Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Gameplay Bug Reports
Login

Notices

Lt. Commander
# 1 Mouse trails
09-16-2010, 07:18 PM
So I've been back to STO for a few days now and I'm noticing that after a while my mouse starts to have mouse trails. I'm not messing with settings or anything, but it just starts trailing at random. No specific location or action triggers it.

Is there a setting I should change to stop this from occurring? It's rather annoying when I'm in the middle of a fight and have to "judge" which of the five or six mouse images I see is the right one so I can click the almighty "life-saving" ability (Whatever it may be at that particular moment)...

/annoyed

/requesthelp

JimmytheShank
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-16-2010, 07:23 PM
The mouse trails are the White Whale to my Captain Ahab, JimmytheShank. It's nefariously difficult to reproduce and debug in-house.

I appreciate you letting us know that it's still occurring, though. Thank you. I'm not going to stop keeping an eye out for it, heh.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-16-2010, 09:02 PM
I have gotten the mouse trails from time to time myself. When I get the trails, it's really more of a ghost, where one image of the cursor will lag behind.

This happened to me last night. All I can figure out is that it happens from time to time when I swap between my web browser on Monitor #2 to the full screen game on Monitor #1. I can't reproduce it on purpose myself. Most of the time the only good way to fix it is to exit the game.

In total, this has happened about 5 times to me and I have been playing since open beta.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-16-2010, 11:13 PM
I've seen this a few times. Not too often. I run two monitors, with STO in Fullscreen mode on the larger (26" Widescreen LCD, yeah baby) and various aux programs (IE, Excel, iTunes, whatever) on my old/smaller (19" Standard LCD). I notice the problem usually starts when I'm often clicking back and forth between the two screens. I'll click out of STO, then back, and suddenly I've got a trailing mouse. The mouse is only in the STO screen. Only way I've found to get rid of it is to exit/reopen the game.

Again, it's not really been a problem, just has happened 3-5 times or so in these last 7mos I've been playing.

Questions Terramak: Would it help if I place a Bug Ticket in game when it happens? Is there any info about my system that could help narrow down the problem?
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-17-2010, 02:38 AM
I have had a mouse trail when there was alot of (space) action on screen and my fps dropped. I thought my game or PC might crash, but thankfully it didn't.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-17-2010, 02:52 AM
I had the mouse trail for the first time a day or so ago although this is probably the least problematic cursor issue I've had in the last week or two. It's been completely disappearing in space, getting stuck in the "clicked" mode, etc. Never had the issues before, it's a fairly recent issue for me.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-17-2010, 03:21 AM
I have a hard time seeing the cursor at times, would be nice if it was available in other colors. Or maybe a trail would help me see it, lol. I have no trouble seeing the CO mouse cursor, maybe an option similar to that would be cool, or a nice Star Trek gold color.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-17-2010, 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon_Picard
I had the mouse trail for the first time a day or so ago although this is probably the least problematic cursor issue I've had in the last week or two. It's been completely disappearing in space, getting stuck in the "clicked" mode, etc. Never had the issues before, it's a fairly recent issue for me.
Same here,but i've had these issues for a while now.The mouse trail happens when there is a lot happening on screen and you try to (repeatedly) click on something like a ship or power.(sigh....lag) And the other 2 issues seem to be totally random....except for the fact that it happens on STF's...for me at least.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-17-2010, 10:53 AM
i also get this rarley ... no idea where it's coming from.

i see one mousecursor how it is supposed to be and one that follows it with a fixed delay.
it's not 5 or 6 it is allways 2.

my best guess is that this has *something* to do with either Vsync or with Hardware / Software Cursor options because those are the only 2 things that could create a mousecursor with a delay ....AFAIK

I have Vsync active.

Also sometimes i have a mousecursor following that isn't the default one but the one you see when you mouseover some interactive object. ...Interaction Cursor?
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-17-2010, 11:01 AM
I've had this issue for so long now, I think it might even have started soon after the launch of the game (or even earlier than that?). I still can't pinpoint exactly how to make it start but as it was said maybe it's clicking powers too fast, or... maybe when I use the two mouse buttons at the same time to navigate my character.

Fortunately, I have found a way to make the ghost trail disappear! I have to open a window where there is a sliding bar (like for example pressing U to bring up the character sheet and then going in the Skills menu, there's always a scrollbar there,) Then scroll the bar all the way down and finally I click on the downward arrow (when the bar is totally down the scrollbar). For me, it's a failsafe way to take out the trail (and I hate the trail because it makes the cursor slower and less responsive overall).