Lt. Commander
# 31
10-26-2010, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambril
The vast majority of items in the game have this price structure and of course you are right even at a 60% of base price you would be losing EC. But there are a few commodity items where you can buy at 100 and sell to the regular 50% vendors at 100 - or in the case of the pre-patch Deferi at 120 - a 20% profit. (Acutally the worst offender was a stackable item that could be bought at 400 and sold at 480). While this mechanic can work in games that are designed for it (Elite or EVE for example) - this game was not designed that way.

But I would suggest that the bug was with the items with the odd pricing structure, not that Deferi would pay 60%. If they were fixed there would be no problem - just a bonus for people who were prepared to travel to sell their loot.
It would have been easy enough to make this bug a feature. Make the native Items (comodities) base price and have them be 10% higher price everywhere else. Theeeeeeen picking a random area and saying there is a shortage of a certain commodity. That area/station/planet would pay a small percentage above value for that item. Nothing huge, maybe like 3%. I could easily make more blowing stuff up and dumping it at a vendor than transporting a good. This would however give the people screaming for a merchant class a way to be pacified or even make them really really happy.
Lt. Commander
# 32
10-26-2010, 09:28 AM
The above post is correct. the problem was not with the Deferi Vendors ( not just outpost 3 but administrator Vux on planet Defera paid the same amount). The problem was with the commodity broker at Starbase 39. The prices there were low compared to other places.

Now that this is "fixed" I'm so totally sure that all of our problems will magically disappear. If we could only punish all those players, then we could all be equal and all get along...

Well... maybe we'll need to do a little more to level out the playing field... Why not just equal out all players EC accounts? These greedy people only hurt the other players and have been exploiting everything possible and now there is no way to compete with them to get to the same level of wealth.

It's totally unfair that players that played by "the rules" are now at a terrible disadvantage because a bunch of people figured out how to make insane amounts of EC relatively quickly. This has TOTALLY unbalanced the game and makes a normal player unable to compete in anything.

It's not fair that people who play "by the rules" have to have all crappy green & white gear while leveling up, while these "cheaters" can have anything they want. They just get a co-conspirator to help them move EC from one character to another or just mail the items to "themselves" and use it on a lower character. How can a "newb" compete with that? It's NOT FAIR!! and I'm gonna get my mom to call cryptic and make them fix it.

These people play ALL the TIME and just make lotsa EC and totally ruin the game for me so they should be punished. They should be kicked out of StarFleet for profiteering and have all their stuff confiscated, get demoted permanently & have all Starbase access denied & get barred from the exchange. Then I'll have a decent chance of being able to compete.
Lt. Commander
# 33
10-26-2010, 09:31 AM
I think that might be my favorite post ever regarding EC and gear, Napolean.

But you forgot people in fleets that use their fleet's bank resources to aid their lowbies!

How dare they use their collective resources to aid their friends in leveling!

How dare people have better gear for completing quests before others!

And how dare people for having friends, that are willing to help out!
Lt. Commander
# 34
10-26-2010, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_BlownApart
The above post is correct. the problem was not with the Deferi Vendors ( not just outpost 3 but administrator Vux on planet Defera paid the same amount). The problem was with the commodity broker at Starbase 39. The prices there were low compared to other places.

Now that this is "fixed" I'm so totally sure that all of our problems will magically disappear. If we could only punish all those players, then we could all be equal and all get along...

Well... maybe we'll need to do a little more to level out the playing field... Why not just equal out all players EC accounts? These greedy people only hurt the other players and have been exploiting everything possible and now there is no way to compete with them to get to the same level of wealth.

It's totally unfair that players that played by "the rules" are now at a terrible disadvantage because a bunch of people figured out how to make insane amounts of EC relatively quickly. This has TOTALLY unbalanced the game and makes a normal player unable to compete in anything.

It's not fair that people who play "by the rules" have to have all crappy green & white gear while leveling up, while these "cheaters" can have anything they want. They just get a co-conspirator to help them move EC from one character to another or just mail the items to "themselves" and use it on a lower character. How can a "newb" compete with that? It's NOT FAIR!! and I'm gonna get my mom to call cryptic and make them fix it.

These people play ALL the TIME and just make lotsa EC and totally ruin the game for me so they should be punished. They should be kicked out of StarFleet for profiteering and have all their stuff confiscated, get demoted permanently & have all Starbase access denied & get barred from the exchange. Then I'll have a decent chance of being able to compete.
Hahahaha... love the sarcastic rant.

It's interesting that this was identified as a bug, when the Deferi series went live, I thought this was marketed as a special incentive for the Federation/Klingon Empire giving assistance to the Deferi (as a means of achieving balance).

Anyway, people should be less angry with the players who actually figured it out and took advantage, and just attribute it to natural economic forces... because these conditions, or anamolies, do occur in the real world all the time. Hell, I'm mad at myself for focusing too much on leveling to even realize that I could take advantage. But eventually, this will lead to a self-correction in the marketplace since the influx of fresh EC will slow down... until the next bubble that is
Lt. Commander
# 35
10-26-2010, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by depauljeff View Post
Hahahaha... love the sarcastic rant.

It's interesting that this was identified as a bug, when the Deferi series went live, I thought this was marketed as a special incentive for the Federation/Klingon Empire giving assistance to the Deferi (as a means of achieving balance).

Anyway, people should be less angry with the players who actually figured it out and took advantage, and just attribute it to natural economic forces... because these conditions, or anamolies, do occur in the real world all the time. Hell, I'm mad at myself for focusing too much on leveling to even realize that I could take advantage. But eventually, this will lead to a self-correction in the marketplace since the influx of fresh EC will slow down... until the next bubble that is
I kinda sorta posted about that a little bit above. Kinda....not really... but close...
Lt. Commander
# 36
10-26-2010, 09:50 AM
Quote:

No, they should just have action taken against their accounts because they were violating the Terms of Service. It's as simple as that. To not do so sends out the message that it's acceptable to exploit bugs in Star Trek Online.
Lt. Commander
# 37
10-26-2010, 09:54 AM
Yes... I did forget those "Evil Fleets" that give away gear of any kind to anyone in their fleet. They use these Fleet Banks to unfairly gain an advantage over us "Loners" that can't stand to play in a team or be social in any way. These "Team Players" get to do all the STF's together and I have to try and find a PUG that always ends badly.

These Fleet People have an unfair advantage over single players. So we need the Dev's to fix it so that it is a level playing field for everyone... Here's what we'll do...

We'll put an EC tax on items in the Fleet Bank. It will cost a 10% fee to deposit 1 item in any fleet bank and a 10% fee to withdraw any item from any fleet bank. These fees will be put in a "Lock-Box" for use only by players not in a Fleet so that they can purchase items that they could not normally afford. The amount available to non-fleet players will be determined by level of character and time played so that those who need the EC the most will get their "Fair Share" that was stolen by these Fleet Members.

This will make things more even for everybody and keep these fleets from unbalancing the game.
Lt. Commander
# 38
10-26-2010, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Yes... I did forget those "Evil Fleets" that give away gear of any kind to anyone in their fleet. They use these Fleet Banks to unfairly gain an advantage over us "Loners" that can't stand to play in a team or be social in any way. These "Team Players" get to do all the STF's together and I have to try and find a PUG that always ends badly.

These Fleet People have an unfair advantage over single players. So we need the Dev's to fix it so that it is a level playing field for everyone... Here's what we'll do...

We'll put an EC tax on items in the Fleet Bank. It will cost a 10% fee to deposit 1 item in any fleet bank and a 10% fee to withdraw any item from any fleet bank. These fees will be put in a "Lock-Box" for use only by players not in a Fleet so that they can purchase items that they could not normally afford. The amount available to non-fleet players will be determined by level of character and time played so that those who need the EC the most will get their "Fair Share" that was stolen by these Fleet Members.

This will make things more even for everybody and keep these fleets from unbalancing the game.
aside from the sarcasm, that could actually work. creepy.
Lt. Commander
# 39
10-26-2010, 10:13 AM
oh yeah... I forgot something else...

One man's Sarcasm is another man's Bible. What seems absurd to one person can seem absolutely true to another.

I apologize if my comment's stray into political parallels - but they are all essentially the same argument.

It's about the chance to succeed vs. the desire for equality. It's about just ambling along having a good time playing or being hardcore and trying to get ahead and succeeding.

It describes thinking inside the box or outside the box. It's about being part of a dogmatic group of followers or trying something new and taking a risk.

It is about taking the profit from one persons vision and risk taking and distributing this profit to the masses that have no desire to better themselves and just want to "be equal" with the people that work hard and take risks and try new things.
Lt. Commander
# 40
10-26-2010, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combadge
No, they should just have action taken against their accounts because they were violating the Terms of Service. It's as simple as that. To not do so sends out the message that it's acceptable to exploit bugs in Star Trek Online.
I doubt buying low and selling high is a violation of the terms of service, if it was, I guess I should have my account banned for buying items priced too cheaply on the exchange and reselling them at higher prices?

Besides, it's not like this vendor was a secret only known to a few, everyone knew that it bought items at 60% percent value, and the people that were smart enough to make cargo runs profited.
Closed Thread