Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
10-26-2010, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
[Insert your worst case scenario here]
I certainly hope I don't encounter Tuvok's "Worst Case Scenario"
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
10-26-2010, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
Any player can sign up to review newly published community authored missions.

The reason we require a sign up, and have a separate EULA for this is because we believe that since STO is a family game, and inevitably someone will create content which is inappropriate, we need to provide a filter of sorts to be able to catch this sort of material.

By asking for people who are not concerned about coming across this content, but whom understand why someone's episode about [Insert your worst case scenario here] isn't healthy for the game, we can catch a large amount of this content before it is seen by those who would rather not be subjected to unvetted material.

Thanks,

Stormshade
I dont get it: why not just require EVERYONE who uses UGC to agree to the EULA? That way you completely protect yourselves, and you completely avoid this whole debate?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
10-26-2010, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenaut
How is the community split into "reviewers" and "non-reviewers" if anyone can sign up to be a reviewer?

I'm not trolling, I'm just asking for some clarification of your point of view.

thanks in advance.
You're right, they're not. BUT, the way this was announced, they have been perceived to be. And continuing to talk about having people sign up to be reviewers isn't helping. Sure, anyone can sign up, but if you don't, you're not going to have quite the same UGC experience. Just make everyone sign a special UGC EULA, and be done with it.

Edit: Oh hey Grand Nagus. Great minds, eh, wot? Say no more? Wink wink nudge nudge?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
10-26-2010, 03:57 PM
I made my thoughts on this clear in another thread. At least I know it's not a Player Council now in the strictest sense. But you still have a segment of players with more authority than others.

At this point I can't make any more judgments because there are too many unknowns:
  1. Unless Reviewers cannot choose which missions they review, you'll have people that will only review their friends or fleet's missions (Passed and 5 Star Rated automatically because they are friends).
  2. Reviewing is like beta testing which is a job. You may have too much work and too few workers.
  3. Mission Authors will be trying to flag Reviewers down so their mission can get posted, causing all sorts of SPAM on chat channels.
  4. People will sign up to be a Reviewer just so they *CAN* play objectionable content instead of doing their assigned tasks.
  5. If the mission author is not anonymous, Reviewers may deny missions based on personal grudges. Cartels of Reviewers could be formed just to cause abuse.
  6. Canonist Cartels could be formed just to deny any content that does not fit into their view of a canon Star Trek universe.
  7. If the people who reviewed and abused your missions are anonymous, can they be reported?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
10-26-2010, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClingingMars View Post
I certainly hope I don't encounter Tuvok's "Worst Case Scenario"
Uh-oh. Ironically, I plan on trying to recreate that episode, heh. (Along with my other favorite VOY and ENT episodes)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
10-26-2010, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshade
Was a new thread for this really needed? I didn't think so.
LOL! The same is true of most of the threads here, but ok....
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
10-26-2010, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I dont get it: why not just require EVERYONE who uses UGC to agree to the EULA? That way you completely protect yourselves, and you completely avoid this whole debate?
because they want it to remain at a T rating and a family game.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
10-26-2010, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractal_Eye
Uh-oh. Ironically, I plan on trying to recreate that episode, heh. (Along with my other favorite VOY and ENT episodes)
it was a good episode, but I'd rather my XO NOT try to take over the ship! XD
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
10-26-2010, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClingingMars View Post
because they want it to remain at a T rating and a family game.
Exactly. The point of approval is to proofread, not to review qualitatively. You're looking for bugs that make the mission non-completable, profanity, trademark infringement, etc.

This is a task which players under 18 and in some countries may not be allowed to do, hence the separate EULA. Also, it's likely a privilege that can be taken away without banning someone from the game or otherwise playing and authoring UGC.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
10-26-2010, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I dont get it: why not just require EVERYONE who uses UGC to agree to the EULA? That way you completely protect yourselves, and you completely avoid this whole debate?
What if someone wishes to play UGC content, but would not for risk of coming across content which is inappropriate? Should they simply not be allowed to play through other community member's episodes for fear of coming across something which should have been caught be people who review content?
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:21 PM.