Lt. Commander
# 41
10-26-2010, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
He may mean T6 ships can be permalost - these would be fleet starships. That's what I got out of "top tier ships."
While that may be true, why tack on a new metric to a sub-set of ships/items? It just seems ineffecient and "hodge-podge".

I'd much rather see a redesign to the wound system to mimic the kinds of scenarios we saw in the movies/Series. Hell, the old SWG wound system would be better than what we have now. Ship loss should never even enter the discussion.
Lt. Commander
# 42
10-26-2010, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keppoch
We do not need T6 ships. That would invalidate all of the T5 ships people currently use and in some cases paid C-points for. T5 needs to remain the top tier.

-Keppoch
Completely agree....

....unless they add an option to update an older ship.
Lt. Commander
# 43
10-26-2010, 09:27 AM
Down the line we will need Tier 6 ships. You can only stretch content so long. I agree though that tier 6 should not come for a while.

Overall, I think tier 6 should be released with the romulan faction which is a year away. This allows players who switch to the romulan faction to be on equal footing gear wise like federation or klingon players, and they would only have the leveling disadvantage. That is my opinion on Tier 6.

Also realize that if Tier 6 would be released a year from now then we would have had tier 5 for almost 2 years. I think that is long enough to spend at one level.

C-store ships should either be upgraded or give a discounted price to tier 6 C-store ships. One could argue that even 1 year of a ships it getting some moneys worth out of it, but what do I know.
Lt. Commander
# 44
10-26-2010, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Nothing certain yet - but we've been taking a close look at PotBS's ship crafting/loss mechanics as a possibility for top tier ships in the future. It certainly comes up frequently in discussions.
This got my attention,

Is there any RvR kind of game being finally planned for STO? Or are you thinking of a Crafting/Loss system strictly within the context of the PVE/Battleground environment STO has now.

If it is the first this could have merit.

If it is the latter, then I will agree with many here in saying no to the Loss mechanics.

It would not be a good decision to implement Loss mechanics just to justify the implementation/existence of a Crafting system, and there are many approaches to Loss anyways (SWG had the greatest Crafting system and its Player economy worked, with only PVE decay Items and Consumables).

A better crafting system can exist in STO without resorting to loss mechanics. I am all for "Player Housing" (Starbases, Yards, Planetary Settlements etc).

As for POTBS, I play it, played it, beta tested it (Closed and open). It is not without its flaws, while the systems are good I feel these are not being utilized always in the most fun way, like Manufacturing Costs (in other words Crafting Fees).

SWG and EVE both do not have extensive Manufacturing Costs, and no costs in gathering basic materials like POTBS (and since gathering basic materials in POTBS is covered under the "Manufacturing" blanket).

This means that in SWG if I want to produce something I can put time in to do it and I can do it without other constraints. If I am not the crafting type I can go PVE to get Currency and then buy what I need from a Crafter. It gives meaning to both activities gives purpose to both players.

In POTBS, you have to PVE in order to be able to Produce, and Thus it creates a very inorganic kind of dynamic, where, everyone has to PVE anyways, so almost no one is actually interested in Producing for Someone else, and almost everyone produces for themselves.

Where SWG and EVE have very active Markets and Trade and people engaging in the social activity that is an Economy, in POTBS the feeling of the market and the economy is barren in comparison.

So yes by all means, take a look at some of its mechanics it has many good ones, but please do not emulate the same implementation.

Cheers!

PS: Oh yeah, Cryptic will also have to kill that C-Store of theirs, Every time I see some new "Ship Costume" come out, my stomach turns and I am pushed away from the game...and when I get the urge to play a bit and I see these costumes in the game it reminds me the store and I log off again.
Lt. Commander
# 45
10-26-2010, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by claydermunch View Post
I would like to add that forcing crafting on people is also a bad idea. and since any meaningful crafting is indeed forced upon the whole population by default.....
right. Let's just not add any meaningful game mechanics/content to the game because people might not want to bother to do it .
Lt. Commander
# 46
10-26-2010, 06:17 PM
Having a ship market on the exchange would be cool too.
Lt. Commander
# 47
10-27-2010, 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClingingMars View Post
right. Let's just not add any meaningful game mechanics/content to the game because people might not want to bother to do it .
yes. lets indeed not cater to that.
Lt. Commander
# 48
10-27-2010, 06:03 AM
I think that a strong player crafting system is very meaningful . Players can participate in the system by creating and purchasing goods. This creates yet another facet of immersion that the game could use.

However, I don't see why crafting should include loss of said goods if the unfortunate should occur. I don't see this as meaningful since the system would apparently only affect goods created by players and not those made available through previous avenues. This seems like a poor idea all around.

I'd MUCH rather see a comprehensive ship system/battle damage component that ties into the proposed player crafted goods system that affects all ships/items and not just a subset and does not include loss of ships/items/boffs. Hard-core metrics really don't have a place in this game.
Lt. Commander
# 49
10-27-2010, 06:35 AM
Perhaps instead of outright ship construction (or maybe as well as, I admit, I like that idea) hows about having some kind of ship modification system? Kind of like Voyager and the borg tech the crew fitted.
Lt. Commander
# 50
10-27-2010, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort1980 View Post
Perhaps instead of outright ship construction (or maybe as well as, I admit, I like that idea) hows about having some kind of ship modification system? Kind of like Voyager and the borg tech the crew fitted.
That'd be awesome.