Lt. Commander
Quote:
A: Members of the community can sign up as reviewers. All published community authored episodes need to be reviewed by the reviewers and given the okay before the rest of the community sees the content. If any questionable content makes it through the review process, players may report it for review.
And one more no for good measure.

This filtering method is totally unacceptable. There is no way, shape or form that I'm going to put weeks worth of research and creative energy into something that can get nay-sayed by a bunch of wannabe critics and over zealous Trekkies. This kind of review process is every type of wrong that you could possibly dream up.

I know for a fact that my missions will be awesome. I know this because I've spent over twenty years designing adventures for pen and paper roleplaying games and have even had some published. I know this because I put way too much effort into making them as good as they can possibly be. But I refuse to be judged by a bunch of amateur egotistical Star Trek snobs. I don't even care that I have a good chance of my missions getting approved. I do care that they can be shot down by a totally arbitrary body made up of illiterate nobodies with delusions of grandeur and no actual skill or objectiveness whatsoever.

If my missions get judged by the community in a star rating system as being crap, that I could accept. But to have to be approved by a completely random selection of unwashed, uneducated, unemployable Internet tough guys, ****es me the Hell off.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-26-2010, 03:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekvar
And one more no for good measure.

This filtering method is totally unacceptable. There is no way, shape or form that I'm going to put weeks worth of research and creative energy into something that can get nay-sayed by a bunch of wannabe critics and over zealous Trekkies. This kind of review process is every type of wrong that you could possibly dream up.

I know for a fact that my missions will be awesome. I know this because I've spent over twenty years designing adventures for pen and paper roleplaying games and have even had some published. I know this because I put way too much effort into making them as good as they can possibly be. But I refuse to be judged by a bunch of amateur egotistical Star Trek snobs. I don't even care that I have a good chance of my missions getting approved. I do care that they can be shot down by a totally arbitrary body made up of illiterate nobodies with delusions of grandeur and no actual skill or objectiveness whatsoever.

If my missions get judged by the community in a star rating system as being crap, that I could accept. But to have to be approved by a completely random selection of unwashed, uneducated, unemployable Internet tough guys, ****es me the Hell off.
We love you too! Kisses!
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-26-2010, 03:25 AM
so how else do you want people to screen out the bad, buggy, vulgar missions?

if your missions are going to be so awesome then you will get awesome marks.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-26-2010, 03:29 AM
If you remotely care about UGC, then you'll voice your concerns against this review process. It is the antithesis of what a UGC should be about and will produce nothing but crap content that never rises above mediocre.

Consider that anyone with any talent whatsoever will now look at this process and realise that all their hard work and creative energy will mean nothing because it can be waylaid by a group of random people who have no skill, talent, training, knowledge or objectivity in regards to reviewing content.

This is the equivalent of saying to Stephen King or George R.R. Martin that the only way they can get a book published is if five random people picked off the street read their book and approve it. Do you seriously think either author would even bother to write anything if this was the process involved?

This will become little more than a popularity contest controlled by cliques within the MMO itself. Nothing about this can lead to anything good. Get rid of this review system or I can assure you that UGC missions will never be anything other than meh.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-26-2010, 03:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo

They will get voted as 1 star and sink to the bottom of the pile. And if they're vulgar, they'll get reported and deleted.

The last thing you need is a review process chaired by unskilled nobodies with personal agendas and zero objectivity.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-26-2010, 03:32 AM
I can tell you right now that your angsty holier than thou art attitude will not get people to agree with you, even if they really do.

If YOU really care about the system, you'll moderate your tone and try to make constructive points instead of spitting venom. The alternative is to be torn apart by trolls, and whatever message you think you have will be lost in the flames.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-26-2010, 03:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo

I think if the panel maintains a rule of subjectivity and holds opinions in reserve, this could work. Yet guidelines will have to be set. I can see where this could also hinder creativity as well. This would be the chief complaint i reckon. How and where do you draw the line from a mission concieved outside the box, and a mission that just plain stinks?

If the person that published it likes it, and it's not vulgar or a farm fest.....whats the difference?

I think that is where the OP is going with this. To hinder ones intellectual freedom of creative stride in a game that the player stands on equal footing with the rest....is illogical.

Again I guess we'll just have to see where the Devs are heading with this.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-26-2010, 03:49 AM
there seams to be some confusion of what the panel is

every single person in this game can join the panel. the community IS the panel.

to join you have to agree that you will be playing some untested potentially very bad missions. every single person can play any UGC mission they like. even if something gets one star you can still test it yourself. the fact a mission gets one star suggests that its not good enough or there is a problem with it to begin with.

the good ones that are not buggy and get decent marks will then join the contact list so that anyone can play it even if you have not agreed to test them.

If the OP makes a mission and its great and he advertises it in game, to his fleet on the forums, then every single person who agrees to test can play it and rate it. as long as its not horrible buggy or vulgar then it will get through.

the mission is still there available for everybody who wants to play it. his rights to have this mission available to everybody are not affected.

If a mission gets played by 2000 or 10000 people and its gets a bad score then it does not deserve to go into the game proper. if its ok then it will pass.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-26-2010, 03:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekvar
They will get voted as 1 star and sink to the bottom of the pile. And if they're vulgar, they'll get reported and deleted.

The last thing you need is a review process chaired by unskilled nobodies with personal agendas and zero objectivity.
given that under the proposal you'll have the right to vote on mission content, in the same way as anyone else, i would like to congradulate you on calling yourself an "unskilled nobody" etc etc

talk about over dramatisation
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-26-2010, 03:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castogere View Post
I think if the panel maintains a rule of subjectivity and holds opinions in reserve, this could work.
now that was funny.

as much as i dislike agreeing with people, i think the OP is right, despite his harsh tone.
Closed Thread