Lt. Commander
# 1 Enslaving civilizations
10-24-2010, 08:15 PM
I want my Klingon to conquer civilizations. I'd like to have continuous missions throughout the universe where Klingons are given missions to attack a race and systematically take it all over, then actually have that race to choose as a BO. Then we can have missions were we have to stay around and defend the sector or ground from other races or the rebels of the race that we enslaved. Also we could be put in charge of placing turrets in space and providing security while defenses are built.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-25-2010, 06:08 AM
They had it for space about 12 years ago in SFC's Dynaverse. But since this game was half-xxxed from the start added with a "I can't" attitude from the devs it is 0% chance they will.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-26-2010, 05:55 AM
In our modern progressive society we are very very unlikely to see any computer game where people can profit from slavery. We have to dream up new concepts to cover that gorund, like clones, demons, monsters and AI. They can be freely controlled, of course, bound for eternity to serve their masters. But enslaving people, no-chance. Especially where they are enslaved 'as a race'.

Sci-Fi has always endorsed racial supremacy, of course, and however repugnant that is as a premise to me, we seem to be able to ignore it or worse still - to accept it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-26-2010, 06:27 AM
Why don't ye merge this thread into the PVE thread?
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-26-2010, 06:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Restless.Kaiser
In our modern progressive society we are very very unlikely to see any computer game where people can profit from slavery.
Yet I can play a game where I can get money for running people over with my car? Interesting.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-26-2010, 06:48 AM
Yes, it seems people are touchy about certain issues, and others involving complete and utter gross violence are ignored..
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-26-2010, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleTerribleRomulan
Yes, it seems people are touchy about certain issues, and others involving complete and utter gross violence are ignored..
Indeed. It is a mystery, or at least an odd set of choices we make as a society. Although I don't play games as gratuitous as that myself I recognise there is a huge market for it.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-26-2010, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Indeed. It is a mystery, or at least an odd set of choices we make as a society. Although I don't play games as gratuitous as that myself I recognise there is a huge market for it.
Sure, that's what she said...lol...jk...but yes, you are quite right.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-26-2010, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoav160 View Post
They had it for space about 12 years ago in SFC's Dynaverse.
Ah, the Glory days of watching the Red stain as it spread across the Known Universe...
How ya doing Aoav?
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-26-2010, 11:33 AM
Quote:
In our modern progressive society we are very very unlikely to see any computer game where people can profit from slavery. We have to dream up new concepts to cover that gorund, like clones, demons, monsters and AI. They can be freely controlled, of course, bound for eternity to serve their masters. But enslaving people, no-chance. Especially where they are enslaved 'as a race'.

Sci-Fi has always endorsed racial supremacy, of course, and however repugnant that is as a premise to me, we seem to be able to ignore it or worse still - to accept it.
As Dean Devlin said : "The only two villains we can do without offending anyone are aliens and Nazis."
So there will always be the culturally inferior alien villain who does evil because...the script calls for it.
And we all know the average Nazi is dumb not just since "Hogan's Heroes".
This is also something we repeteadly see in the STO forum when people decide Klingons are racially dumb and should not be able to build a carrier, not have tricorders etc.

So in Sci-Fi and also in many war-movies it is good to kill the alien/Nazi since it's done by the good guys.
This is also the reason why it is okay to kill an entire research station full of Romulans:
Because the good people do it for a good cause, or so they believe.
And it's Aliens they kill so it's not that bad anyway.
So when it turns out it was not an actual weapons-something it's "Whoops, sorry we'll send you a froot-basket to make it up to you."
But now imagine the player in a position to attack a probably weaker enemy to conquer and potentially enslave them.
May not be something everyone can live with particularly when you look at the age of the target comsumers (teens).
This could probably be done better in an adult game, especially since unlike in games like SFC you'd end up not just conquering an anonymous hex on a map but would get down to a planet, nice and personal.
This is something that can be done in a wargame, but in Star Trek?
Probably not in this game.