Lt. Commander
# 31
10-19-2010, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkzland View Post
I didn't like the changes to the consoles initially because I didn't expect it, but if that's the new standard I'm game.
Once we get most of these changed I'll call it out in the patch notes so everyone knows it's the new standard.
Lt. Commander
# 32
10-19-2010, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salami_Inferno
I'm glad most everyone likes the new change to consoles! Our plan was to put it out there and see what you thought, and if it went well we'd update all of the consoles over time. It looks like it's positive, so we'll try and work it in that direction.

In response to evasive maneuvers, the goal was to make it look a little more "organic", like your ship was being overcharged. It may be coming off as too subtle, so we might juice it up a little to make it more visible.
Looks nice, but ships with multiple impulse Engines, not all fire up equally.

Also, think you can do the same for Emergency Power to the Engines?
Lt. Commander
# 33
10-19-2010, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
Also, think you can do the same for Emergency Power to the Engines?
We're scheduling FX reviews, bit by bit, to address fx we feel need to be updated. Our goal is to continue to improve them over time to improve the visuals of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 34
10-19-2010, 05:57 PM
Quote:
In response to evasive maneuvers, the goal was to make it look a little more "organic", like your ship was being overcharged. It may be coming off as too subtle, so we might juice it up a little to make it more visible.
Increasing the glow might be warranted. It is quite subtle. It is nice to have a lasting visual queue though which remains persistent though the buff, as I believe the old F/X just triggered and we were left with a small counter (often one of many, and hard to read) to indicate it.

And on that note, though some powers do have persistent effects (and have since beta) a lot of powers with lasting effects don't have this to denote continuing buffs, and when they've worn off. The effects on Emergency Power to [X] come to mind, which just flare and leave, with no remaining effects to let you know that their buff is still active (which mostly comes to mind since EPtEngines makes the warp nacelles do something similar to what Evasive does to the impulse, but EPtE's effects flare and vanish...).

Is the change to Evasive Manoeuvres a sign that all abilities with lasting effects will be given a similar treatment, with associated visuals to indicated their use? I could see that being a bit of a blessing and a curse (a LOT of powers are used, and while it IS nice to have real visual feedback about what is active when without having to "read the fine print" it's likely going to become an eyesore).

*EDIT*

Hmm, seems to mostly have been addressed while I was typing. What a difference a minute can make, huh?

*/EDIT*
Lt. Commander
# 35
10-19-2010, 06:00 PM
Quote:
We're scheduling FX reviews, bit by bit, to address fx we feel need to be updated. Our goal is to continue to improve them over time to improve the visuals of the game.
Will we ever get the chance to turn them off... kind of like the shield rings...

helm: Captain in coming torpedoes...

Captain: Brace for impact... and deploy the pink holo-emitters
Lt. Commander
# 36 Subtlety
10-19-2010, 06:06 PM
Would a slight motion blur effect be a good addition, or would that only work on higher end video cards? Perhaps the RCS thrusters should glow also?

As for the consoles, the first time I had real trouble finding the right one in the Devidian mission. It needs an audio cue of some kind. In TNG there's an "Need attention now!" alarm that comes from the consoles that would fit, at least for Feds.
Lt. Commander
# 37
10-19-2010, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Once we get most of these changed I'll call it out in the patch notes so everyone knows it's the new standard.
I like the new consoles too but you'll probably get some complaints from ppl not being able to find the new ones.

An audio clue could be helpful like objects in City of Heroes have... instead of the "ding" sound you could add a "beeping console" sound.
Lt. Commander
# 38
10-19-2010, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror-Master
you could add a "beeping console" sound.
I love that idea, and I love canon ST SFX, your comment reminds me of the Voyager episode "Message in a Bottle", in which the the MK I and MK II EMH programs are alone on the bridge of the USS Prometheus attempting to save the day. When the Mk II hears and repeats "beep beep beep, beep beep beep", then locates the beeping console.
Lt. Commander
# 39
10-19-2010, 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
Will we ever get the chance to turn them off... kind of like the shield rings...

helm: Captain in coming torpedoes...

Captain: Brace for impact... and deploy the pink holo-emitters
I think it would be neat if BFI had a klaxon that went off, and a voice saying "All hands...Brace for Impact" when it activated. Though there would still need to be a visual identifier for our hearing impaired friends.

Lt. Commander
# 40
10-19-2010, 07:25 PM
At first I couldn't find the consoles because i didnt know they had been changed, but now I like the reduced flashiness. As for the buff discussion, I think that is an area that would be a great for VO, as opposed to just visuals. Would add to immersion I think.