Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
10-19-2010, 03:17 PM
PvP in STO has a lot of problems, the main one is there is no real incentive to do so. I like many others do not want to join PvP simply becasue it doesn't appeal to me that much. That being said, the private challenges with in fleets has been something me and my fleet does as a sort of daily competition.

The real solution to Public PvP of course is to rethink the concept a little. The type of matches we have right now are okay if you implement a tournament style ladder and ranking system. But to truelly get people interested in PvP in this game you need to move more towards two types of matches.

1) the first type is taking the Battle grounds and expanding upon it. With objectives as the goal, the fighting takes place as a means to complete a task, not becasue it's the main focus. More BG, with larger, more complex environments and challenges. Have people join underway missions, and let them be some what customizable. The other thing that would help this type is not forcing Fed vs Klingon, but allow mix grouping. Why can't feds and Klingons play together in various team matches, After all that mechanic seems to work great in balancing out our Private matches.

2) the second type of map is persistent battle zone. This could be contested zones in the actual war that players can join at their leisure and compete to complete task/objectives that change after the original objective is completed/failed. So for example you have Star Base 24. The Klingons succeed in taking over the base, the objective is then updated in real time for new players and older players to continue with out having to rezone back into it and repeat it. The new objective would be something like, feds take back the Star Base, while Klingons defend. There should also be NPC vessels running around as both a balancing tool, and giving others something to fight as they wait for more players to join them. You should also earn rewards for each objective you help complete, and would make for some excellent daily stuff.

also, just and idea, but how about some capture the flag sort of maps for ground and why not a free for all sort of scenarios?
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-19-2010, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
I didn't experience this. My Klingon PvP'd easy. However when I say Beta I mean the whole thing. I was in the closed Beta from day one too.
Oh. Beta. Gotcha. I missed that part. I thought you were referring to now.
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-19-2010, 03:41 PM
Things that have gotten worse since beta in my opinion:

Attacks on the Devs and staff by some players on the forums...
The volume of obvious hyperbole by some players on the forums..
The volume of obvious lies by some players on the forums..
The volume of obviously pointless complaint threads by some players on the forums...

Things that have gotten better since beta in my opinion:

The game itself.

Lt. Commander
# 14
10-19-2010, 03:51 PM
The fleet actions were so epic during sto's early days, until they made them desolate wastelands. I really don't understand why I can play on a team with players of higher and lower levels with sidekicking stuff, but we can't have a fleet action that fleets can play. It doesn't have to be realiatic (Lt. coms fighting alongside VA on the same gameplay level). It just needs to be fun again.
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-19-2010, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asakara

The volume of obviously pointless complaint threads by some players on the forums...

The game itself.

You got that pretty much backwards, from my perspective.

The forums are downright dull compared to how they were during beta and immediately following release.

Meanwhile the game now suffers from a lack of player base, leading to desolate DSE's, Fleet Actions, and PvP, compared to beta and launch. Although slowly improving, missions are still largely 2-dimensional and there's still no incentive and little requirement to group with other players. We're getting ships of ancient design that have no place in he 25th century leading to a new realm of game world discontinuity. And I still can't click on a chair to sit in it.
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-19-2010, 07:54 PM
Welcome to Cryptic lol

If its not broke, it will be soon.
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-19-2010, 08:10 PM
There are actually fewer queues and (therefore) shorter load times for said queues.

The concurrent online user numbers who enter PvP are less than Open beta but that doesn't mean the system hasn't improved - it just means there are fewer people (and rightfully so, do to the horrendous crashing at Season 2 launch).

The playerbase is what determines the wait times and the reduced number of queues (anyone remember the dozens of queues from Open Beta though Season 1)?.
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-19-2010, 08:40 PM
Personally I havent been around long enough to comment on this, so Ill just say keep on trucking, good luck and thanks for the game.
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-19-2010, 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asakara

The game itself.

Thank you. Apparently one of the few sensible people on this blasted forum.
Lt. Commander
# 20
10-19-2010, 09:10 PM
Two and a half hours of play for three short matches on Klingon General tier tonight. It could be worse, but some of these waits are a half hour+.

Other tiers can be just as bad. This is during prime time as well, which is very surprising.

I can't stress enough how important it is to have a system that enables frequent PvP at all tiers of play, especially for bringing in friends to the game.