, that your crew departments can research over time.

So it would be something like this:

You fight a certain amount of a type of enemy like for example cardassians.
once you unlock the accolade for defeating a certain amount of cardassian ships you would recieve a new research option to assign the relevant department on your ship...say the engineering department.
.maybe the cardassains unlock a shield modification that when researched you can fit a shield device that causes a knockback, or refelcts incoming fire for a few seconds.

the research would be over time, and the speed of the research would increase based on supplies of anomalie components, how active the ship is in combat...etc.

when a department finishes researching a tech you could then craft it, and mount t on your ship, equip it as a device, whatever the final product is.

this idea could also be a way for new combat powers to be introduced.

it could aslo apply to ground weapons and tech.

also in order to craft the relevant piece you would have to visit engineering and do it there.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-05-2011, 03:50 PM
I would absolutely love some sort of x com research component, actually made a thread a long time ago suggesting something like x come for crafting. The research and development in x com was amazing.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Good old XCOM, one of my favorite games of all time. Back on subject, I definitely could see the topic creator's idea fitting in well with the new system proposed by Cryptic. The idea might work better if Cryptic added in some kind of modification slot system for items to allow players more diversity and customization of equipment.
Lt. Commander
# 4 Yes!
01-06-2011, 11:26 AM
This thread wins. I want all of my officers flying around in power armor !

In all seriousness, no game has done squad management/combat better than X-Com (which is sad, but true)...research and manufacturing made a huge difference in how your soldiers performed in battle, and how they performed in battle made a huge difference in how much you could research and manufacture (e.g. bodies recovered, alien parts not destroyed, etc.). It was brilliant and would be a good fit to the game....and maybe even allow for some stuff to do inside the ship.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-06-2011, 01:14 PM
the only thing i was mulling over in my head was how time would be handled in the research, would it be linear like gametime or based on missions completed etc.
how would players reduce or increase the time.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-06-2011, 01:38 PM
YES PLEASE!

I think the basic premise needs to be fleshed out a little more but yeah... this is a great idea
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-07-2011, 01:44 PM
sounds like in the ask cryptic the wise ones are already coming up with something like this! can't wait.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Any reasonable throwback to older sci-fi games like X-Com can't be a bad thing. Can we somehow include Star Control 2's resource gathering as well?
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-07-2011, 04:09 PM
Good old X-Com. I think redshirts under Kirk's command had a far higher life expectancy than my soldiers in that game.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-07-2011, 04:14 PM
you know what is wierd is despite how much everyone loves it, there really never has been a huge xcom remake. I have played many enjoyable clones over the years but never anything as good as the original.