Lt. Commander
# 1 New Navigation Mini-Game
10-19-2010, 05:00 PM
Originally posted as part of my A better way to do Sector Area Maps thread, which is somewhat long and generally left ignored in the Controls and User Interface section of the forums. That thread has received very positive feedback, but as I said, since it is buried in the Controls and User interface section it doesn't get read much and I'm not sure if the devs have seen it at all. So, I decided to post this portion here as a prospective mini-game for the devs to design which would make travel in Sector Space just a bit more Trek-like and a bit more fun.

Advanced Course Settings

Advanced Course Settings would allow players to designate a course by using systems to mark a specific directional route. The Course window would appear when you selected a System icon, just as it does now. But instead of only asking if you would like to set a course to that System, it would also have an option to set an Advanced course.

With this option you could select a number of Systems and designate whether you want to stop or continue when you reach them and then click Engage. If you elect to stop at any system along your course, your ship will stop and hold position until you enter the mission or choose to Resume Course. If you opt to continue the Ship will continue immediately to the next System along your plotted course.

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

This kind of system would allow players to plot a course that goes to each of their currently active missions or to go to another Sector Block at a specific point so that they spawn on the end of the Block they want to.

The sliding Adjustable Course Markers would help to designate a specific area to cross into another Sector Block with Advanced Courses. Also, this would simply feel more Trek-like than plotting a course that goes in a straight line to a single location.

Comments and feedback are welcome.

Lt. Commander
# 2
10-20-2010, 10:39 AM
Okay, maybe the positive feedback in Controls and User Interface was misleading.

Lt. Commander
# 3
10-20-2010, 10:46 AM
I don't really understand how this is a mini-game, or really what the point is. if you need to go to vulcan, go to vulcan. If there's nothing there that you want to do, go to risa. There's nothing ever there, so go to eta eridani. You can do all of this by clicking on things in the menu.

all you're proposing is a queue system for warp travel, which to me is pointless because if you want to go into the vulcan system, your queue will be deleted once you switch instances.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-20-2010, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP3CTREnyc
I don't really understand how this is a mini-game, or really what the point is. if you need to go to vulcan, go to vulcan. If there's nothing there that you want to do, go to risa. There's nothing ever there, so go to eta eridani. You can do all of this by clicking on things in the menu.

all you're proposing is a queue system for warp travel, which to me is pointless because if you want to go into the vulcan system, your queue will be deleted once you switch instances.
What? How do you get a queue system from what I am proposing.

It is sort of a mini game (not like Dabo, but similar to the Scanning mini-game). It adds more depth to setting a course than just picking a single system and going in a straight line to it.

You choose multiple locations in order to navigate a course that takes you from one location to the next on your way to your final destination. You can set a course to go to all of you current missions one at a time or you can set a course to go by each system in order to avoid DSEs or you can set a course to go to another Sector Block at a different point in order to enter it on the side you want.

It has nothing to do with setting up a queue to enter a system.

Lt. Commander
# 5
10-20-2010, 11:08 AM
Isn't this another version of the same thread linked in your OP?
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-20-2010, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Isn't this another version of the same thread linked in your OP?
Yes. Did you read my opening paragraph?