Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
Basically the KDF is a small, unfinished and undernourished community. It is never going to be what the Feds are and it is never going to be 'completed'. What is terrible for KDF players is trying to level in those miserable expanses with their bugged missions and their repetetiveness. The only thing that makes levelling palatable is PvP - and their aint enough people active for that. What we need are more low level guys clammouring to get some PvP action to feed the die-hards daring to level a second KDF.

Well the answer is simple. Offer KDF as F2P up to a tier 4. Single character account. Klingons race only.

This would suitably populate the lower levels with 'moster play'. These guys having little else to do unless they pay for a subscription/expansion pack. You could even bill them for adventure packs (weeklies) if you wanted to. Bill em for ship tokens and rank promotions etc. In short though, it would greatly enhance the KDf population, which we so earnestly need. We would see a lot more house battles and have a lot of new blood coming into the game. Don't call it monster play, of course, call it 'raider play'. Give em the same basic content we had 6 months ago plus the new KDF only missions we got recently. Give em a few crpti points so they can choose one of the weeklies (then in the store) so they can see what teh real game is like.

When a new faction comes around and has almost no PvE content, switch over from KDF F2P and make it Romulan/Cardassian/Horta. Don't remove the old accounts of course just use it for population management with new ones.

Let them taste the game, but not eat it. Give them experience of soem of the better featues bt leave them hungry. Most of all - give us some more people levelling up with an appetite for PvP!
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-26-2010, 05:54 PM
If there's almost no PvE or PvP to help them level what makes you think they'll want to even play for free?
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-26-2010, 08:08 PM
my philosophy was to wait ill a few weekly episodes to be completed so that I could just play them. I am actively leveling one Klingon, but my second one I probably only play weekly episodes with till more content comes out. At this rate, might as well wait till UGC before you see an influx to the Klingon side. Then again, not many people like Klingons, and the only reason people play federation to begin with is becasue that's the side we grew up watching from.

Even the Romulan faction, when released will never have the same numbers as the federation.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Weeklies are the lifeblood of the KDF. Once we hit series 4 I might just pay for another character slot and start levlling another Klingon.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-27-2010, 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Restless.Kaiser
Weeklies are the lifeblood of the KDF. Once we hit series 4 I might just pay for another character slot and start levlling another Klingon.
Indeed, my Klingon got half a rank from season 1...so I figure once we hit season 5-6 leveling a Klingon will amount to about 50% PvE. This is a rough guess of course, and if each season is 5 episodes, with one week in between, we can expect a season 6 finale around 14 May.....which means I can start my second Klingon in June
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-27-2010, 12:51 PM
I am nearly General on my Orion. My Klingon I am holding off leveling until we get more content. Only so much exploration grinds I can handle.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-27-2010, 01:13 PM
The reality is that the kind of Free to Play system Cryptic is using for CO is designed to give people a taste of the game in hopes they will spend more money on it, in the form of various items in the C-Store or in spending money on "memberships".

Making the KDF free to play would not entice anyone to pay more money to cryptic, there is nothing worth buying in the C-store as of right now and the content level is so minimal that to charge for anything currently in the game they would be insane.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-27-2010, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrangian View Post
The reality is that the kind of Free to Play system Cryptic is using for CO is designed to give people a taste of the game in hopes they will spend more money on it, in the form of various items in the C-Store or in spending money on "memberships".

Making the KDF free to play would not entice anyone to pay more money to cryptic, there is nothing worth buying in the C-store as of right now and the content level is so minimal that to charge for anything currently in the game they would be insane.
You misunderstand. It is not about making money nearly so much as it is about stopping them from losing money. The KDF is in a dire situation for want of players. People will give up and play somethingelse. An intake of F2P people will give them people to interract with and sustain population levels. This would be a handy comfort blanket until the KDF is more fleshed out. At which point these items of flesh are pareclled out to non-subscribers in the C-Store much like adventure packs on other games.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-27-2010, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Restless.Kaiser
You misunderstand. It is not about making money nearly so much as it is about stopping them from losing money. The KDF is in a dire situation for want of players. People will give up and play somethingelse. An intake of F2P people will give them people to interract with and sustain population levels. This would be a handy comfort blanket until the KDF is more fleshed out. At which point these items of flesh are pareclled out to non-subscribers in the C-Store much like adventure packs on other games.
Making the KDF free to play will neither increase the KDF player base nor will it stop Cryptic from losing money. The money lost from the horrendous state of the KDF was lost about a month after launch and most of those customers will not be coming back, so foul was the stench left in their nostrils.

The point of going Free to play is not to sustain populations, it is an enticement deal, it might work if STO went free to play as a whole, but there is nothing to entice people to play the KDF, even if you make it free. Let alone to entice them to spend money on the KDF.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-27-2010, 02:14 PM
Actually, the KDF does not need more players, it needs more Feds willing to play PvP.