Career Officer
# 1 Placing ships in space dock?
04-09-2013, 05:49 AM
Struggling to get a ship inside the space docks you see at Utopia Planetia. I added the dock, added the ship, grid is off. The ship ends up either just under the dock or embedded in the top, can't get it in the middle. Is this a foundry limitation or have I missed something here?

Thanks

FLTCDR SRS FLEETS - S.R.S. - S.R.S. ACADEMY - SRS GUARDIANS - SRS KDF
Join Us www.srs-fleet.net/html/join_srs.html
Captain
# 2
04-09-2013, 06:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post
Struggling to get a ship inside the space docks you see at Utopia Planetia. I added the dock, added the ship, grid is off. The ship ends up either just under the dock or embedded in the top, can't get it in the middle. Is this a foundry limitation or have I missed something here?

Thanks
I take it you're altering the Y coordinates of the ship and dock respectively?

I did notice an inability to make adjustments lower than 1 (for example, changing 31.1 to 31.8), which may explain why you're having trouble placing them.

Just keep trying, it HAS to fit eventually. I think.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, lovely, I can't even requote the Douglas Adams quote I used to have here I WANT IT BACK!!!!
Dalo Lorn
DaloLorn, StarCraft 2 Roleplayer and proud of it.
Career Officer
# 3
04-09-2013, 06:10 AM
Yes the Y coordinates. No matter what I try, raising the dock, lowering the ship, same result. This works on the ground map, for example I needed to lower a plant pot that was hovering 0.2m above the floor, worked great but not in space. When I think back at other foundry missions those docks are normally empty so perhaps this is why?

Captain
# 4
04-09-2013, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post
Yes the Y coordinates. No matter what I try, raising the dock, lowering the ship, same result. This works on the ground map, for example I needed to lower a plant pot that was hovering 0.2m above the floor, worked great but not in space. When I think back at other foundry missions those docks are normally empty so perhaps this is why?
Like I said, if you're already making the adjustments as small as the editor will let you, you're doomed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, lovely, I can't even requote the Douglas Adams quote I used to have here I WANT IT BACK!!!!
Dalo Lorn
DaloLorn, StarCraft 2 Roleplayer and proud of it.
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
04-09-2013, 06:48 AM
Actually, assuming that this hasnt been changed, there is a way to get it to work 'right'. You will have probably already discovered that collision kicks in and either your ship ends up too high in dock, or too low, there isnt anything you can do about that normally.

The workaround involves (again assuming it works still) having the the state of the dock go from hidden to visible after you hit a reach marker. if you have the player show up far enough away, you can trigger this before they see your 'deception'
Career Officer
# 6
04-09-2013, 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castsbugc View Post
Actually, assuming that this hasnt been changed, there is a way to get it to work 'right'. You will have probably already discovered that collision kicks in and either your ship ends up too high in dock, or too low, there isnt anything you can do about that normally.

The workaround involves (again assuming it works still) having the the state of the dock go from hidden to visible after you hit a reach marker. if you have the player show up far enough away, you can trigger this before they see your 'deception'
Wow would never have thought of that, will give it a try, thanks.

Captain
# 7
04-09-2013, 07:42 AM
Set the drydock to spawn after the ships do and you'll be good.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Survivor of Romulus
# 8
04-09-2013, 01:29 PM
I made a little video tutorial on how to do this:

http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/sto...ide-a-drydock/
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Career Officer
# 9
04-09-2013, 11:52 PM
Just occurred to me what would be a very nice function for the Foundry? If certain objects had an auto-object placement system.

For example, the above shipyard. Right now we would have to fiddle using Drogyn's trick to get it to fit in. But with my placement system proposal, you simply drag a ship NPC to the shipyard and it automatically put it in the proper location, all 3 axis locations plus changing the direction to match.

Maybe it could go even further, like with tables, there would be a limit of 10 small items you could put on the table. You simply drag the object to the window, the system automatically places it and you don't have to fiddle with having to manually go in and out of the editor. Like keeping that bottle on the table or that martini glass disappearing on you.
Career Officer
# 10
04-10-2013, 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
I made a little video tutorial on how to do this:

http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/sto...ide-a-drydock/
Thanks everyone and especially drogyn who went to the trouble of making a short video showing this, really do appreciate the effort there big thanks