Lt. Commander
# 81
10-24-2010, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWRicheson View Post
I am an avid player of Federation and Klingon. I have spent a great deal of money in the C-Store. This item is being released to a faction with very few customization options, unlike the previous additions for the Federation. While those ship skins were wonderful options for a faction that already had several, this one provides an alternative that should have been a part of the original game release. Paying for Klingon content, where there is so little currently, is offensive and an enormous turn off to the good work the C-Store otherwise does.

I will not purchase this, and I sincerely hope that fans of the Klingon faction will also choose to not encourage Klingon content in this fashion.
I strongly agree with this statement.
Lt. Commander
# 82
10-24-2010, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilhippo View Post
There is still a vast amount of unused Klingon canon content so I think you are being over-generous to Cryptic

The real reasons, I suspect, were (1) they had/have a finite amount of resources and understandably spent more of it doing Fed... they just over did that more than a tad (2) some very questionable early design decisions based on inconsistent management priorities during the development process
Very much agreed. Dstahl has been very honest with us. Due to those early decisions, especially the decision to lock the game's release date to a specific date, the Klingon faction got totally shafted. Add in the questionable decisions and empty promisies of the previous management and we get where we are today...

The Klingon faction is currently in a catch 22 situation. The lack of Klingon players means that it's very hard for Dstahl to justify spending the Devs limited time and resources on developing Klingon specific content, but because of that lack of content, it is unlikely that the Klingon faction will see an increase in it's playerbase share.

While I understand, and somewhat agree with those people who are saying that we're risking sending a "fleece us" message to Cryptic regarding Klingon content, I see the Vor'cha alternate as a way for us, the playerbase to give those people that Dstahl reports to some direct feedback. A way to show that there is indeed a demand/market to be tapped in the form of the Klingon faction, that it is worth diverting extra funds to bring the faction up to Fed standards.
Lt. Commander
# 83
10-24-2010, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphenoix
Very much agreed. Dstahl has been very honest with us. Due to those early decisions, especially the decision to lock the game's release date to a specific date, the Klingon faction got totally shafted. Add in the questionable decisions and empty promisies of the previous management and we get where we are today...

The Klingon faction is currently in a catch 22 situation. The lack of Klingon players means that it's very hard for Dstahl to justify spending the Devs limited time and resources on developing Klingon specific content, but because of that lack of content, it is unlikely that the Klingon faction will see an increase in it's playerbase share.

While I understand, and somewhat agree with those people who are saying that we're risking sending a "fleece us" message to Cryptic regarding Klingon content, I see the Vor'cha alternate as a way for us, the playerbase to give those people that Dstahl reports to some direct feedback. A way to show that there is indeed a market to be tapped in the form of the Klingon faction, that it is worth diverting extra funds to bring the faction up to Fed standards.
You hit the nail on the head.
At the end of the day, Cryptic is a business. The hours spent bringing the KDF faction slowly up to par with the UFP need to be paid for somehow. I agree that the lack of customization needs to be addressed and I understand why people are mad that its in the C-Storem but look at it this way:

This is a ship "skin" it costs approx 2 USD, this is covering their man-hours. With this we are also getting a new material texture for all KDF ships & a new Tier 5 variant for free. If you don't like the ship, don't buy it of course. The individual parts look great on a Vor'cha though (in my opinion).
By boycotting a $2 ship design, I think everyone is sending a message that the monetary returns on KDF-only production won't justify the time spent to produce it. I know that's not the message any of us wants to send.
Lt. Commander
# 84
10-24-2010, 09:52 AM
Quote:
While I understand, and somewhat agree with those people who are saying that we're risking sending a "fleece us" message to Cryptic regarding Klingon content, I see the Vor'cha alternate as a way for us, the playerbase to give those people that Dstahl reports to some direct feedback. A way to show that there is indeed a demand/market to be tapped in the form of the Klingon faction, that it is worth diverting extra funds to bring the faction up to Fed standards.
I really wish the world worked like that. However, its much more likely that if this does sell well, it will simply result in more KDF ships being added to the C-store. And as others have already mentioned, KDF players already support the KDF faction with their monthy sub. Are you saying KDF players should have to pay more than Fed players to bring their faction up to "fed standards"?
Lt. Commander
# 85
10-24-2010, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilhippo View Post
Why? Will that generate enough money to keep developing the game?
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/07/lo...g-free-to-pla/
Lt. Commander
# 86
10-24-2010, 10:05 AM
Um Can you guys keep doing Klingon and Alien ships and just outsource the fed ships to someone else...

Don't get me wrong your fed ships aren't bad, but that klingon ship is better than any Cryptic made Fed ship...
Lt. Commander
# 87
10-24-2010, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I really wish the world worked like that. However, its much more likely that if this does sell well, it will simply result in more KDF ships being added to the C-store. And as others have already mentioned, KDF players already support the KDF faction with their monthy sub. Are you saying KDF players should have to pay more than Fed players to bring their faction up to "fed standards"?
I understand what you're saying GN, but I have to turn what you're saying back around on you "I really wish the world worked like that". Cryptic is a business, they're in this to make money... and fact is... The Klingon faction is pretty much a failed product. Yes, it failed due to poor design decisions, like the locked release date and the mishandling of the klingon faction by Dstahl's predecessor, but it doesn't change the fact that those at the top of Cryptic and Atari, those people who are in charge of of the money flow, could easily turn round and tell Dstahl to stop supporting the klingon faction entirely and to focus all his limited development resources onto the Federation faction.

Yes, I agree that there is a risk that we could encourage needed Klingon content only being made available through the C-store, but there is also a good chance that by purchasing the Vor'cha alternate we, the playerbase can send a message to those who hold the purse strings that there is a real demand for improvements to the Klingons, especially if those players who ordinarily don't play Klingons due to the PvP focus but would if there was more content available unconnected to pvp, also purchase the Vor'cha.
Lt. Commander
# 88
10-24-2010, 10:18 AM
Quote:
I understand what you're saying GN, but I have to turn what you're saying back around on you "I really wish the world worked like that". Cryptic is a business, they're in this to make money... and fact is... The Klingon faction is pretty much a failed product. Yes, it failed due to poor design decisions, like the locked release date and the mishandling of the klingon faction by Dstahl's predecessor, but it doesn't change the fact that those at the top of Cryptic and Atari, those people who are in charge of of the money flow, could easily turn round and tell Dstahl to stop supporting the klingon faction entirely and to focus all his limited development resources onto the Federation faction.

Yes, I agree that there is a risk that we could encourage needed Klingon content only being made available through the C-store, but there is also a good chance that by purchasing the Vor'cha alternate we, the playerbase can send a message to those who hold the purse strings that there is a real demand for improvements to the Klingons, especially if those players who ordinarily don't play Klingons due to the PvP focus but would if there was more content available unconnected to pvp, also purchase the Vor'cha.
Theres a couple of points I want to reply to in your post:

1) Of course Cryptic is a business, that is simply stating the obvious.

2) Yes, sadly the way the KDF was implimented was an epic fail.

3) Businesses usually dont like to admit their failures, so its very unlikely Cryptic would simply give up on the KDF. Plus, doing so would mean they wouldnt be able to release any future factions, so that will never happen.

4) The only thing that will convince the suits and bean counters to invest alot of resources into the KDF faction is if their internal numbers show that a good portion of the playerbase is playing that faction. How good this ship sells will only determine how soon another KDF ship is added to the C-store, not how much content the KDF faction gets in game. Once again, that will only be determined by their internal numbers that show how many people are actually playing the KDF faction.
Lt. Commander
# 89
10-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Quote:

Have to agree with ya on this.
Lt. Commander
# 90
10-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Theres a couple of points I want to reply to in your post:

1) Of course Cryptic is a business, that is simply stating the obvious.

2) Yes, sadly the way the KDF was implimented was an epic fail.

3) Businesses usually dont like to admit their failures, so its very unlikely Cryptic would simply give up on the KDF. Plus, doing so would mean they wouldnt be able to release any future factions, so that will never happen.

4) The only thing that will convince the suits and bean counters to invest alot of resources into the KDF faction is if their internal numbers show that a good portion of the playerbase is playing that faction. How good this ship sells will only determine how soon another KDF ship is added to the C-store, not how much content the KDF faction gets in game. Once again, that will only be determined by their internal numbers that show how many people are actually playing the KDF faction.
Do you really believe that the kdf ships are going be treated any different than the fed ones just because the kdf has less than the feds?