Lt. Commander
# 21
10-27-2010, 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphicZoid
They are turning the creation of content over to the player base. Because it's cheaper to tweak existing tools and hand them out then to pay staff and writers to create valued content. .
I don't believe this for even half a moment. While a nice "bonus" would be the appropriate word for what you describe, I have to point out that the players have been calling for User Generated Content since before Open Beta, and Cryptic has been churning out all kinds of content (specifically content that's been requested right here on the forums) From day one.

The Foundry is what we call a "Win, Win".
Lt. Commander
# 22
10-27-2010, 10:11 PM
CO is not going to a F2P system it is going to a F2P hybrid system. For those players that are doing the subscription or lifetime subscription, then they won't notice much. However, for those who don't pay for the game, they will be restricted in what they can do. Want to do the latest STF, then forget it since you have to be a subscriber to play. Want a particular uniform, then forget it since you have to be a subscriber. F2P as far as Cryptic is concerned is just an improved free trial of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 23
10-27-2010, 10:51 PM
Yes, the game probably did come out before it was ready.

But the way I see it, Cryptic didn't have much choice about that.
It's basically a case of "get it out now or don't get it out at all".

For example, Stargate Worlds (an online Stargate multiplayer game).
This game was scheduled to being going live more or less about now.
But the delays and postponement of the project, coupled with the fact that the Developer stopped releasing project updates (other then to say it's "on hiatus") means people stopped thinking about it.

I'm continuing to wait patiently for SGW to come out, but I'm a hardcore fan who believes the wait will be worth it. The average mmo player probably doesn't have the attention span to do that.

And that's what would have happened to Star Trek Online if they hadn't got it out there as fast as they could. Granted, it's flawed, but it's interesting to play anyway.

Tabula Rasa, although it was sabotaged by the company running it, was much the same in the beginning.
It was a pain in the neck to play, between bugs and so on. But a year or so later, it was good to play.

There are things that can only be tested by releasing the game to a public audience and playing it in real world conditions.

Besides, it gave me a chance to max out my Fed and KDF characters before the next factions go live, which means I won't be splitting my attention between 4-5 different levellings all at the same time.
And that I'm grateful for.
Lt. Commander
# 24 Champions
10-28-2010, 05:42 AM
once it gos F2P I will check it out. Dose not have the best rep but as F2P no monthly fees. CBS/Atari and hole army must give there ok before it happens to STO. Being the greedy company's they it will not happen tell the game is about to go under. They will be needed to be faced with go F2P or go under before it will happen If http://mmodata.blogspot.com/ numbers are right that chose will be made in about 6 months if the numbers stay current.
Lt. Commander
# 25
10-28-2010, 05:44 AM
Givin the state of the game at launch, the current state of the Klingon side and the game as a whole, STO going F2P anytime soon is a hopeful fantasy. They WANT this game to be good. They want to fix it, finishthe Klingons, and fix the bugs that have been in the game since release. I believe they do. They don't have to manpower, leadership, skills or some combination of that. Recoding the game to be functional F2P in the manner LOTRO did is completely beyond the abilities they have demonstrated having so far.

For the poor person patiently waiting on Stargate Worlds ,,, you might want to spend an hour with google. The CFO or CEO took a large chunk of the development money and tried to flip it in an investment, hoping to return the money to the game and have a nice bonus in the process. OPS. So when that was lost, and the company did not want to admit it mismanaged it's own affairs so poorly, the game development was allowed to trickle down, people ended up working for free trying to create something, then as far as I know it all fell apart.
Lt. Commander
# 26
10-28-2010, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levrysto
Seems that a response from Dstahl (or Stormshade) commenting on this would be appropriate. I know he has mentioned previously that F2P is not a “game killer” but with CO going that direction less than a year from release, does make one ask how is STO’s health and viability over the next 12-18 months. Just a lifer asking a question about the game he loves to play.
Don't know if you saw it, but Dstahl already made a comment about this:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=185819

Main Forum Section.
Lt. Commander
# 27
10-28-2010, 11:10 AM
Probably when WOW does. lolz.
Lt. Commander
# 28
10-29-2010, 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by madjik View Post
I don't believe this for even half a moment. While a nice "bonus" would be the appropriate word for what you describe, I have to point out that the players have been calling for User Generated Content since before Open Beta, and Cryptic has been churning out all kinds of content (specifically content that's been requested right here on the forums) From day one.

The Foundry is what we call a "Win, Win".
You may be right, time will tell.
Lt. Commander
# 29
10-30-2010, 01:12 AM
I have a feeling that Klingons will be using the Foundry more than Starfleet characters.
Lt. Commander
# 30
10-30-2010, 07:22 AM
I think you're wrong. There's a huge Fed over Klink player ratio on the forum. I think you're going to see content follow that pattern.