Lt. Commander
http://champions-online.com/f2p_faq

Seeing that your other game is going f2p, the question becomes one of not if, but when Star Trek also goes that route.

As a lifetime member I guess nothing changes for me if this game goes free, but I do think it is time for the devs to be frank and open about the time frame for this to hit our game as well.

Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-26-2010, 07:46 AM
They devs have said several times that there's no plan for STO to go F2P at this time.

CO has a lot less subscribers then STO, and no license/royalty fee. That makes it much easier to test the hybrid F2P model there. If the economy continues to stay slow, though, I expect STO to shift to the hybrid model within a year too. It's not just Cryptic. A lot of MMO publishers are discussing the hybrid model. The vanity/hobby industry is always the hardest hit during bad economic periods.

There's also a thread about this in STO discussion if you want to see what others are saying about it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-26-2010, 08:05 AM
It should also be noted that the higher ups usually give a story to tell to the public while keeping the reality a carefully guarded secret.

Often the employees don't know the answer any more then we do and are told to answer with "Rumor". Often they don't know the real answer until just a few weeks before it goes live (more or less); so it's entirely possible that the previous answer given is the only answer they have to give us.

...for now.

Just roll with it, we'll know when it happens, just like they will.

Edit:: If you look at the Features Matrix You'll see that there is still a subscription model for the game. The F2P Matrix is very limited, and most importantly, LIfetime Members get Gold Status without paying the Gold Sub.

Overall a F2P model following this setup isn't that bad.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-26-2010, 08:19 AM
The other thing to keep in mind, is that unlike many other MMRPG Online games out there, STO is based on what is no doubt a very expensive IP license Trademarked and Copyright by CBS Studios Inc. (see the notice at the bottem of this Web page...) This by itself make F2P highly unlikely...
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-26-2010, 09:09 AM
In before the forums explode after people start hearing about CO going f2p.

STO going f2p would not bother me that much, based on the information I've read about CO going f2p. However, I am a lifetime subscriber... and I want to make sure my investment I made earlier in the year is going to pay off in the future of the game should it go to a f2p model.

I paid a lot of money early on because I trusted Cryptic would make a very high quality game in the future I would not have to pay a subscription fee for. I am expecting STO to age like wine as time goes on... and I am expecting to benefit from this financial decision I made. I am hoping Cryptic will be carefully observing what happens with CO's f2p beta, and I am hoping marketing will make very careful decisions in regards to the f2p business model if they plan on adapting it to their other games.

f2p can be a good thing for STO if handled appropriately. I am imploring the Cryptic team to take the utmost care in handling f2p appropriately for CO, and if and when the time comes for STO, this game too.

I cannot possibly stress enough that I and others who paid for lifetimes are still going to expect quality work from Cryptic for my investment, whether STO goes f2p or not.

In short, don't screw this up with CO. If you do, learn from your mistakes and if STO goes f2P... don't repeat the same mistakes.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-26-2010, 09:46 AM
I don't care as I'm a lifer.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-26-2010, 10:03 AM
Stormshade has asked us to go here to continue on this matter:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=185819
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-26-2010, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiverCHL01 View Post
http://champions-online.com/f2p_faq

Seeing that your other game is going f2p, the question becomes one of not if, but when Star Trek also goes that route.

As a lifetime member I guess nothing changes for me if this game goes free, but I do think it is time for the devs to be frank and open about the time frame for this to hit our game as well.

Thanks.
DSTAHL Posted to this issue in the main Forum Section: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=185819
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy.Otaku
The other thing to keep in mind, is that unlike many other MMRPG Online games out there, STO is based on what is no doubt a very expensive IP license Trademarked and Copyright by CBS Studios Inc. (see the notice at the bottem of this Web page...) This by itself make F2P highly unlikely...
It's largely a moot point anyway, isn't it? I mean, the lifers pay three hundred bucks up front and that's it, they never have to pay another subscription fee again. It's not like World of ******** where the majority of their income comes from people who pay the subscriptions.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-26-2010, 05:35 PM
i'm afriad if STO goes f2p that what little content that we get will shrivle up and die.

please finish the game before you make it f2p devs...

there will be no motivation to finish game content if there are no angry PAYING customers maoning and groaning on the forums...