Lt. Commander
# 11
10-26-2010, 09:48 PM
lol something tells me we will have a thread a week for awhile about STO going f2p just becasue CO did (and no surprise it did that game was a ghost town the last free weekend I played)
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-26-2010, 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiverCHL01 View Post
http://champions-online.com/f2p_faq

Seeing that your other game is going f2p, the question becomes one of not if, but when Star Trek also goes that route.

As a lifetime member I guess nothing changes for me if this game goes free, but I do think it is time for the devs to be frank and open about the time frame for this to hit our game as well.

Thanks.
In about another year, ie when the original lifers payments stop covering subscription time.
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-27-2010, 05:51 AM
When you pay the lifetime sub.

I did and it doesn't cost me anything to play the game anymore.

Basically, I reasoned that 18months of subbing to the game on a monthly basis would be equivalent to the lifetime sub, so why not just pay that figure and never have to worry about sub fees again?

I haven't heard anything about the game going free2play.
And I hope it never does.

The last time an mmo I was playing went free2play, it was because the company was shutting it down!
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-27-2010, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rek View Post
i'm afriad if STO goes f2p that what little content that we get will shrivle up and die.

please finish the game before you make it f2p devs...

there will be no motivation to finish game content if there are no angry PAYING customers maoning and groaning on the forums...
To be honest, I've been playing the game just shy of a full month, (a month counting the demo which I played before delivery of my game box) and I think the only fair thing Cryptic can do is go to F2P. I am a life long Star Trek fan and as far back as the original rumor that a ST MMO was in development I was thrilled at the idea and expectations that would bring. As we now know this project seemed doomed from the start.

What I think needs to be considered and I really do feel this is valid is this game is likely as it is because CBS wanted it out for the new movie to capitalize in an area (MMO's) that they had not been in with a very successful film to spur sales. As the film is done, the inital sales and lifetime subcriber revenue is in their pockets, there is no reason for them to invest to fix the myriad of problems, the appalling lack of bug fixes and pithy content that, unfortunately, very unfortunately seem to be all to common or all to lacking to the game. Again I say that with no joy attached to it.

The "Foundry" is a novel concept but I can't help but imagine what it really is, cloaked much like a Klngon bird of Prey, is a work around any more money being placed in further or future development/fixes of any scope more then we are seeing with the short riddle type episodes of last week. They are turning the creation of content over to the player base. Because it's cheaper to tweak existing tools and hand them out then to pay staff and writers to create valued content.

It's a dim view I know and again I say this with no joy associated with it. I think the franchise because of the rush to get this game out around the time of the film to take advantage of it and Star Treks name overall is a real blow to a franchise that has had it's share of setbacks already.

The fact I encounter bugs everyday in the game that I read, here on the fourms and on gaming review sites, were existent in the game at launch and still have not been addressed and am already a VA with nothing but dailies to look forward to, screams out the depth of the problem. The game needs to be F2P as for IP and Licensing fees? This is CBS's child. They made what real money they are going to at launch, they wont miss the fee that they themselves apply.
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-27-2010, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphicZoid
What I think needs to be considered and I really do feel this is valid, this game is likely as it is because CBS wanted it out for the new movie, to capitalize in an area that had not been in with a very successful film. As the film is done. The inital sales and lifetime subcriber revenue in their pockets, there is no reason for them to fix the myriad of problems and the appalling lack of fixes and content that, unfortunately, very unfortunately seem to be common to the game. And I say that with no joy attached to it.
CBS did not make STO or put any revenue into it. STO was a license purchased from CBS by Perpetual. Perpetual paid a fee for the license and probably agreed to pay monthly royalties. CBS did not put 1 dime toward the project nor do they have any control over the project - other then to vet material to make sure it is appropriate to the Star Trek. This was not a CBS product to capitalize on the 2009 movie. This was simply a license CBS sold to make money; just as they sold another game publisher a license to make a web-based STO game as well.
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-27-2010, 10:31 AM
Seems that a response from Dstahl (or Stormshade) commenting on this would be appropriate. I know he has mentioned previously that F2P is not a “game killer” but with CO going that direction less than a year from release, does make one ask how is STO’s health and viability over the next 12-18 months. Just a lifer asking a question about the game he loves to play.
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-27-2010, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levrysto
Seems that a response from Dstahl (or Stormshade) commenting on this would be appropriate. I know he has mentioned previously that F2P is not a “game killer” but with CO going that direction less than a year from release, does make one ask how is STO’s health and viability over the next 12-18 months. Just a lifer asking a question about the game he loves to play.
There's a whole stickied thread about his in the discussion forum with plenty of Dstahl comments in it.
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-27-2010, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
There's a whole stickied thread about his in the discussion forum with plenty of Dstahl comments in it.
Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to see.
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-27-2010, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
CBS did not make STO or put any revenue into it. STO was a license purchased from CBS by Perpetual. Perpetual paid a fee for the license and probably agreed to pay monthly royalties. CBS did not put 1 dime toward the project nor do they have any control over the project - other then to vet material to make sure it is appropriate to the Star Trek. This was not a CBS product to capitalize on the 2009 movie. This was simply a license CBS sold to make money; just as they sold another game publisher a license to make a web-based STO game as well.
I fully trust you know what you are talking about. I do however still feel my points are valid the only thing that changes is who was looking to capitalize. All my thoughts on the matter remain, other then the correction you've provided.
Lt. Commander
# 20
10-27-2010, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphicZoid
I fully trust you know what you are talking about. I do however still feel my points are valid the only thing that changes is who was looking to capitalize. All my thoughts on the matter remain, other then the correction you've provided.
It seemed to me that your thought was that CBS has no more interest in putting money into STO as it was, for lack of a better word, a gimmick to promote its movie, and thus the game was rushed. That wasn't the case at all. Perpetual had purchased the license before Paramount had even decided to make a new ST movie. Perpetual ran out of money and Cryptic purchased the license from them. While the game is in no-way perfect Cryptic had to abide by the contract Perpetual made, and for the most part they made a pretty good game in only a year and a half.

Since that time Cryptic has been nothing but committed to trying to make the game better. In 9 months they've added many new features, new races, new zones, new missions, weeklies, and many other things. Yes, the game still has a lot of bugs but gaming material took precedence over bugs. Dan has said that many of the bugs will be address with Season 3 and I'm content with that. Cryptic has done nothing but put more money and resources into the game since launch. Change might not be happening as quickly as you like but I think you'd be hard-pressed to find any MMO out there that has added as much to a game in only 9 months.