Lt. Commander
Okay; so this idea was kinda thrown together on our fleet TeamSpeak, and expanded into this idea. It's a bit rough around the edges and, not every single detail was hashed out ... but here we go.

PROPOSAL: Open up the Gamma Quadrant as a persistant, Open-PvP realm. Allow for Fleet Starbases and structures to be created and maintained in this area of space, via crafting and resource gathering. Allow for players to protect assets controlled by the Fleet.

GENERAL CONCEPTS:

1. The Federation has access to the Gamma Quadrant via the wormhole outside DS9. This will make further use of the wormhole, other than for a few missions. The wormhole will act as the link, or doorway, between the Open-PvP area and the current PvE environment. Precautions (pop-ups) will be added to inform the player they are entering a dangerous area of space and "are they sure?"

2. Klingongs will need to have "found" a way to access the Gamma Quadrant. Perhaps now that the Deividians are screwing around in the neutral zone - a wormhole is created from the usual cause of Star Trek technobabble. This will allow Klingons into the new area.

3. Upon entering the area; the player is 'zoned' to their station, or perhaps a "safe" zone ... term used loosely. This will attmept to prevent the spawn camping charade.

4. Everything in the Gamma Quadrant is attackable and destroyable. Ships, starbases and shipyards can all be destroyed by the opposing forces. However - this also allows for new PvP options.
A. Boarding parties. A ship can be boarded by the enemy and "overrun". The players can calll for reinforcements to help attack/defend a ship.

B. Starbase PvP. Certain objectives need to be met by the opposing force outside, as well as inside, the station for it to be destroyed. Perhaps inflicting a certain amount of damage to the structure and then beaming in to places spatial charges to "finish the job."
5. Dynamic Space Control. Since this is Federation vs. Klingons, It's basically a Red vs. Blue. The map would change to indicate control of space(s) and in those regions could be different types of resources for making better stuff. Federation Fleets work together to claim space, much like Klingons work together to hold their space. This is the "overall good" for the faction - NOT the Fleets. (This is not EVE Sovereignty)

6. Player crafted ships and "stuff" sold to the Exchange. Gamma Quadrant is "cut-off" from the Exchange due to the "distance" and wormhole effect. Players would need to ship their 'wares' back through their respective wormhole and place the items for sale. This could introduce new ship ideas.

7. Player created station that are outside the Gamma Quadrant, operate in the same manner (building, housing ... etc.); EXCEPT - they are non-attackable structures. The idea being that they are "protected" by their factions borders and are immune to attacks. This allows for fleets that don't want the Open-PvP world, to still gain the benefits of the Starbase without the headache of dealing with defense.

-----------------------END------------------------

Now there's other bits and pieces that are left out, and as I said - this isn't fully thought out yet, but it's a start. This could connect with some of the other ideas out there about the mining and resource gatherings, or the "Voyage Home" proposal could be adapted here somewhat.

The Gamma Quadrant could have hidden civilzations that "join" your Faction. However, this is merely seen as a boost to that area's defense. So, if you had Civilaztion A join the Federation (we'll say), whenever a Federation ship was in that sector (area) it got a little stat buff for ... whatever. Each civilation would offer a unique buff - this also encourages actual exploration. (Further tech would probably be needed, I'm sure, to make that work).

Things about the Player Starbases:
1. You don't fuel them - they have anti-matter reactors and all that good stuff. I mean really ... if you want to spend all day fueling POS towers - play EVE. I play EVE and I hate POS towers.

2. The Stations are multi-leveled and allow for "homes" for the fleetmates. These can be customizable and all that.

This basically allows for the "choice" of the individual player, or the entire fleet, to risk it all ... or play it safe. This is also an effort to get more of the community in fleets and have those fleets active in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-26-2010, 01:42 PM
I do not like the idea of true open PVP because there is a certain amount of pointlessness in it. The federation could win the entire zone tomorrow, and then the next day the klingons win the entire zone. There is no sense of storyline behind it.

Plus there is the whole issue of population balance. Open PVP favors the bigger faction, and the federation clearly out numbers the klingon faction. Having 3 fed players hunt 1 klingon will make it also very boring or very frustrating depending on what side you are on.

I am more infavor of large Warzone style fleet actions. A more FPS style system where there is objectives and there is an ending to a mission. It should also be a mixture of PVE and PVP like Warzones are now, except that you have faction PVE ships that patrol objectives. With Large PVP maps you could still get mismatches in the zone, but there would also be balance because it would be queue based, just like PVP is now.

I also think that having a Weekly PVP storyline with a mission map associated with it will creately increase PVP participation. Star Trek has always been about the story. If weekly missions are shaped into a story, i think it would be good for PVP participation.

Open PVP. The idea is nice but overall it is always a bit idealized then it works out in practice.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-26-2010, 01:45 PM
Fleet actions bore the pants off me, ready, steady, all sides even, no crying...... GO!!!

I say make a zone with lots of missions and have it PvP enabled, you then go about questing and being attacked or attacking others, brilliant, bring it on.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-26-2010, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanagrah
Fleet actions bore the pants off me, ready, steady, all sides even, no crying...... GO!!!

I say make a zone with lots of missions and have it PvP enabled, you then go about questing and being attacked or attacking others, brilliant, bring it on.
I disagree with this. Do not allow open PVP in a mission area with current cloaked Klingons. Disable the cloaking devices and then yes, it would be fun.

20 cloaked Klingon ships against one unsuspecting Federation player who is not geared or prepared is a load of fun .
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-26-2010, 01:54 PM
And yet Battlefield 2 is a very successful franchise and all that pvp is mission based and always even. The population imbalance will cause a significant amount of crying, and that isnt something that the devs can easily solve. And once the frustration boils over it will be abandoned by the lower faction and then what?

Open PVP zone and no PVP because only 1 side uses it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-26-2010, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribbler View Post
I disagree with this. Do not allow open PVP in a mission area with current cloaked Klingons. Disable the cloaking devices and then yes, it would be fun.

20 cloaked Klingon ships against one unsuspecting Federation player who is not geared or prepared is a load of fun .
Well if you can't cope with the realistic environment that the Federation has to cope with everyday, you Sir do not belong in Starfleet! I can't remember Kirk crying to the high command demanding the Klingons remove cloaking devices before he went exploring...lol maybe a career on DS9 as cook would be more to your play style :p
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-26-2010, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribbler View Post

No one is forcing you to go in there. You don't want Open-PvP .. you stay out. Both realms are virtually the smae except that there is the chance of you getting jumped by 20 cloaked BoPs ... alghough in sector space - you can't cloak. The Gamma Quadrant would still use the "sector space" approach as well. So there is no cloaky ships.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanagrah
Well if you can't cope with the realistic environment that the Federation has to cope with everyday, you Sir do not belong in Starfleet! I can't remember Kirk crying to the high command demanding the Klingons remove cloaking devices before he went exploring...lol maybe a career on DS9 as cook would be more to your play style :p
The Federation and Klingon Empire was not in an open war with each other in TOS. If they had, Kirk would have been in a fleet and it would have been a completely different story so use another analogy please.

The only series that had a large scale war was TNG with the Borg (single cube) and in DS9 with Cardassian/Breen/Jem'hadar vs the Federation, Klingon, Romulan forces.

They did not infiltrate deep into Federation space and was stopped with lines held. Starfleet would never allow one ship to openly go beyond the lines to get chewed up and spit out. That would be complete suicide, and so is what you suggest, and thats why it won't work. If the Federations only way to see the Klingons is with a Nebula ship in every Federation group that enters an open PVP zone, there will be few engagements. So sit quietly in your open PVP zone cloaked with your Klingon friends, you will be back here in no-time wanting something else to do.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-26-2010, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealKillerSD
No one is forcing you to go in there. You don't want Open-PvP .. you stay out. Both realms are virtually the smae except that there is the chance of you getting jumped by 20 cloaked BoPs ... alghough in sector space - you can't cloak. The Gamma Quadrant would still use the "sector space" approach as well. So there is no cloaky ships.
I did not say no open PVP. I said no open pvp zones with missions inside them. It is not right not to know how many Klingons are inside. The advantage is clearly in the Klingon favor. Yes you will get an occasional gung-ho Federation group giving you a few hours of pleasurable engagements as in Ker'rat, but every Captain knows by now not to go into Ker'rat, so now you want the devs to build you another Ker'rat type place so you can get the unsuspecting Captains some more.

I think their time is more valuable elsewhere, until they figure a way to provide more ships with cloak detectors, or give Federation ships 10 seconds of immunity for each Klingon ship that de-cloaks.

Take your pick.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-26-2010, 03:58 PM
Well Kirk would go in because Kirk had balls, so would Picard, Janeway too, it's all about having the spine to do it. Kirk has entered the neutral zone many a time so has all the others, they knew Klingon or Romulan cloaked ships were about and they still entered.

Also this is a game, it's not sticking to the exact St script, how can it? Infact it has broken so much of the script so far but thats fine, it's a game. Just because it goes against the lore means nothing at all if it's fun and I personally would love a zone where I have no idea who is there or in what strength. It's about tension, atmosphere and risk, I would love to be on a mission and suddenly a Klingon de-cloaks near my position and has a go, that would be awesome. If you can't cope then simply don't go to that zone, STO has plenty PvE to keep you happy but for us people that want some proper intense PvP it would be great.
Closed Thread