Lt. Commander
When I first heard about UGC, I was so excited. But all this new talk about some review board is killing that excitement pretty fast. I want to be able to log in, create a mission, then post about it here on the forums and get other people to try it. Having to wait for some pannel to review the mission doesnt sound fun at all. If theres going to be a rating system and the ability to report bad missions, why isnt that enough?
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-25-2010, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksparrowjive55 View Post
When I first heard about UGC, I was so excited. But all this new talk about some review board is killing that excitement pretty fast. I want to be able to log in, create a mission, then post about it here on the forums and get other people to try it. Having to wait for some pannel to review the mission doesnt sound fun at all. If theres going to be a rating system and the ability to report bad missions, why isnt that enough?
Most likely simply put, because the rights holders want oversight. Thats pretty much what I expect the reasoning to be.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-25-2010, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castmodean View Post
Most likely simply put, because the rights holders want oversight. Thats pretty much what I expect the reasoning to be.
That doesnt really make sense, since we're talking about players here. How is it "oversight" is someone just gets all their friends to approve their mission regardless of whether it breaks some kind of rule or not?
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-25-2010, 10:07 AM
Quote:
The panel is composed of any and every player who wants to join and it's essential that UGC get rated/playtested, among other things to determine the reward.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-25-2010, 10:33 AM
To add a counter argument to this. the tools we are getting are going to be powerful, and the fact is there are there to stop people who will make content that is inappropriate for some of our players. We had a discussion about this yesterday on the Red Shirt Army, and one of our guest host stated that not only does he play, but his kids play, and his father plays, and he doesn't want them to come across something that is inappropriate for their age.

Granted some of that stuff would be stopped by the rating system, but you still run a higher risk to getting something inappropriate with a rating system because it is easier to grief then the reviewer board. Plus after listening through the interview myself, it looks like there is going to be a system of check and balances. If something is flagged inappropriate, then it is sent to cryptic to check the mission. If the reviewer was lying then it seems that he would be punished, and the content released.

On the plus side it takes 4 or 5 random people to review the mission, and in truth you would really have to work hard to game the system to get bad content through, and even then cryptic could track which reviews let it through, and deal with it.

The problem with this is the fact that this game is kind of a family game, and there are people who will make bad content. If those people were not here then we would not have a problem, but that would happen only in a perfect world...
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-25-2010, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
The panel is composed of any and every player who wants to join and it's essential that UGC get rated/playtested, among other things to determine the reward.
I fear we have not see the last of the "battery" drop. :p

Who exactly determines rewards? and how will this affect multipart missions that are designed to have specific dropped items for completion of secondary and third parts of the same storyline?
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-25-2010, 11:20 AM
why dont we wait for it to hit tribble in a couple of weeks and then we can all tell exactly how it will work. there seams to be so much speculation and misinformation in just about every UGC thread that it might just be sensible to wait and see.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-25-2010, 11:36 AM
Releasing something too fast could be a major issue - hence the review. Think of it less as a review board and more as free quality assurance testing for your mission.

I know my missions might be quite complex with their dialogue choices. It's great that I can get people to try and "break" my missions instead of buggy, broken missions giving everyone a bad taste in the collective mouth over UGC.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-25-2010, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Do you want to have hundreds of bugged or useless missions in the game wasting your time? No, didn't think so. Also, Cryptic is liable for any and all content in their games, which means you aren't gonna have the ability to make anything you want and add it to the game.

A review board is neccessary. I know of no UGC program w/o one. PotBS has one, and the players are the commitee.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-25-2010, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Releasing something too fast could be a major issue - hence the review. Think of it less as a review board and more as free quality assurance testing for your mission.

I know my missions might be quite complex with their dialogue choices. It's great that I can get people to try and "break" my missions instead of buggy, broken missions giving everyone a bad taste in the collective mouth over UGC.
I hope to play all of your missions

Even though I'm not in favor of UGC missions.