Lt. Commander
# 111
11-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TauNeutrino
That is not currently possible. However, that is a feature we will consider when we extend dialogues to add a branching structure. Currently dialogues, like missions, are completely linear.
Branching is an _absolute_ must in my opinion. Preferably coupled with "hard" failures, but that might not be strictly necessary. If you can just branch and tell the player he failed in regular mission text that might be enough, even if the player still gets a mission completed report in other places.
Lt. Commander
# 112
11-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherfungus View Post
I would like to thank the developer for those answers :p
and made another list of questions............lol

When we play a mission, there is a stylized fade in with the mission title at the beginning, can we do that ?
There is a boilerplate warp-in or beam-in animation that will happen automatically. It's not customizable at the moment.

Quote:
It was mensioned that we can link certain mission events to current maps...instruct a player to contact
so and so on DS9...can you elaborate on that ?
Basically, most objectives that you can have happen on custom maps (talk to a contact, interact with an object, reach a location) you can also have happen on existing maps. You are restricted obviously to objects we've placed and exposed to the Foundry, and no player will see the changes unless they have your mission. Players can then complete the mission in the normal shared instance of those maps - Earth Spacedock, DS9, etc. Klingon social hubs will be included as well for players of that faction.

Quote:
As per an earlier question, a lot of writers would like to be able to place forcefields...similar to tutorial.
Then we can allow players to see what is in a room without letting them in it.
Those would just be more detail objects in our object library. If they're not there now, I'm pretty sure we'll be adding them soon as it's a question I hear often.

Quote:
How will ship interor maps be constructed ? Will we just have templates or will we have pieces
we can connect together?
At this time only pre-built interiors can be used. Fully customizable interiors will come sometime in the year following launch.

Quote:
How many exterior building placeables will we have? Any chance to have Star Fleet style buildings?
There are a fair number of buildings you can place, including a selection of Federation buildings.

Quote:
As cryptic adds more missions, will they share new placeable they create? Immediately ? or lump
them up and periodically add them as a group. ?
I don't think we have a firm plan for how new assets will be rolled out. There is no reason not to expose any content that is suitable, except for the work involved in tagging it with names and descriptions so authors can find it.

Quote:
Will we, as writters, have at least one dedicated developer that we can communicate with concerning
foundry issues and content requests?
There are several developers involved in the forums and engaging with testers. There will always be a place on the forum to discuss bugs and feature requests, and I make a point of reading the forums and checking my PM's

Quote:
Can we overlap non-interactive placeables ? basically, if I wanted a wider building on the asteroid,
could I place two overlaping buildings to make it look like one larger building ?
There are currently no restrictions on object placement. You will be able to do what some of us affectionately call "cobbling", to create new objects out of existing ones. Don't abuse the privilege!

Quote:
One last one for this bunch..Will we have some controll to scale the size of objects ? mainly space objects
and or enemy space ships? need a big borg cube, just double its size.
No. We have objects of various sizes, and they will be used as-is. You can't place buildings in space, or do certain other crazy nonsensical things. The one exception may someday be planets/rings.
Lt. Commander
# 113
11-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Basically, most objectives that you can have happen on custom maps (talk to a contact, interact with an object, reach a location) you can also have happen on existing maps. You are restricted obviously to objects we've placed and exposed to the Foundry, and no player will see the changes unless they have your mission. Players can then complete the mission in the normal shared instance of those maps - Earth Spacedock, DS9, etc. Klingon social hubs will be included as well for players of that faction.
Can we have locked versions of the social maps? i.e. A version of the DS9 map that we can set to be deserted with no NPCs?
Lt. Commander
# 114
11-12-2010, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlo
Just one quick question I haven't seen asked..

What kind of scripting language does the Foundry use, if any, and can we get a guide to it?
There is no scripting language as yet. Our goal is to do as much as we can with visual interfaces, to lower the barrier to entry for those who don't know how to write code. There is a lot that can be done (branching objectives, branching dialogue, triggers) without any scripting.

Someday, a long way down the road, we might introduce a scripting language for NPC behaviors, but even then it would be less of a scripting language and more of an expression language to define complex states.

Reiterating, this is not a modding tool, this is a framework for writing your own stories within the context and methodology of the rest of the game, and we're building it as such.
Lt. Commander
# 115
11-12-2010, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeathenStorm View Post
Can we have locked versions of the social maps? i.e. A version of the DS9 map that we can set to be deserted with no NPCs?
Yes, there should be pre-built versions of the social maps that you can populate yourself. This is different from placing objectives on the actual social maps in that a player with your mission will have to enter an instance of DS9 just for their team that you've customized, whereas objectives in the open world don't require changing instances.
Lt. Commander
# 116
11-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Will we be able to copy and paste a map we "created"? Example, I choose an outdoor map, choose its skyscape and lighting, and then place a bunch of buildings to create a city. Will I then be able to copy that and then edit it separately, essentially branching my "build"? This could be useful for a lot of situations. For instance, I create a city map. During the course the story, the player leaves the map to do something else, and the city is bombarded from orbit. I can then send players back to a version of that map where I have altered all the buildings to look toppled and wrecked. Being able to load a copy of the map and then edit it would be useful in creating scenarios like this. Sorry if I'm not clear, I'm very tired.

Second question, are there models in the editor that are "destroyed" objects, like bombed out buildings, wrecked sidewalks, etcetera?

Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 117
11-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasensal
Will we be able to copy and paste a map we "created"? Example, I choose an outdoor map, choose its skyscape and lighting, and then place a bunch of buildings to create a city. Will I then be able to copy that and then edit it separately, essentially branching my "build"? This could be useful for a lot of situations. For instance, I create a city map. During the course the story, the player leaves the map to do something else, and the city is bombarded from orbit. I can then send players back to a version of that map where I have altered all the buildings to look toppled and wrecked. Being able to load a copy of the map and then edit it would be useful in creating scenarios like this. Sorry if I'm not clear, I'm very tired.

Second question, are there models in the editor that are "destroyed" objects, like bombed out buildings, wrecked sidewalks, etcetera?

Thanks.
Copy/paste will not be in the first release. It's definitely on the to do list.

And yes, there are "destroyed" versions of buildings. There are also effects like fire and smoke that you can place on any object. That should give you some of the effect you're looking for.
Lt. Commander
# 118
11-12-2010, 12:18 PM
Thanks for keeping up as best you can, Tau. We know you must be busy and I will try to put all of my questions in this thread from now on.

Will we be able to customize the lighting of interiors? This ties into my next question:

Can we place objects in an environment to cast shadows and simulate damage/destruction, i.e. fires, collapsed bulkheads, etc.?

Will we be able to change the orientation on the map so as to simulate a shift in gravity?

Can we change the color palette on maps, or will the color be limited to what the levels were designed for? If so, will the foundry be updated regularly with color schemes that release with Featured Episodes?
Lt. Commander
# 119
11-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Yes, there should be pre-built versions of the social maps that you can populate yourself. This is different from placing objectives on the actual social maps in that a player with your mission will have to enter an instance of DS9 just for their team that you've customized, whereas objectives in the open world don't require changing instances.
Excellent! Thanks for the confirmation!

Quote:
Copy/paste will not be in the first release. It's definitely on the to do list.
Does this also mean we cannot Import or Export our creations to and from the editor?
Lt. Commander
# 120
11-12-2010, 12:52 PM
I love the answers, your super TauNeutrino

ok, some more ..paricular questions

Can we create a faction ? As in....we call the nuknuk's faction 1 and the gogo's faction 2...they hate each
but there are some federation folks there - Fed faction
ok, if faction 1 meets faction 2, they fight but both leave the Fed faction alone...as well as the players.
This way we can control what mobs will agro on what.

When certain NPCs are flagged for writer use 'in public maps' are these NPC's kinda out of the way
so they will not cause crowding problems ?

On the same line...many writer want to go rpg ..vs ..ease of use. Basically they want the player
to walk to the transporter to beam in and out. A few major public areas lack a transporter pad.
SB1 comes to mind.....in all of the interior sets we can work with, will there be a generic transporter
room that can be tagged to a public map door....so in effect, the player of our adventure could use it?

Will we have access to STO style ship interiors?

kinda a short list but fairly complicated questions
again thxs for all the info