Lt. Commander
# 21
10-18-2010, 04:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USSNighthawk
Same with the grenade throwing animation. My male tac officer now chucks grenades like most chicks throw a football.
ha ha, very true.
Lt. Commander
# 22
10-19-2010, 01:38 PM
wow, this might be the most positive thread in the history of STO forums...

since everyone liked the flashies i'm just going to bump this once in hopes that some poor environmental artist will see it and start to cry.
Lt. Commander
# 23
10-19-2010, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingdeadjedi View Post
If we going to have smaller glowy bits though we need a sound when we are near, like a computer beep or something.
Yeah. Took me awhile to find the first comp cause I wasn't expecting just the screens to glow and not the whole thing. A sound that got progressively louder as we got near it (a la CoH) would be nice.

Normally, I just use my tricorder, but sometimes that doesn't work (like on the final console on the bridge).
Lt. Commander
# 24
10-19-2010, 04:46 PM
I really like this change, but I'm concerned that it's going to be yet another example of something that gets changed for the better in new content, while the rest of the game doesn't update the old stuff to make it consistent.

Then, for 95% of the game, the whole consoles flash, until players get to the few missions where they actually look good.
Lt. Commander
# 25
10-19-2010, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
I really like this change, but I'm concerned that it's going to be yet another example of something that gets changed for the better in new content, while the rest of the game doesn't update the old stuff to make it consistent.

Then, for 95% of the game, the whole consoles flash, until players get to the few missions where they actually look good.
Well, if the rest of the levels are just using cookie cutter objects for the computer consoles, it shouldn't be too hard to adopt them with the new mechanic. But this is just my WAG because I have no idea how they have it coded.
Lt. Commander
# 26
10-19-2010, 05:11 PM
I agree, I liked the change a lot myself.

I did not like that you practically had to be standing on the scanning console in order to interact with it (console in the Engine Room) and I did not like that my scanner could not tell me where any of these interactables were.

I must have run past the Medkit 5 times before I found it on my first run through. I was using the other set of stairs to go up and down in the Med Bay and I did not see the Devidian that appeared there (since it was only there for a split second) when I entered the room with my first character.

A couple of minor adjustments though and I think the devs have made a great change to interactables in the game.

Lt. Commander
# 27
10-19-2010, 05:24 PM
I'm glad most everyone likes the new change to consoles! Our plan was to put it out there and see what you thought, and if it went well we'd update all of the consoles over time. It looks like it's positive, so we'll try and work it in that direction.

In response to evasive maneuvers, the goal was to make it look a little more "organic", like your ship was being overcharged. It may be coming off as too subtle, so we might juice it up a little to make it more visible.
Lt. Commander
# 28
10-19-2010, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salami_Inferno
I'm glad most everyone likes the new change to consoles! Our plan was to put it out there and see what you thought, and if it went well we'd update all of the consoles over time. It looks like it's positive, so we'll try and work it in that direction.

In response to evasive maneuvers, the goal was to make it look a little more "organic", like your ship was being overcharged. It may be coming off as too subtle, so we might juice it up a little to make it more visible.
I didn't like the changes to the consoles initially because I didn't expect it, but if that's the new standard I'm game.
Lt. Commander
# 29
10-19-2010, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salami_Inferno

I think the new graphic is cool, buuuuut the Nebula doesn't have any impulse engines to overcharge.
Lt. Commander
# 30
10-19-2010, 05:31 PM
Hey Steve both of those update you mention are awesome! I actually went back to Earth Space Dock to check the consoles after I realised the change has occurred, only to be slightly disappoint, but now that you've said that, all I have to say is, make it so!

Also, the evasive maneuvers effect could quite easily be missed if the player didn't know about it, so it could probably be good to "juice it up a little" as you say.

Really great work so far though, keep it coming!