Lt. Commander
# 21
10-26-2010, 05:57 AM
There is no panel or council or anything like that, OP. Your fears are misplaced. When Cryptic talks about reviewers, they are talking about EVERYONE who clicks a "You may be offended by this mission" disclaimer and plays your well-crafted mission, ranks it, and helps it get noticed to the point that a remote contact may recommend it to all players.

It goes through steps:

1. You make the mission
2. You promote your mission on these forums, starbase ugc, the wiki, etc so that people know it's out there.
3. Anyone who want to play new ugc missions (as "reviewers) plays and rates the mission.
4. If it gets high ratings, it may show up as a semi-official mission in a remote contact in the game for all players.

As soon as you publish your mission, anyone can play it. If they know how to search for it, and if they have clicked a disclaimer, then they can play your mission.
Lt. Commander
# 22
10-26-2010, 06:02 AM
I can understand the OP's fears and hesitation on this proposed "evalutation" system because there will be those who purposely flame,deny or otherwise veto some missions based strictly on thier own dislike of the creator, its use or non-use of canon ideas and just plain meanness.
This is going to be anything but smooth sailing, I feel. Maybe a petition for re-evaluation needs to be an option is someone feels their "creation" has been purposely flamed.
Lt. Commander
# 23
10-26-2010, 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
I can understand the OP's fears and hesitation on this proposed "evalutation" system because there will be those who purposely flame,deny or otherwise veto some missions based strictly on thier own dislike of the creator, its use or non-use of canon ideas and just plain meanness.
This is going to be anything but smooth sailing, I feel. Maybe a petition for re-evaluation needs to be an option is someone feels their "creation" has been purposely flamed.
Very valid point view askewed, this is what i was training on as well. But having played other MMO's with UGC, the very notion of this whole idea leaves a burning sense in my nostrils and the nostrils of others who have been burnt with MMO gameplay featuring this type of venue.

While i like the idea and want to see it prosper...The OP has some valid points of dissention. But I am willing to try anything once, even if its a variation of the same thing.
Lt. Commander
# 24
10-26-2010, 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranman1988 View Post
You can't generalize everyone as unskilled, untalented, biased hacks.
Yes I can.

The overwhelming majority of players of this game will not have degrees in professional writing or literature or script writing or even a basic understanding of story structure. Therefore a preponderance of those who will judge the worth of a mission for 'approval' will be doing so entirely based on opinion and their own prejudices. There will be close to zero objective evaluation based on any relevant standards of review or basis of knowledge.

This is akin to walking into a random bar and asking five completely random strangers to judge whether a script gets made into a movie or not. Do you believe for even a second that movies like Taxi Driver would ever have been made if they had to be vetted through this sort of process?

Again, I have no problem with the wider community giving their opinions on whether or not they like or dislike my missions. And that can be done through the star rating system. But having a minority (and really, how many people are actually going to click that EULA and review content? Remember, the world isn't made up of obsessive nerds and neither is the population of this game) of people with no objective evaluation skills or knowledge in what makes a story/mission good judge whether it gets passed on to the wider audience? That's just ridiculous.
Lt. Commander
# 25
10-26-2010, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekvar
Yes I can.

The overwhelming majority of players of this game will not have degrees in professional writing or literature or script writing or even a basic understanding of story structure. Therefore a preponderance of those who will judge the worth of a mission for 'approval' will be doing so entirely based on opinion and their own prejudices. There will be close to zero objective evaluation based on any relevant standards of review or basis of knowledge.

This is akin to walking into a random bar and asking five completely random strangers to judge whether a script gets made into a movie or not. Do you believe for even a second that movies like Taxi Driver would ever have been made if they had to be vetted through this sort of process?

Again, I have no problem with the wider community giving their opinions on whether or not they like or dislike my missions. And that can be done through the star rating system. But having a minority (and really, how many people are actually going to click that EULA and review content? Remember, the world isn't made up of obsessive nerds and neither is the population of this game) of people with no objective evaluation skills or knowledge in what makes a story/mission good judge whether it gets passed on to the wider audience? That's just ridiculous.
ive never made a 100 million dollar film before but i can watch one and give an honest unbiased opinion of it.

and again this to to weed out unsuitable content not the quality of the mission.

edit - this is not the same thing as giving someone the script to Taxi Driver and asking if it should be made. your mission is made, and available in game for anyone to see. only once it passes a review to test for really offensive content and mission breaking bugs can it then go on so everybody regardless of EULA. you can make the most boring mission in the world and it can still get through as long as there are no major issues with it.
Lt. Commander
# 26
10-26-2010, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Yes I can.

Degrees mean nothing, especially not degrees in writing/lit, when it comes to judging a gaming experience. This is a totally different medium that has its own unique challenges to making something fun and entertaining. Moreover, if you can't please a handful of introductory people enough to not flag your mission then I seriously doubt you'll make something the community as a whole will enjoy.

Quote:
They do this kind of thing. It's called polling. They just tend to stick to concepts rather than full on scripts.

Quote:
So wait...the community as a whole has objective evaluation skills but the people who are actively engaged in making content for the community are not going to be objective? If anything, the people who are taking time to make the UGC missions are going to be the ones with the advanced skills in writing, scripting, modeling, and level design who know the difference between a buggy mess and an excellent gaming experience.
Lt. Commander
# 27
10-26-2010, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TauNeutrino
In answer to the question about reviews, we intend to always allow you as the author to share your published content with friends, regardless of whether it's been reviewed. I believe that searching for the mission specifically by author or by name will return the complete list, indicating which ones have not been reviewed.

We aim to make the publishing and sharing process as easy as possible between friends; our main concern with this system is to keep inappropriate and broken content from being advertised to players unless they actively opt in to review.
This is another post that should help.

anyone can opt in to review something but only the inappropriate stuff is blocked so that people who have not signed the EULA dont get bad missions.

they can however at any time still go back and find any mission by manually searching. the quality of the actual mission is not what will stop it getting past the review stage, only the actual mission and if its completable and suitable.

its also my understanding that the rating system stays in affect even when it goes to everybody so you can keep rating them even past that initial review stage, so if a mission is a true five star mission the general public will review it that way. By the end you should have tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of reviews showing the true score of the mission.
Lt. Commander
# 28
10-26-2010, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
I still disagree, everything in media gets reviewed, from music to games to films. everything suffers from people imposing their opinion on it.
If you think he's talking about "reviewing" missions, then you have completely missed the point of this post. He's talking about "approving" missions, not "reviewing" them. Those are two different things.
Lt. Commander
# 29
10-26-2010, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotD
They do this kind of thing. It's called polling. They just tend to stick to concepts rather than full on scripts.
its also called the studio, there are millions of scripts that never make it past a bunch of guys in suits.
Lt. Commander
# 30
10-26-2010, 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotD
So wait...the community as a whole has objective evaluation skills but the people who are actively engaged in making content for the community are not going to be objective?
This is an excellent example of what I'm talking about. You can't even comprehend the sentence you're replying to.
Closed Thread